Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Yankee Stadium - from NJ (Paterson): GW Bridge or West Side Hwy?

Old Jun 12th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi all. We're going to a Yankees game next week. My husband and I are arriving separately. He will be in the Paterson, NJ area (driving), and I will be in Manhattan. I was planning to take the subway to Yankee Stadium, but I just learned that I cannot bring a backpack into the stadium. We were going to meet inside the stadium, but now I will have to meet him at the car somewhere to stash my backpack.

I thought I'd have to figure out where he is going to park the car, but my husband is now wondering if he should come into Manhattan and pick me up there.

He's planning on leaving NJ around 4:30p, so we are aware that the GW Bridge isn't going to a picnic. Will it be significantly harder to drive into the city via one of the tunnels v. GW?
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 07:02 PM

I assume you will be in midtown Manhattan. Neither bridge nor tunnel will be a party at 4:30 pm. AND, if he drives in through a tunnel, you will be stuck driving half the length of Manhattan at rush hour to reach the Stadium. If he opts for this, I'd suggest he leave earlier than 4:30 to allow for an hour of messy traffic after meeting you in midtown.

The GW Bridge is the much more direct route to Yankee Stadium for him. I'd see if there was a spot in the Stadium neighborhood where you could meet up before he parked the car.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, ellenem, we will meet at the stadium.

Do you have any suggestions on where we could meet in the Yankee Stadium area?
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 10:15 PM

If you don't mind walking a bit, here's a idea, the Hamilton Heights area has several garages and from here you can walk over the 155th st Bridge to the stadium. You can often find parking on St. Nicholas or one of the side streets in the area as well. Take the A train to 145th and you can meet up here, park and walk to the stadium.

If your DH takes the bridge take the exit off toward the Harlem River Drive and follow it to 155th St / ST. Nicholas Exit.

Enjoy!!
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 05:26 AM

You might want to consider having him park at the Port Authority terminal. Entrance is just outside the tunnel as you enter Manhattan. Best part is that as you leave the city you can zip right into the Lincoln Tunnel.

If you meet there can just head downstairs to the subway level and take the A train. Take the A to 125th Street and chance for the B or D train to the Stadium.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 06:54 AM

Picking you up in the city and then driving to the Stadium will be hell and makes no sense. Take the subway to the stadium, early and go to one of the local businesses (sports bar or similar) and pay them to hold your backpack. (Or better yet - just leave the backpack at the hotel or wherever - do you rally need it to trek around Manhattan.)

Also be aware that parking at the stadium is limited and it will take him a long time to wait in line and then find a spot. Going over the GWB is by far the easiest way to the Stadium since you get off the first exit in the Bronx and then just go a couple of exits south on the Deegan.