Yellowstone & Grand Teton Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're taking our first trip to these parks in September and want to take a short horseback ride in one or both. There's three different places to leave from in Yellowstone and a few in Grand Teton. Does anyone have any recommendations? We'd like to see scenery that would not be easy to get to by car.

Also, we're thinking of the photo excursion that leaves the Lake Yellowstone hotel every morning. Does anyone have experience with that? Worthwhile? Big bus or smaller group?

Thanks for any feedback.
Old Jul 25th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Might I make a suggestion? Taking a excursion of any type you are left at the mercy of the tour operator. If they want to stop for 10 minutes at West Thumb geyser basin and you want to spent 30 minutes you're out of luck. If you see a bull elk but it is laying down and you want to get a photo of it standing, you're probably out of luck since they have a time table to keep. If you are serious about your photography, go on your own. Since this is your first visit you probably want to "see it all". You might want to get a copy of Photograher's guide to Yellowstone & the Tetons by Joseph K. Lange. Gives you suggestions to where and time of day to be at various locations.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the advice and the fact that on a tour you are on a schedule. But we're only amateur photogs and it might be worth the trade-off to be taken where the wildlife is supposed to be and not have to do the navigating. But if it's a big tour bus, then I don't want to do it.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 11:24 AM

I've not taken a photo tour, but the ranger led hike I took to petrified trees in Yellowstone was a great experience. Also, check the Yellowstone Park message boards. There are serious photo and nature Yellowstone experts there that know where to go and when to see wildlife. Amazing resource.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Jayne1973

http://www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/wwwboard/chat2.htm

Here's a Yellowstone chat page that should be a big help.

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 08:23 AM

RuthMc,

Finding wildlife is a hit and miss and I can't belive that a tour group could guarentee you will see anymore than what you can find on your own.

Get up early in the morning or near dusk and spend some time in Hayden Valley. You will see wildlife! Buffalo will be seen at anytime of the day.

Utahtea
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:46 AM

One spot where you're just about guaranteed to see bison up close is down Antelope Flats Road in the Teton. Also down that road is the Moulton Barn, a must subject for any photographer.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll definitely check out the suggested links. After posting my message, I learned that the only horseback riding in Yellowstone when we'll be there is one-hour rides leaving from Mammoth, so that solves my problem if we want to ride in Yellowstone.

Anybody have experience with the rides from Jackson Lake Lodge in Grand Teton?