Search

Work and Travel in Colorado state

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work and Travel in Colorado state

hi guys,

I am planning to join Work and Travel Program next summer in Colorado. My company suggested me working in a safeway as a cashier but i have some fear about this state. I am wondering places which can i stay. İf i rent a house there what can its cost be?
I didn't find places for students like student house , dormitory..
Lastly, there is any person who has information about this state's life condition?

thank you very much from now
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 04:28 AM

Its a BIG state. What city? And FWIW, Colorado is a pretty safe state.
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 04:54 AM

I very tempted to think this is not a legitimate question without a lot of clarification. Work/Travel program ????? Clerk at Safeway? That are not a lot of Safeways in Colorado. King Soopers would be a better choice. Some fear about this state??? That needs a big explanation. Why would one person rent a house? State's life condition????? What do you mean by that.
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 08:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I very tempted to think this is not a legitimate question . . .
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 09:18 AM

The OP appears to be foreign and the fear sounds related to cost of living, that is obvious. Why wouldn't this be a legitimate question, some people have language difficulties.

It could be those foreign programs where young people go work in resorts, they have a lot of those at various ski resorts in the country (and summer beaches, etc.). SO maybe this country's program is suggesting the OP go work in some of those service industries related to the ski industry. Who knows, if it is a legitimate program it should provide more connections and placement. They have tons of foreign "student" workers at Maryland beach resorts, for example, and I've seen lots of them at ski resorts (in COlorado, I think, or maybe at Lake Tahoe). But if that were the goal, they wouldn't be suggesting working at Safeway. I don't think grocery stores need those kind of seasonal workers.
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 10:32 AM

Almost all workers at ski resorts in Mt. are foreign
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 10:36 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Same in the CO Rockies.
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Fear means that if my employer don't provide a place where can i stay. I saw something on the internet about Colorado. According to them, it is more expensive than others but others offers is not good for me. I don't want to be dishwasher or housekeeper. I want to communicate another people around the clock.

I don't know which one of safeway but it is not going to be in Denver. As you say before, there is a lot

thank you very much @Christian and others.. however, I still need a suggestion.. There is a place which can stay there as a student? you know low wages mean low prices.

I have meeting tomorrow with my employer and i hope i am going to be learnt more details.

Also, I am writing these from Turkey
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 04:52 PM

Have never heard of a supermarket providing housing for employees - that is usually only resorts that do this.

Working at a supermarket there is no way you could afford to rent a house - much more likely share a small apt with others.

You don;t say where you will be based - but I would look at the websites of nearby universities to see if there is some sort of student housing exchange that might offer rooms or small apartments to share with students.

In any case - you need to get a lot more info on the finances of this (such as what you will actually be paid) to know what you can afford - and likely it won;t be much!
Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 04:59 PM

And what kind of visa are you gettingvthatcwill allow you to "work and travel" in US?

The "employer" may be fake. This whole thing sounds like a way for someone to make $$$ of an naive forreigner, if this is even a legit post.

There's a Safeway in Cortez in southwest Colorado. It is safe small town and much less expensive there to live. It is also very cold.
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 09:24 AM

We shop at the Safeway in Fraser, Colorado, and it has these types of employees.

I have noticed they wear badges with their country-of-origin on them, and have chatted with many of them. They have seemed happy with their Work & Travel deal, and somehow, they manage to afford housing.

Fraser is a small town, between Winter Park and Granby, Colorado. There is lots to do year-round. You wouldn't necessarily need a car, because the shuttle runs regularly within the Park. Amtrak stops in Fraser, so you could actually travel to other places, like Glenwood Springs.

You might also check into the Grand Lake Lodge, CO, where they have workers from around the world, also. They provide housing, I think.
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much guys,
My city were determined by emplyor. i am going to work at safeway in fraser.. additionally, my company will help me to find a palace..however, probably,price of its palace will be high.. because of that, i still need a palace..
i am waiting your suggestion
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 10:26 AM

I'm assuming you mean "place", not "palace". haha

Good thing your company will help you find lodging. Ask others who are working there now with your program.

Good luck. I think you will like Fraser, even though it has earned a nickname for being an "icebox", it really isn't that often that cold.
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 10:31 AM

Town has 622 residential units and population of around 1200 people. May be hard to find a place. To someone coming from Turkey, this is going to be cold.
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

@tabernash2 , ohh so sorry for that, Place is refers to palace which people live

Lastly, Thanks you very much again for your suggestions and information. Maybe see you there
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 10:56 AM

I assume the OP knows Colorado gets cold. But he will be probably be there in summer, too. Which is glorious.

Lodging might be challenging. But Fraser is far enough way from Winter Park ski area, that it is less expensive.

It must be do-able, because it seems to be a longstanding program at that Safeway.
Old Feb 6th, 2015, 10:58 AM

Yes, Hknkrhnn, if you go to Fraser, I could very well see you there. Wear an orange Fodor's badge!