Trip to Vienna

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Vienna

We would like to go to Vienna but we aren't sure what areas are good to stay in, what are the best things to do if you have 6-7 days and what advice do you have if traveling with a 2 year old? What are some good day trips?
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Is there any particular reason for Vienna? I ask only because you are asking what to do there. Some people may like Vienna, but I didn't particularly love it (it's very pleasant, yes, but it didn't blow me away or make me wish to visit again). If you have 6-7 days, I would probably take half of it in Prague, personally - it's an easy train trip each way. Prague was as amazing and beautiful as I'd been led to believe. Vienna was just OK.

Budapest is even closer by train than Prague but is a little less welcoming yet still more exotic than Vienna.

Still, here are some of the basic highlights of Vienna: Schönbrunn Palace, St. Stephen's Cathedral (you can climb to the top but maybe not with a 2-year-old), tours of various old buildings, etc. The Lipizzaner museum is supposedly worth a visit but I was there the wrong day of the week to go.

Pick up a Rick Steves book and look at the highlights.

Andrew
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:22 PM

There are some gorgeous baroque churches in Vienna, among them my favorite--the Karlskirche. Wonderful interior! I also enjoyed the Belvedere, with its paintings by Klimpt, the Hundertwasser house, the Spanish Riding School, and the Schatzkammer (Imperial Treasury) and Kunsthistorisches Museum.

Most of these are adult venues, of course. There are also various parks and museums for children, though 2 years old is pretty young for some of them.
I found Vienna to be a very walkable city, and I imagine it would be a pleasant walk with your child in a stroller.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:51 PM

The nicest area to stay in Vienna is in the vicinity of the large pedestrian mall. I can't remember the name of the street but it's easy to locate on a map and is right in the city center. Most attractions are within walking distance.
The Hofburg complex is another must see, in addition to all those previously mentioned. You could easily spend a full day there. Visit the Staatsopera and Musikverein. The theaters are magnificent.
I spent six days in Vienna and felt that it was not enough time to see everything. It's a wonderful city.
Everyone has a different opinion about particular places. I liked Prague and enjoyed Budapest, but I loved Vienna.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:59 PM

Take your 2 year old to the Prater amusement area with a large observation wheel and other rides. We stayed at the Sacher Apartments (the Stephansdom is right outside). The apt had a large bedroom, bathroom, small kitchen and large living/dining area with plenty of room for 2 twin beds for our children who were 10 and 13 years old at the time. The management is only there at certain times of the day though, you might consider that a disadvantage (it would be in case of an emergency or other problem). Location is wonderful, its spacious and fairly inexpensive. Overall, though, Vienna is more of an adult city with its museums and music...
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 08:31 PM

Vienna is a beautiful city full of great architecture, museums, restaurants, and music.

Fodors has some great information thru their Destinations link:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ion=vienna@165

The following website might give you some ideas of what to do that your 2 yr old will enjoy:

http://www.wien.info/article.asp?IDArticle=10597

A good day trip would be Durnstein in the Wachau Valley and Melk Abbey.

http://www.duernstein.at/

You will want to stay in the 1st District near St. Stephens which will put you right in the center of the old town and close to transportation.