New York City Driving

Search

New York City Driving

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York City Driving

We are planning a trip to NYC in May and will be traveling by car from TN. We will come into NJ on I-78.

Our hotel is on West 79th street (Lucerne). Would it be better to go across the George Washington Bridge and come south on the Westside Highway to 79th or take the Lincoln Tunnel in midtown and go up the Westside Highway?

Thanks for your help
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:33 AM

Definitely take the George Washington bridge to Westside Highway and get off at the 79th Street exit off of the highway.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:33 AM

All depends on what time of day you're coming in, but 99 percent of the time the GWB's traffic is much lighter than the Lincoln's. My suggestion is to grab the Bridge and go down the West Side Highway, actually called the Henry Hudson Parkway on the signs on the Bridge.. The Lincoln is only smooth riding in the middle of the night...Have agreat trip
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:54 AM

Definitely take the George Washington bridge to Westside Highway and get off at the 79th Street exit off of the highway.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:04 PM

This really depends on what time of day and what day of the week you will be arriving into the area. Also, if you plan to take I-78 to where it meets I-95, or taking I-78 to 287 to 80.

If you are taking I-78 to the New Jersey Turnpike (I-95), then I would recommend the following: (I am assuming you will have 2 or more people in the car)

6am to 10am arrival at I-95: Do not get on I-95, rather take Route 1 and 9 over the Pulaski Skyway to the Holland Tunnel. Take Upper Manhattan/North exit to the West Side Highway, take West Side Hwy to 10th Avenue, just keep going up 10th avenue to were it becomes Amsterdam and make a left onto 79th Street.

11am to 3pm: You can take either the above mentioned Holland Tunnel route or get on I-95 and go North to the Eastern Spur to exit 16E to the Lincoln Tunnel, when you come out of the Lincoln Tunnel, resist the urge to go uptown and head downtown to 34th street, make a Right on 34th(go west) to either 10th avenue (directions as above) or to West Side Highway and then up to 79th street exit.

3pm to 8pm: Recommend the Holland Tunnel
8pm to 6am: Either Holland or Lincoln

If you will be going 78 to 287 to 80, then just go over the GWB, it will just be easier and it is rare for the Lincoln Tunnel to be better than the GWB.

However, an accident on any of these routes can tie up traffic for hours, the best thing to do is to put on 1010Wins on the am dial when you get into NJ. They give traffic and transit every 10 minutes on the "1s" 01, :11, etc). Listen for "the Hudson River crossings" and they'll give you the run down of each crossing (Holland Tunnel, Lincoln Tunnel and GWB). Before you get to 287, if GWB is better than Holland or Lincoln by 30 minutes or more and there are no tie-ups on Route 80 east bound, then head toward the bridge. On weekday mornings, the Holland Tunnel is generally the best because it has more restrictions (no single passenger vehicles). The weekends are a craps shot, but believe it or not on a saturday/sunday afternoon, the Lincoln tunnel can be the best.

If you want the best scenic route into NYC, then take the GWB and head for the upper deck. At night, if you want an up close but panoramic view of the midtown and downtown skyscrapers, then head for the Lincoln Tunnel, the view on a clear night is awesome.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:59 PM

Anytime other than the rush hours, I recommend taking the Lincoln especially since you're coming in on I-78, which is more direct. When you exit the tunnels, you will have to turn left and you will head straight towards 42nd st. which is perpendicular.

Just drive at your speed and don't feel like you need to compete with the other maniacs, especially the taxis.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 01:26 AM

Methinks: Thanks for that detailed explanation of city access at different times of the day! We're leaning seriously toward a stay in the fair city in the next couple of months, and (perhaps foolishly,) driving. If we do, your info will be invaluable. Again, my thanks.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 09:13 AM
GoTravel

May I suggest parking outside the city and taking a train in? Hotel parking can easily cost upwards of $50 per day and that isn't even in/out. Also, parking isn't for the faint of heart.

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 09:15 AM

Very good suggestion from Methinks on the Holland tunnel if you can manage it.

To complicate things a bit, the Lucerne is on the north side of 79th st & 79th street goes 2 ways, east & west. So if you get off the West Side Highway on 79th st. you will be heading east & will be on the wrong side of the street to drop off luggage at the hotel. Someone else needs to help here to get you in front of the hotel because I can't remember how to do it (DO NOT make a u-turn). Some funny things happen around the museum of Natural history. Also, the parking for the Lucerne is not AT the hotel. They have an arrangement with a garage a few blocks away so get specific directions after dropping off the rest of your party. Have a great time!
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Bo

Although anything can happen at almost any time of day, the Holland Tunnel has been extremely LIGHT since 9/11.

I'd recommend taking I-78 straight into the Holland Tunnel (portion of I-78 is a toll as it turns into the NJ Turnpike Extension, shouldn't change your plans at all, but just an FYI)

Once thru the tunnel take the West Side highway up to the cross street you need.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 02:02 PM
Rob

Tune in AM 660 or 880 for traffic reports every 8 minutes or so. Use the Lincoln or the Bridge depending on the traffic report. . Would not even consider the H olland unless the other two have long delays. The best choice would be the Lincoln. After exiting the tunnel take the first left and go the short distance to10th Ave. Make a right onto 10th and proceed to 79th. 10th becomes Amsterdam, Once on 10th you will be less than 2 miles from the hotel.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 03:18 PM

The Holland Tunnel has prohibited trucks since 9/11, that's why it's less crowded these days (and less likely to have delays). I can now get from Newark Airport to Brooklyn in 25 minutes!

Where did the trucks go? To the Verrazano Br., Lincoln Tunnel, and GWB.