Skiing in Gstaad (Beginner).

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skiing in Gstaad (Beginner).

I know that they have fabulous skiing in the area. But is it reasonable for a beginner? I tried looking up price information, but was totally confused as most of it was in German (and I don't understand German).

I have never been skiing before, and just want to know if it's worth trying. Is it worth the expense of taking private lessons, equipment rentals, and lift tickets, etc.

Could some one more informed help me out? Thanks!
Susie
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Many acquaintances of mine ski in Gstaad. It does offer fabulous skiing, and also some luxury properties.

However, I couldn't stand to ski as a beginner as an adult. I think if it's something you've done as a child then you'll continue as an adult. But of course perhaps there are adult only ski classes - I have visions of an adult trailing a snake of five year olds who are better skiiers than they are. I am most probably wrong on this one and they do have instructors just for adults.

Of course you might want private tuition. Is it something you really want to do? Then if it is, you must do it, otherwise I would rather go somewhere warm whilst they're freezing.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 03:34 AM

Hi Again SusieChef,

Well, it took me some time, but I *knew* some information was out there --

Here's a link to a ski school with information in English:

http://www.gstaadsnowsports.ch/e/ang...rif_gruppe.htm

Note that this is not THE "Swiss Ski School," but I would bet that the group rates are competetive. By the way, I do think the group class would be fine; you don't need to go for a private class.

I was over 30 yo when I first learned to ski in Germany, and the class was full of adults like me. I always take lessons when I ski in Europe just because the area is so large (and, yes, of course I still need them!). I've found that taking lessons is a great way to get to know the slopes and also to meet a few folks.

I've taken lessons with German folks (instructor always gave me good English insturctions after the German) and with Americans & Brits. It's a good way to get in some social hours if you need to -- or just to learn to ski!

There will be plenty of adults out for a lark and trying their "hand" at skiing. Not to worry. Go for it!

s
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the vote of confidence Swandav! I know I'll probably look like a nut... but when else can I say that I've skiied (or at least tried to ski) in the Alps!

The information in english was a big help. The site I found I think had info on lift tickets and stuff... but I couldn't understand it. I'll try to get my brother to explain it to me... if I can ever get a hold of him.

Looks like fun though... thanks again.

Susie
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 08:13 PM
ljc

Our family has just returned from Chateau D'oex which is a village close to Gstaad (linked by train)and part of the Gstaad superski region. You can buy a day ticket for Chateau D'Oex for CH$34, and ski and boot hire is around CH$45 a day but less is you hire for a longer period.

The village of Chateau D'oex is absolutely stunning - lots of chalets, heaps of snow and you are completely surrounded by the most spectacular views. It is much smaller and unassuming than Gstaad (and cheaper) but just as beautiful. Doesn't have the ritzy shops but has a great supermarket half underground so as not to impact on the traditional feel of the village. The runs there are less varied and not as many as the Gstaad/Rougemont area but are perfect for the beginner/intermediate.

Chateau D'oex promotes itself as a family ski area - the people are extremely friendly and many speak English. My teenage daughter had a solo skiboarding lesson (cost around CH$60) - it was her second time snowboading - and we were told that all the instructors at the ski school spoke English. Her lesson was on a very gentle slope at the bottom of the mountain. After her lesson she went with us on the cable car to the top of La Braye and was able to practice on the wide and long runs there. And there are no crowds to worry about. We went in January - and the only people we saw skiing were school groups and a few locals. We practically had the mountain to ourself!

Gstaad is in the German speaking part of Switzerland but Chateau D'Oex is in the French speaking part. The best thing about Chateau D'oex is that it is on the train line and you can easily be in Rougemont or Gstaad in about 10 mins for the big ski experience (just pick up a timetable at the station). Ski passes for that region are CH$57.

As for your question about whether or not it's worth the expense of lift tickets, lessons and equipment rentals - yes - you'll love it. It's worth every cent. I couldn't imagine a more beautiful place to learn to ski.

Here's the link to Chateau D'Oex
http://www.chateau-doex.ch/english/index.htm

Hope that helps.