COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Yellowstone Lake

Old May 16th, 2003, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Yellowstone Lake

if i have 2 nights in yellowstone and am spending one at Old faithful lodge and then driving up and around the grand canyon of yellowstone area is there someting to do to spend the night at yellowstone lake?
Old May 16th, 2003, 04:19 AM

Are you asking if there are places to stay in the Lake area? If so, the answer is yes:
http://www.nps.gov/yell/pphtml/lodging.html

If you are asking if there is something you can do to make a near-future reservation, then the answer is: call the reservation desk repeatedly and hope for a cancellation.

If you are asking if there is something to do while staying in the Lake area, the answer is again yes: lots and lots to do (but no nightclubs that I know of).
Old May 16th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

i am sorry that i was not clear in my question. i am asking what there is to do in yellowstone lake area.
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:33 AM

West Thumb has a nice lakeside boardwalk and some colorful thermal pools. Be prepared for mosquitoes.

There are rental boats available at Bridge Bay Marina:
http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/todo/boating.htm
From what I hear, Lake Yellowstone can be quite treacherous, though, with sudden storms.

There are numerous day hikes.
http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/to...s/hikelake.htm
There is a Natural Bridge in the Bridge Bay area, at the end of a 1.5 mile hike.

Lake Butte Overlook is just off the East Entrance Road on the NE shore of the lake.

The Hayden Valley, between Canyon and Lake, can be a good place to see wildlife. Usually lots of Bison, maybe elk, coyote, waterfowl. From what I've heard, grizzly and wolf sightings are more and more common in the area (usually in the distance).

The Mud Volcano stop is a smaller thermal area with several mud pots and bubbling pools just north of the Fishing Bridge area.
Old May 29th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Maira

The area of West Thumb Lake- Yellowstone lake is very beautiful and known for high bear activity (if wildlife is a plus for you). We stayed a couple of nights at the Yellowstone Lake Hotel-- in the National Register of Historical Places. It was expensive, though. We also stayed one night in Cooked City at the Alpine Hotel (just outside the northeast entrance); enjoyable, comfortable, reasonable.

Old May 30th, 2003, 04:59 AM

One of the bets things about Yellowstone is that there is indeed "something to do" no matter where you are staying in the park!
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:11 AM

you can get a wilderness pass and canoe to the other side. camp there and you really are away from it all.
Old May 30th, 2003, 08:14 PM

The trick with Yellowstone is to find your accomodation, then plan from there. There is always something to see or do in this park. Go, enjoy and absorb the beauty.