Reload this Page >

How long is your average vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Lilly

Just curious, how many days do you normally take for your vacation. We are considering going to Hawaii this year, and are thinking about doing a 2 week vacation. We normally only do 7 days or less.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 05:28 AM
Lilly

Ooops I also meant to include, what's the longest amount of days you have taken for a vacation?

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 06:01 AM
lulu

I've never been away for more than a week. Too complicated with a dog, kid and house to be looked after.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Lois

Hi Lilly, I usually take a week at a time.. well the work week.. and part of 2 weekends so that would be closer to 10 days.
I have never been gone longer than that at one stretch. Partially because of the time thing..being away from work for a week, rather than 2 in a row and also financially. Its just me, so its hard to save for one week!
If I could figure a way to take 2 weeks in a row..I might do it one day.
Have a great time in Hawaii. Everyone says its awesome though I havent been (YET)

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Jen

Usually a week to 10 days (including the weekends before and after the work week). We did all 4 main islands a couple summers ago with the kids and spent three weeks there. It was great!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Christy

My husband and I took 2 weeks off two summers ago and went to Italy. What a difference two weeks make. I don't know about you, but it takes me a couple of days to unwind...and on a week-long vacation, by the time I'm really in the "vacation groove" it's time to go home.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:43 AM
natalie

Usually a week for a US destination. Sometimes hubby likes to come home Sat to rest up a little. 12-14 days Europe. This year will be the longest ever 18 days in Italy - I may get homesick! By all means you could definately do 14 days in Hawaii, esp. if you island hop. Sounds tempting! It will give you so much more time to do things off the beaten track.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 10:11 AM
molly

2 - 3 weeks, for the reasons aforementioned. Takes so long to prepare, unwind. Kind of like moving, when or if I do, it'll be somewhere far away, and we'll stay in place for a long time; too tramatic and the transition too difficult to do too frequently.
It's funny - Any longer than 2-3 weeks, and I do get homesick!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 10:26 AM
ChildCare Lady

I have a home daycare and my husband has 4 weeks a year. We always take the first 2 weeks in June (after the kids are out of school), and usually take another 5 days throughout the year. We've gone anywhere longer than 7 nights, but this year....we are going to San Diego for 5 nights, Vegas for 3 nights, and Magic Mountain for 2 nights (driving). If we are ever able to do Alaska, I would definately do at least 10 - 12 days. If we go back to Hawaii next year, I want to do 10 nights. Once you get on a plane -- anywhere -- you might as well stay as long as you possibly can.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 01:48 PM
xxx

With us it all depends on where we are going. I would say always a week minimum 7-10 days. This year we are doing a cruise for 7 days then 3 days post cruise in PR. We are going to New Orleans. We started with 5 days but I think we will go for a week. I always need a day or 2 after coming home to relax, before going back to work.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:35 PM
ccc

My average vacation is never long enough.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 05:32 PM
xxx

ditto above.... I know that's right!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 07:12 PM
NOT Long Enough

Have had vacations from 7 to 21 days, my job gives me 5 and 1/2 weeks off per year (with pay), we are ENCOURAGED to take a week off every 3 months to avoid burn out, due to the high stress of the job (prison nurse). I have not always travelled, but learned to remodel and refinish furniture for one vacation. It was a treat to go places in our town that I had never been to.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 07:26 PM
l

I've taken vacations that range anywhere from 2-3 days (mini-vaction)to 5 weeks in Europe (although only part of that was vacation). Usually average 7-10 days. For Hawaii I would recommend 10 days to 2 weeks. We were only there for 1 week and I felt it wasn't nearly long enough, esp. after travelling so far. There is so much to see that you will fill up your time quickly. Have fun!

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 07:28 PM
tomgerger

ya gotta take 2 weeks every year just to get away from it all - just to get a grip on the reality of life...

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 07:34 PM
xx

Back in the '80s when I had four weeks vacation, I would take two one week and one two week vacations. Being retired, trips to France and Great Britain have been at least three weeks. Stateside. i would not go away for less than ten days.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Kristi

My husband and I have 52 weeks to chose from. It is pleasure to be retired and be able to travel as often as we want. So we spend about 21-22 weeks away from home taking 7-8 trips per year. We travel within our country and abroad.
Don't worry your time will come sooner than you think

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 08:30 PM
p.

Recently been a week, so as not to use your whole TWO weeks' annual vacation all at once. When will US companies' vacation policies become civilised ?

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 10:24 PM
bj

We live in Holland and I currently have 31 vacation days per year, which is the maximum for our company. My husband and I easily manage two 3-week holidays per year, usually travelling to the states to visit relatives and tour the endless destinations. The thought of only having two weeks vacation per year is depressing, although I grew up in the states and started my working days there, so I know what it feels like. US workers should definitely lobby for more time off!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Lois

Kristy, you sound like my Dad and his friend. They are both retired and they go all the time..He loves to plan ( doesnt like the computer) but I think in a past life he was a travel agent LOL.
They dont take as many trips as you do per year but they can book things whenever they want and thankfully can afford to go-although we tease my dad about being "frugal"...he is a bargain shopper Nothing wrong with that I know.. goes more places on less $!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -