"Worth it" questions

Search

"Worth it" questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Worth it" questions

I probably wouldn't take the bandwidth for this on a weekday, but Sundays are usually pretty quiet, so:

what do people expect when they ask questions about whether such and such is "worth it?"

Is marriage worth it? Is parenthood worth it? Is another helping of foie gras worth it?

How can anyone tell whether something will be "worth it" to you?

We never even considered taking our children to Disney World, but they went to London and southern England while in elementary school. Clearly one was worth it for us and the other one wasn't.

If you chose Disney World, I am not criticizing you. On a lot of other forums, many answers include the phrase "YMMV": your mileage may vary. This seems to me to be good for any "worth it" question.

There, that's off my chest, and I will have breakfast!
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:23 AM
J62

"worth it" questions are the type the puzzle me.

I recall one a while ago along the lines "A friend is offering free tickets to a show, is it worth it?"

Huh? Is it worth what? The $0.00 you paid for the tickets?

Same question comes up a lot regarding restaurants. "$100 each for dinner, is it worth it?"

My general philosophy is that I decide what I'm willing to pay, then ask myself afterward did I enjoy myself, would I return, would I recommend to a friend? Same approach applies to the cheap pasta and pizza joint around the corner as it does for a new high end restaurant.

Ditto for hotels & resorts. My needs are simple - clean, comfortable bed. If we don't use any amenities at a resort then I'm less likely to return if everything else was just hotel standard.

Destination are a whole different question. When answering these types of questions I prefer to state "I enjoyed for this reason", or vice versa. Blanket statements like "it's a waste of time" without explanation add little value here on Fodors.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:43 AM

I agree. Impossible to answer for someone else, but many try to anyway.

Along those lines I also like when someone provides a choice between two very different things.

"I want to see a Broadway show. Should we see Wicked or August/Osage County?" HUH? They are total opposites, so how can anyone give advice.

"We want a nice dinner. Should we go to Morton's Steak House or The Fish House"? HUH? Do you want fish or steak?

ETC.

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 05:01 AM

well, i sort of disagree. Although most things are subjective, there is often some objectivity that can be helpful. I have posted "worth it" questions about places-- i.e. if i'm going to spend 1000 a night, is this hotel "worth it." yes, my view of worth it might differ from yours, but by asking that question, I'm asking for some objective criteria from those who have been there. (i.e. Cliffside beach club in nantucket in high season... yes, some might say it's not "worth" the high price tag, but what i'm looking for is and answer something along the lines of "well, the island is generally very expensive to begin with, so keep that in mind, but there really is no other hotel with it's own beach and only 15 minutes from town. So, yes it might be worth it" While someone can't tell me if it's "worth it" per se, they can give information like that which can help me decide if it's worth it to me.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 05:47 AM

Worth what? How are you defining worth? Worth the time? Worth the money? Worth the opportunity cost?

Isn't the real question how does one define "worth it"?

I don't believe there is one answer because circumstances change and priorities change.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 07:52 AM

Understand what others have posted on this thread about "worth it" questions---- it does seems to be one of the primary reasons for the purpose of this board tho.

Yes it may be nearly impossible to know what would be worth it to others but it is useful and entertaining to read what others think is worth it.

Reading that someone has been somewhere and found some value in a location etc does help those of us who read & post here dream of going somehwere or planning an actual trip.

And I think most of the Posters try to be fair & helpful in sharing their experiences or responses.

Did anyone find a worth it answer to a worth it question worth it question "worth it?"

I have...txs Fodors for the Forum.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 08:03 AM

I think it depends on the person asking the question. If that person is normally happy with "top 40" lists (likes most books on the best seller list, "hot" must see movies, music being played regularly on the radio, etc.), then that person will be able to ask "is it worth it?" with fairly good success.

If the person marches to a different drummer, then "is it worth it?" will usually be a futile activity.

It's simply a tool to get a "majority rules" on the subject. If the majority of folks say "it's worth it", then a "top 40" person will likely enjoy it because it is a mainstream popular choice.

If the majority of folks say "not worth it" (or "you only need 1/2 day", etc.), then a "top 40" person will likely not be thrilled with it.

On the other hand, those persons who tend to differ from popular opinion won't find the "is it worth it?" questioning effective.

Even the simple "it's a waste of time" responses will help a "top 40" person out.

Personally, I tend not to ask others questions about where to go, what to see, where to stay, where to eat, etc., because I'm not a "top 40" person and have my own definite wants and desires. I may ask "is there anything in particular you think I should see or do?" and then I'll research the responses to see if they do interest me.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 08:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It depends if they give more information.

If they just say "Is Paris worth it?" that's a dumb question imo.

But if they give more information, like the length of their trip (No Paris is not worth it if you only have 8 hours, for example) then we can make a judgement call on their behalf.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Suze - if you're in London and can spend 8 hours in Paris, why wouldn't it be worth it? Lots of folks go to "the city" (whatever one is nearby) for a day and it's well worth it.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 09:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
OK then, see that proves it(!!) even what I think is obvious is a judgement call. I wouldn't go all the way to Paris from London for a few hours myself.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 09:49 AM

I agree the "woth it" questions are usually impossible to answer.

You don't usually know the poster's likes or dislikes, very well, or budget or exact time constraints.

Agree that there are some things that I think you can evaluate - but it's still based on your values.

For instance - if someone says is Madame Tussausd's worth it - my answer is always no - either in terms of money or time. But - I know a lot of people (and not all of them kids) do seem to enjoy it. So - you can ask - but need to know who is answering.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 09:50 AM

I think a lot of that also has to do with if you've been there before.

If you've been to NYC 4 or 5 times already, many of the activities that are "must see" have become "it's not worth it". However, when you've never been there before, they really are "must see".

For example, if I've never been to NYC, the Statue of Liberty is something that I "must see". If I go home and everyone starts asking "what was the Statue of Liberty like?" and I say "I don't know I didn't see it", I'm most likely going to regret the decision not to see it.

However, once I've seen it, I probably don't need to see it during every future visit. It may become "a waste of time" because it's no longer an important part of MY memories of NYC. I have found other sights that mean more to me personally.

The point is that if you go once and don't see that little unknown cafe that's perfection, you won't know what you missed, but if you don't see the Statue of Liberty, you will have constant reminders that you failed to see a major attraction in NYC.

So, "is it worth it?" is very dependent upon if you've been there, seen it, stayed there, ate there, etc.

As this forum is made up of folks who tend to travel a lot, their opinion is often based on having been to a place several times and getting past the "must sees" and moving into the "what else is there to see and do". Those responses will often say things like "rather than doing a Broadway show, you should go to an Off Off Broadway show" - they tend to forget that for most folks, going to NYC for the first time means seeing a Broadway show. It's a part of that initial experience.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 01:47 PM

I think it's important not to read too much into "worth it" questions. Most people asking are just trying to balance effort and expense against potential pleasure. I agree that the definition of "pleasure" can vary wildly from person to person, but one can describe one's own experience and leave it there. "Is it worth it?" can also mean "should I do this?" I don't know if you should, but I can advise you, or I wouldn't be posting here.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Thoughtful answers, for which I thank you.

If a "worth it" question is an attempt to rank possibilities, it clearly makes a lot of sense.

If it is an absolute question ("should I or shouldn't I") all we can tell the poster is our own experience -- or feelings, in which case YMMV.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 02:58 AM

Sorry, but even if you "rank possibilities" that is going to come from a lot of subjective judgement IMO.

Sometimes I think all people want is an "answer" and there has been more than one instance in which we see the "OH, I trust you (fill in the name of the responder) completely which I am sure makes some of the rest of the people who took the time ask why they bothered.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 07:33 AM

Dukey, I understand what you're saying, but that's to be expected of a board that has regular responders. If I stayed in a Paris apartment because one poster here recommended it as having wonderful atmosphere, and if two of my favorite restaurants were first tried because of that same poster, then sure I'm likely to put more weight on that person's opinion that someone else's.

And often it has to do with listening to what's being asked. I can't believe the number of times when people are asking about very upscale and expensive hotels and asking for opinions of which to stay in, and someone will come back with a total budget choice that meets none of the criteria and say "how much time are you going to spend in the room anyway?" There's a lot of reading between the lines to do both in the "worth it" questions and in the responses to them.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 08:47 AM

I read all of the posts of this subject. IT WASN'T WORTH IT! In this case "worth it" being my 4 minutes of reading.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 11:50 AM

So... was it "worth it" to start this thread?