Merritt Pkwy to Upper East Side

Old Dec 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merritt Pkwy to Upper East Side

Hi, I'm coming from Boston via the Merritt.
I've got directions via Saw Mill, ect., that will put me on the West Side Highway. How do I get from there to East 79th Street? I will be driving Friday mid-day. Thanks!!
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 02:04 PM

The Merritt connects to Hutchison River Parkway. Continue on I-278 to Triboro Bridge. Make sure you make that right turn to Manhattan on the Triboro. Then south on FDR till around the cross street you need to go.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM

I would think you would be better off not taking the West Side Highway but going from the Deegan (95) south to the Third Avenue Bridge which takes you into Manhattan and onto the FDR on the east side. Someone else will have to clarify, as I never take the Saw Mill. Be prepared for traffic whichever way you go.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 02:39 PM

We've tried every which route from NH and now always take the Triborough Bridge. That right turn is easy to miss. As you approach the bridge on I-278, when you see the toll booths get over to the right and look carefully for a small sign "FDR" and one lane exit ramp - take this to another set of toll booths and over the Triborough. Best FDR exit is probably 13 to 73rd. Then first right on York and to 79th (go right for >500, left for <500).
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 02:45 PM

Both answers make sense but taking the 3rd ave. bridge can be tricky. I would follow rkkwan's advice.

I went to mapquest to see what they'd say starting just "in boston" and ending at east 79th st. They direct you using the Mass pike (I 90)to I 84 to I 91 to I 95 to 278 W to Triboro Bridge. Assume you have a good reason to take the Merritt and Saw Mill. The Saw Mill is one of those twisty roads. Not my favorite.

However you decide to go, you really want to get to the Triborough bridge and then follow signs to the FDR Drive. You get off of the FDR drive at the 96th st exit and take local streets to wherever on 79th.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 04:59 PM

The FDR is fine but you need to get off at 96th street - then head down 2nd avenue to 79th street. (If you stay on the FDR longer than that you won;t be able to get off until 72 st and will then have to backtrack.)
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 07:28 PM

No need to take the Saw Mill River Parkway. The Cross County Parkway connects from the Hutchison to the New York Thruway (aka the Major Deegan in NYC). Just make sure you stay on the right lane because there are express lanes that do not allow you to turn off to the Thruway. The Thruway turn off is right after the only shopping center you will see on your left. Stay in the left lane on the Major Deegan once past 207 St. to avoid the George Washington bridge access ramp backup and once past the connection to the GW bridge, stick to the right to take the Third Ave. bridge into Manhattan.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 05:01 AM

Follow rkkwan's advice. I've tried different routes, but that is the best. Also, as everyone has said, get to the right on the Triboro. You'll have to cross a couple of lanes of traffic as soon as you get there.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 06:02 AM

It occurs to me no one has really answered your question. If you want to go your way and wind up on the West Side Hway (actually the Henry Hudson Parkway), get off either at the 95/96 st exit or the 79 st exit. You will then have to head east (left) and drive through Central Park to get to the east side. There is a crossing through the park at 96/97 st and another at 81 st. (You will see green signs that say "to east side") The one at 81 st exits the park on the east side at 79 st and you'd just keep going until you reach your destination. They sometimes close the east/west roads to vehicular traffic, but I don't think you should have a problem at 81 st. mid-day.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:23 PM
sandi

I started to sweat as soon as you mentioned the Saw Mill... twisty, twisty and narrow lanes. No way.

Go the Triboro route and stay to your right to exit to the FDR. When you get off the FDR at 96th St exit, to take 2nd Ave downtown, stay in the right exit lane; at the light turn right to 2nd Ave where you turn left and continue downtown to 79th St. Depending on the address - #300 higher, turn left, #300 lower turn right.

Or when exiting 96th Street, stay in left exit lane and continue straight ahead which becomes York Avenue. Take this to 79th St. - for address #500 higher turn left, for #500 lower turn right.

But avoid the Saw Mill!

Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
rqf

If you decide to use the Saw Mill and the West Side highway exit the highway at 79th St (not 96th).Continue straight ahead on W. 79th to Amsterdam Ave., (Riverside Drive, West End Ave. Broadway, Amsterdam). Make a left on Amsterdam and drive to 81st St. Make a right at 81st St.and continue straight ahead. You will come to Central Park. Take the transverse road through the park and you will exit onto E. 79th.