Search

Yankee Stadium

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yankee Stadium

Due to costruction on the GW & Cross Bronx EXP. how can I get to the stadium on Saturday from NJ by car ?
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 08:14 AM

First, I doubt the GW Bridge and Cross Bronx Expressway will be completely "closed" due to construction - that never happens. When I lived in NY I drove that route every day for 30+ years and and was always able to access any of the major roadways. For what it is worth, I visited the area a couple weeks ago and found while there was construction in the area where bridge traffic meets the Cross Bronx and Major Deegan there was no real problem getting to either roadway in either direction.

So from NJ easiest would be to take GW Bridge and follow the signs for the Major Deegan Expressway (I-87) South. The I-87 interchange will will be right after you cross the Alexander Hamilton Bridge and shortly after you emerge from the covered section of the road that runs under some apartment buildings. If you watch the signs you can miss the interchange. Traffic always runs a little slow at this point so it's fairly easy to negotiate. Once on I-87 exit at Yankee Stadium.

Your other alternative is to go across the GW Bridge and take the exit for the Harlem River Drive (aka FDR Highway/East River drive) and exit at West 155th Street and go across Macombs Dam Bridge which will take you directly to Yankee stadium.

The difference between these two routes is small. In option one you'll use the Alexander Hamilton Bridge to cross the East River and drive down on the east side of the river. The second option has you driving down the west side of the river and crossing at Macombs dam Bridge.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

I want to avoid the GW bridge . I was told to use the Licoln tunnel & then the West Side Highway to Yankee Stadium. This construction is all beginning on Saturday. They are predicting major backups
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Well, yes, since you have to cross the Hudson from NJ into Manhattan in order to get to Yankee Stadium, that's your only other choice. So do that if you want to drive.

But I'd make the modest proposal that this might be a chance to try out public transportation. Take NJ Transit into the city and then the subway up to Yankee Stadium. It might save you some time.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 09:47 AM

You would have to take the West Side Highway up to the exit for the GWB and then take the exit the other direction across Manhattan and into the Bronx.

The problem is that driving to the Stadium is a hue PIA any time - unless you get there at least 3 hours before the game starts you will be in bumper to bumper traffic to get into a parking lot.

If you are anywhere near a NJ Transit station - it probably would be faster'easier to do that and subway - assuming NJT runs late enough to get you home if it's a night game.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 11:31 AM

Yankees home games routinely create one hour or longer road delays . Leaving the stadium by car will not be fun either. I agree with all the suggestions to take public transit or go several hours early. It may even be easier to park in Manhattan . Weekend street parking here is not as bad during the summer.