Search

One week in Cartagena?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One week in Cartagena?

Hi,

I'm wondering if you guys think that a one week vacation in Cartagena inside the walled city is too long or not... Should we split the week into 2 destinations or does Cartagena offer easy cheap day trips to keep things interesting for a week? And how big is the walled old section, is it enough to discover new things for a few days or could it be all seen in 1 day? And finally, the plane + hotel are at a good price, but I read that it's an expensive city, what can I expect in terms of eating expenses and are there cheap grocery stores where we can buy sandwiches, fruits, nuts, cereals, etc. in order to not eat out in restaurants all the time?

I went a few years back to Puerto Vallarta and stayed in the old section of the city, and I did a few easy excursions by bus to Sayulita and Boca de Tomatlan... It was a great vacation for me because it was all sea front, lots of great walks, restaurants, shops, good atmosphere... It was a combination of relaxing but also sightseeing... I'm trying to see if Cartagena and its day trips can offer a similar type of vacation or if it's too different... I know for sure that Cartagena is more picturesque which is a big plus.

Also besides Puerto Vallarta, how would destinations like Havana and Panama City compare to Cartagena in your opinion in terms of experience for 1 week vacation... I've never been but I'm considering them too... Thanks
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 08:10 AM

We spent around 10 days in Cartagena and enjoyed our time there. Was it too long? Probably, but we were on a long trip so it is nice to spend a little more time in places.

The old city is not very big and you could probably see much of all there is to see in a couple of days. There are day trips to various beaches and islands ( rosaraio islands?.) from Cartagena.

We enjoyed our side side trip to Mopox. It's a long way though, about 5 hours by car. A beautiful colonial town with lots of history and some great trips out into the swamps and lakes. Amazing if you are into bird watching. .

Colombia was very cheap by European standards but by far the most expensive place we visited in Colombia. There is a great street food scene going on so you don't always need to eat in restaurants. There are also plenty of supermarkets, grocer stores and markets if you have access to a kitchen. If this is your first visit to the country why not split your time, say Bogotá and Cartagena.

Some photos of our time in Colombia this year on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/colombia/ which may provide a few Unfortunately I have yet to get around to post about Cartagena, hopefully in the next week or two.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 08:22 AM

Cartagena is far more picturesque than Puerto Vallarta..the old town has a "Pirates of the Caribbean" feel. I was only there for a day off a cruise ship and there are "things to see".It's considered a fairly safe city, although as far as walking around be aware that it can be very hot..

Get on that blog crellston!
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys... the idea was to book a package of plane + hotel for 1 week, so that's why I'm trying to see if 1 week in Cartagena + a few day trips close by would be worth it and enough to stay interesting and exciting... Mopox being 5 hours away seems too far. lol Unfortunately I'm not ready to make a big trip and tour the whole country with many destinations... I am looking for an easy 1 week trip into a nice city that is relaxing but also enough to keep occupied and exciting... Kind of like my trip to Puerto Vallarta... lol
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 06:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We spent three or 4 nights there as part of a longer stay in Colombia. We're not beach folks so I'd say for us a week might be too long, but you may feel differently. It's a cute smallish town and you can really easily see it all in a couple days. You can also hang out in the cafes and bars and stay at a hotel with a pool. We did a fun food tour oNe afternoon. As crellston said you can do some trips to beaches. Also agree that it was by far the most expensive place we visited in Colombia which was incredibly inexpensive. Bottom line, you could easily hang out and I think enjoy a week in Cartagena. If you click on my name you can see my TR on our time there.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 06:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Here's out TR http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...o-colombia.cfm. We were there 3 nights.
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks yestravel! Yes, an hotel with a pool could be an interesting option...
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 03:55 PM

Or stay at the beach and take a taxi into town the days you want to tour there and relax with a sea view.. The holiday Inn north of the city looks nice. we are considering this very same idea. taxis are cheap and there are also buses.. having such a lovely coastline and being within walls may be a shame if weather is nice.
Old Mar 12th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. It definitely is an interesting option. When considering a beach hotel outside of the walled city I was looking mainly at the close by Bocagrande area but I kept reading that the beach was not good and also full of vendors, so it felt pointless. But the area north of Cartagena seems to have better beaches and is still close. Interesting. Ideally I think I would stay 1 week inside the walled city, but you're right that by choosing a hotel like the holiday inn morros, it could be a nice mix of both beach and culture thanks to a few day trips to the walled city.
Old Mar 16th, 2017, 07:43 PM

I was in Cartagena this summer with my family. Loved it! A week will be fine. You will have lots of down time.

There are lots of great restaurants and popsicle shops to visit. The beach is not as dreamy as I would have imagined, but it was fine. You can always just enjoy the pool at your hotel.

I recommend staying inside the walled city. We LOVED our stay at Hotel Quadrifolio. I could stay just at the hotel for a week, never leaving, and be happy. We could see the ocean from the rooftop deck. Great food. Lovely pool. 2 living rooms for activities, reading, watching TV/movies. Absolutely lovely.

Your hotel should be able to arrange tours for you. We enjoyed walking whenever and wherever. I would not have enjoyed cabbing into town.

Keep in mind, Cartagena is hot--year round, all the time. You walk out the door and will be drenched in sweat (I am from Miami and live in New Orleans--I know hot). Pack accordingly. Every hotel has laundry service available, but I found it expensive. I did my own at a local place, Beer and Laundry. It was a great experience. The owner spoke English and we talked about everything. Plus, the place is spotless.

We also visited Bogota and liked it too, but Cartagena is really special.

You are going to have a grand time. I am already looking forward to returning!
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 06:55 AM

We stayed 10 days in the walled city of Cartagena and did not feel it was too long (or too short either!). We did two sides trips - ferry to one of the islands for the day; and trip to the volcanic mud baths (very unique -- give it a try!). Just note that Cartagena is not a "beach" city. It's a port city; but you can take the ferries to islands for the day - cheap and a short ride.

The walled city is small, but exploring on foot (and getting lost) is fun. GREAT food and inexpensive local places; Columbians are fun and talkative; the buildings are charming. We walked on top of the wall each morning; a great way to see the city!

We stayed at the Hotel Boutique las Carretas; perfect location, lovely rooms, helpful staff, and yummy breakfast included. Rooftop pool and rooftop sitting areas.

As another poster mentioned, it's hot! From about 3 - 5 is a perfect time to pop in the small interesting museums. Or have a cold beer.....

One of the best things about Cartagena, is that there's constant music and festivities in the evenings (and it does cool down at night somewhat). You can walk from plaza to plaza and see Columbian dancing, hear music, etc. Perfect for after dinner.

I would definitely return to Cartagena.
Old Mar 26th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Wow thanks again, I'm glad that 7-10 days in Cartagena walled city was not long. I love to relax at one place for a while so I think it will be fine. I don't want to pack and unpack every few days. By reading your posts you guys again confirmed for me that Cartagena is a great vacation spot, I will definitely visit. Thanks to also for both hotel recommendations.