Fishing in Lake Yellowstone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Putting the finishing touches on our Yellowstone itinerary for next month. We have the opportunity to charter a Fishing Boat and fish in Lake Yellowstone one afternoon. I am torn. On the one hand, I KNOW my little boys would LOVE it. On the other hand, it is giving up an afternoon (but in a good way) in an already packed trip. AND, I read somewhere that the Lake is so cold the best fishing is done from shore anyway. So, has anyone done this? If so, would you do it again?

Thanks
taitai
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 01:19 PM

I worked in the park a couple of summers while in college and used to slip off to Sand Point (west of Lake Junction) to fish for cutthroat trout almost every afternoon from shore. Nice quiet place, usually caught 2-4 trout in a couple hours but you have to cast out a ways (I had waders).

Also had a 17 ft canoe at times and would hook even more trout from the boat while quietly paddling near points. On a guided trip I'd guess you'll have plenty of chances.

So I would say 'go for it'. Gull Point Drive is also usually good from shore, but more crowded. Would suggest taking the 'little boys' to Fishing Bridge, where you can see the trout clearly at the lake outlet.

Some good info at this link in the last section:

http://www.redrockadventure.com/wate...stone-Lake.php
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 01:28 PM

I think a whole day fishing on a lake is overkill!! And I love to trout fish. What are you going to do with the fish? Do you get to fish other places/at home? There is little doubt you will catch fish--they will probably guarantee it. We caught them in some streams in the Grand Tetons. Cold is good for trout.
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

No, it would not be a whole day. My kids could not handle that. It would just be for a couple hours one morning or afternoon. While we are staying at Canyon, OFI and Mammoth, my parents are parking their massive RV at Fishing Bridge. So, anything we catch, we can cook there for dinner. My sons really want to catch an fish and then eat it for dinner.

I guess I should plan on this one.

Thanks for the advice.

Taitai
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 05:37 PM

So, anything we catch, we can cook there for dinner. My sons really want to catch an fish and then eat it for dinner.

Need to check the regulations carefully, most of the fish in Yellowstone lake are a pure breed of native cutthroat (there is no stocking of hatchery fish in Yellowstone Park) and I think you have to release all you catch (this has changed over the years, so check, but probably all native cutthroats must be released unharmed).

If you catch a lake trout, an invasive species illegally introduced by eco-terrorists several years ago, then you can definitely kill and eat them. Maybe your guide knows where the lake trout can be found?
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 04:01 AM

Then I would REALLY go for it!! Fresh caught fish--a real treat!! Good luck.
I suspect there are more than just cutthroats in the lake so if you have to release them, there may be another kind along. And certainly the guide would know.
But even the thrill of a hooking the fish you release would be super!! I'm envious. It would be a great memory for the boys.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Cutthroats, mountain whitefish and one other type of fish have to be released. Everything else can be kept. When I talked to the Xanterra people about this, they said that the boat charters included all the gear, a guide and the cleaning and preparing of anything caught. So, I think we are safe on the eating thing. I think the guys would really, really love it.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Just a quick update. I have learned that if you do catch something and have it cleaned, the restaurants within the park will cook it for you for a nominal fee ($6).
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:38 AM

NOW I'm jealous. Have a ball!!
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
It sounds like a great idea. I wish we had done it!