Reload this Page >

xmas week getaway from Philly

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Leslie

My husband and I want to get out of town for a few days Christmas week. We were going to go to our favorite island in the sun, but decided we'd rather not deal with airports & flying. So now we're looking for a good place within a couple hours drive from Philly. We thought of NYC, but I'm from there and I'd rather go someplace I don't know too well. I thought of the Poconos, but I don't want one of those cheesy places with the heart-shaped jacuzzis. We would like nice scenery, excellent food available, a spacious and upscale room or suite, and someplace where we can take a walk or ride bikes and NOT have to get dressed up. Money is not a consideration. I also thought of Wilmington because I'm a big Caesar Rodney fan & it's supposed to have a great museum and some good restaurants. Also Lancaster because it's not far and I know it has great food and because it's rural. I would really like to hear some good ideas. We're in our 40s/50s. Oh, yeah -- fitness facilities are a must. A gym and indoor pool would be really great, but if there's a really great place that doesn't have those, we can bring along our own weights. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Susan

Look at Hershey Resort. We had a great visit there. Upscale, museums, good restaurants. We loved it there.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Leslie

Do you mean the Hotel Hershey?

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:52 AM
metoo

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 09:08 AM
goNets

I'd suggest Annapolis. Very pretty town. Plenty to do. Easy trip from Philly and the US Naval Academy is there.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Nancy

Leslie, We wanted to go away Thanksgiving weekend and only wanted to drive a couple of hours, but decided to go to Newport, RI, since it was highly recommended to us. We're staying in a B&B that has a pillow menu, soap menu and bottled water menu....www.abigailstonemaninn.com. It's about a 5 hour ride from Philly. You may want to check out Mystic, CT which is about a 4 hour drive. If that's too far check out www.thefrenchmanor.com. It's in the Poconos and very classy, not cheesy at all. We are also in our 40's/50's. Have fun!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 12:25 PM
j max

I would recommend you spend a night at the GETTYSBERG HOTEL in historic gettysberg..Its an historic hotel with lots of history,and all the modern conviences..you can walk,horseback ride,or tour by car the battlefield.. take a walking goast tour in the evening,then return to the hotel for a drink..You will need it!!!! Next day drive to lancaster its a wonderful part of penna.. Enjoy