Would Palm Springs be too HOT in August?

Jul 3rd, 2007, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Would Palm Springs be too HOT in August?

I am tempted by the summer deals in Palm Springs. How hot is it usually in August? Would we be crazy to go then? I figured that we could spend lots of time in the pool, maybe ride the tram and we would save touring around the evenings. Would that be doable/plesaant?

Thank you!!

Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:06 AM

Well, anything can happen, but I've been to PS in August and it can be pretty hot. It is forecasted to reach 115 - 120 degrees for the Independence Day Holiday. When it is that hot, we don't even want to go outside. Evenings can be in the 90's. It was that hot once when we were there in August, however it was also muggy with the monsoonal flow from Mexico. During the day, beautiful clouds build over San Jacinto and it rains buckets in the middle of the night. There is a good reason rates are low in August in PS. I would hold out for September if possible. That's when it's not as bad.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:14 AM

A year ago, September 25 - 100!!!! My husband walked barefoot to the pool, he thought he'd have blisters!

If you get up very early while it's still cool, everything will be still closed. You can stay at the pool, then go back to your room for a loooooooooong mid-day nap, go out in the evening.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! That is what I was afraid of. We will try to go later or maybe plan more in advance and go in June next year.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:18 AM

I agree. August is brutal especially when it is humid and it doesn't cool off at night. I've been there when it was over 90 at 6AM and over 120 during the day. If you can do it with short notice and can see that the humidity is low, and it cools off, then maybe. But I agree that waiting is advisable. September is better and October is better yet. In October be careful about staying near a golf course if they are mowing and reseeding, or if you have any one who might be affected by all of the dust in the family.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:19 AM

If you live in Palm Springs, by September you are happy that it is down to 100!
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:47 AM

I was in PS in July once and it was 95 F, at 10am! I made DH take me up in the mountains to Idylwild where it was in the 80's in the afternoon.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:59 AM

Yeah, it's hot!! Another thing I found was that several of the restaurants I frequented on trips in January closed for the summer the day after Memorial Day. That was in La Quinta though.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:37 PM

". . . maybe plan more in advance and go in June next year"

June isn't much better - June is hot, July is HOT, and August is HOT.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:41 PM

Was there for four days the second weekend in June this year and it never broke 100. Until the day after we left. if you see that a weather front is coming thru from the north it's a good bet that in a day or two it will be 95 or less, and not humid, which is pretty bearable until about 3 pm.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 06:45 PM

I totally agree - it isn't always hot in June. The problem is there is no way to know what the weather is likely to be - until just a few days before arriving. Much too late to book decent airfares, etc.
Jul 3rd, 2007, 07:04 PM

we stayed there one August to take advantage of great rates. It was 113 degrees, and just too hot. Even the pool was was lukewarm and kinda gross. I wouldn't do it again.
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone! We will skip PS in August and try for a cooler time.

Search this Thread