Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Death Valley national Park and Mojave National Preserve or Death Valley National Park and Sequoia national Park in the end of March?

Death Valley national Park and Mojave National Preserve or Death Valley National Park and Sequoia national Park in the end of March?

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

After a great trip to Death Valley just a couple weeks ago, we are already planning our next visit there in the end of March 2006. We would like to add another amazing place and do some hiking but where? We worry that there could be snow at the end of March in Sequoia which may make some roads from/to Death Valley not passible and/or hiking trails not accessible. On the other hand we would like to visit Mojave National Preserve and hike there but it seems there are no accommodations near/in the park and driving from/to Las Vegas is not very appealing to us. We are trying to avoid Las Vegas at all costs especially driving in the evening traffic. We would like to spend at least two full days hiking at either of these parks. Camping is not an option for us. What would be your suggestion? Where should we go? And where should we stay? Any suggestions and reccommendations on a place to visit and places to stay? We are trying to chose a place withing easy driving distance to/from Death Valley where we are planning on spending a whole week this time. Hiking is our priority. Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 08:50 AM

Sequoia is likely to have snow. You might be able to go snowshoeing or cross-country skiing. That's what I do in that season in Yosemite.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Would Joshua Tree NP be too far? You could stay in 29 Palms, Desert Hot Springs or Palm Springs.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:59 AM
TheWeasel

Have you looked at state parks in CA and NV, or are you set on going to a national park? I'm sure there are some state parks that would fit what you're looking for.

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your helpful posts.

Michael, you helped us decide that we should skip visiting Sequoia in March. We have plenty of snow and skiing at home so we are looking for a little warmer place where we can hike this time of the year.

mlgb, it seems it is a long drive between Joshua Tree and Death Valley, although I read so many positive comments about this park. Maybe? Did you ever hike there?

TheWeasel, we are not set on going specificaly to any national park but are looking for a great place to hike in March and that wouldn't be too far from Death Valley. Death Valley is a priority on this trip but we would like to add another hiking destination. Do you have any suggestions where is the best place for spectacular hiking? We spent a whole day hiking in Red Rocks near Las Vegas on our recent trip to Death Valley and as much as we enjoyed this place I don't think we would want to do more hiking there.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 05:50 PM

Sequoia (and Kings Canyon) would be beautiful in the snow, but you'd need to carry snow chains in the car. If the prospect of (perhaps) installing snow chains doesn't deter you, I can report that the Wuksachi Lodge in Sequoia is wonderful.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Jean for your comment on Sequoia and Kings Canyon. We decided against going there in March. We have plenty of snow at home already and in March we want to get a break from a cabin fever
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Pat2003, I lived on the East Coast and the Midwest. Snow in the Sierra is not the same as snow in the aforementioned locations. For one thing, in March, the weather will tend to be relatively warm during the day (40's to 60's), and apart from possible storms, sunny. Here's what it looked like last March:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...1&tid=34614008
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 10:39 PM

I was in Sequoia this year in early June and there was still a lot of snow above 8000 feet, making hiking very difficult.

I've been to Joshua Tree 3 times. It is unusual and interesting and worth maybe 2 days. My experience has been that it doesn't give me the same feeling of awe that other California parks do (Death Valley, Sequoia, Yosemite).
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Micheal, we just don't want to bring all winter hiking clothing with us. Also our friends from Alaska are planning on joining us for 3 days in Death Valley so all of us are looking for a few days of warmer weather. But thanks for your interesting suggestion

John, thank you again. Maybe we just stop at Mojave National Park for a day to/from Death Valley. But we would like to do some hiking there. Sequoia has to wait