Search

WINTER PARK SKI TRAIN ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WINTER PARK SKI TRAIN ISSUE

Hey all:

i am taking the ski train to winter park next wk on friday. I have a big problem though......

The beginner's group lessons are ONLY available at 9:30 am or 12:30 pm. BUT the ski train arrives at 9:30 so basically i will not be able to make it to the 9:30 lesson. If i do the 12:30 then by the time the lesson is over at 2:30-3pm then i will only have an hour or less of skiing because the train leaves at 4 pm.

I was thinking of doing the full day rental with the 12:30 lesson, but we are beginner's (never put skis on before ) so i don't know if we'll be able to ski without taking the lesson first.

I don't know what to do.....clueless...please help. thank you in advance for your help.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 09:21 AM

Any reason you can't drive?

It's about 1.5 hour drive.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 11:13 AM

spring for a private lesson? stay overnight at WP and enjoy the next day after the p.m. learner class?
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 12:17 PM

First, i think a private lesson for a beginner, beginner is overkill. Second, call the ski school and see if the lesson really begins at 9:30 or is that just the starting point and lesson begins closer to 10. Big question -- will you have your ski gear with you when you get off the train or are you renting at the base. If renting at the base, you cannot make the lesson. If you have never had skis on, you will need the lesson or very good friend.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 12:25 PM

You will not be able to ski without a lesson of some kind. I think that, given your time restrictions, a private lesson could move you along pretty quickly (but you'll have to pay for it!). Otherwise, you've wasted a morning and spent the p.m. learning, and then won't be able to reinforce the lesson with practice. IMO, options are:
1. Be late (or almost) for the a.m. group lesson.
2. Schedule a private lesson.
3. Take the p.m. lesson (get the gear at your leisure), stay overnight, and ski the next day.
Might want to take your rental gear on the train, so it's ready to go, if you are going to dash for the a.m. group.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 07:21 AM

spongiebob, I don't want to be too discouraging but my experience is that you will need about three consecutive days if you want to learn to ski at a very min level. A day and half of lesson, half day practice, another half day lesson and another half day practice, The first day lesson barely gets you past putting the skis on and off, how to walk, falling down, how to get up, how to stop and maybe on and off the chair lift. If you are a quick learn and good physical shape you might get by with one full day of lesson and be able to do an adequate snowplow to get down the slope. The new equipment and short skis are a great aid compared to the old days. Be sure the rental understands you are a new beginner so that you get a short ski that is just barely adequate for your weight.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Mambo_

Are you using the beginners' package from Winter Park? They offer a good package deal for equipment, lift ticket and lesson. Otherwise, you can get discount lift tickets on the train, for $65 each, I think.

I'll bet the ski school is used to getting this question from people on the ski train, so maybe they can accommodate your arrival time. I would ask them what they suggest.

The Ski Train is a cool way to go. Because driving Berthoud Pass can be challenging, especially if you're not used to moutain driving. It would take you more than 1.5 hours each way, for sure, especially if the weather is bad. We've owned a place in Winter Park since the late 70s, and my husband takes the ski train often-- even today!
>-