Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pacific Rim National Park vs. Olympic National Park in US?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a visit to Seattle/Vancouver and are trying to decide. I have been to Olympic NP, but never heard of Pacific Rim till recently. Anyone who can recommend one over the other? Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 01:23 PM

Well, both have beaches and rainforest but that's where the resemblance ends. I've been to both many times and would recommend seeing both if you have time.

The main question is, do you have the time to go all the way to Tofino? I wouldn't go unless you have at least 3 nights to spend out there--it's a 5 hour trip each way from either Vancouver or Victoria. Or you could fly but that gets expensive.

If you do have the time to do justice to Tofino, and can only do one park, I'd probably go for that, just because Tofino is such a spectacular place. But they really are different.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM

They are different in many ways, though they are obviously extentions of the same coastline. Both have rain forests and a rugged coast.

I believe Olympic National Park is much larger than Pacific Rim National Park, and the geographic area one visits outside of the park is much bigger, as well. ONP has glaciated mountains with stellar views. Pacific Rim National Park is much flatter. Pacific Rim National Park has more accessible bays and little islands everywhere. So, for incredibly beautiful mountains, I'd say ONP. For beautiful bays, sandy beaches (cold, though), closer water access, I'd say Pacific Rim. You can't go wrong either way.