Winston-Salem-ever been???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to go to North Carolina School of the Arts in Winston-Salem - are there any decent restuarants close to the school??
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 01:54 PM

You are in luck. There are several excellent restaurants in Winston-Salem. Noble's (French influence) at 380 Knollwood Drive is about a ten minute ride from the School of the Arts. Bernardin's (French/Italian influence) on Jonestown Road is about a fifteen minute ride. Opie's (Southern) is a five minute ride.
For a casual lunch nearby try Mary's Of Course, eclectic menu.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Any chain restuarants like Fridays, Applebees, etc
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:43 PM

I used to stay there twice a year for furniture market, but haven't in a few years. There are some very good restaurants there.
You asked about decent, then ask about Fridays? Is that what you're looking for? Actually there were a couple of really reasonable places we were crazy about. What's that Lucky place?
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

now we will have kids with us so there goes really nice eats - will settle for a chain type place
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 05:13 PM

ballet1288, I happen to live in WS and with all due respect to cmcfong, those are not the restaurants I would recommend for students on limited budgets or families who have a wide variety of food likes/dislikes.

And yes, we have all the same chain restaurants you could ever want, but there are several which are NOT chains, but which adults/young folks would enjoy. The chains are generally grouped together near Hanes Mall, about 10 minutes from the School of the Arts, boasting Applebee's, Chili's, Outback Steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse (yuck - I wouldn't recommend), Olive Garden, etc.

Not quite a mile from the School of the Arts Campus is a restaurant called "Marshall Street Smokehouse." It is a wine bar, but the restaurant section has a great menu of your basic ribs, burgers, etc. Handcut and homemade fries. There are specials for the more mature taste, but the kids would enjoy it as well. Casual atmosphere and a truly relaxing place.

You didn't say whether you are only visiting or if you/your child will be attending school at NCSA. There has recently been a roundabout installed near the main entrance to the campus and there are plans to move with an extraordinary complex in and around the school called the Gateway, with a mix of residential and business uses to attract students -- coffeehouses, bookstores, upscale bistros. The plans are very exciting and everyone expects construction to begin in the late spring. All of this would be within easy walking distance of campus.

Also within just a couple of miles are West End Cafe, a neighborhood bistro and very family friendly, and the Filling Station with indoor dining with a wonderful blazing fire and outside dining which is heated. Cobblestone courtyard and excellent food -- anything from salads to brie-stuffed chicken breasts. Yum! A personal favorite.

Patrick is thinking about Lucky 32 on Stratford Road, again about 10 minutes from NCSA. A special place and upscale as well, but kid friendly. The menu changes monthly.

If you have any specific questions, just ask and I'll be glad to help all I can.

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 06:43 PM

Sorry, I didn't get the picture that you were interested in child friendly restaurants or budget ones from the original posting. I think Lucky 32's is a good choice for relatively moderate cost and a bit more innovative than the typical chain. I love West End Cafe, too.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 02:57 AM

Bell Brothers Cafeteria. Word.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!!!! Now I am hungry!!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 05:25 AM

Okay, bell brothers was a little tongue in cheek as its on the rougher side of town (although they have great food). But, if you've never eaten at a K&W cafeteria, go there for breakfast and/or dinner. One of the best cafeterias going and great for a quick cheap eat.

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 05:42 AM

I graduated from Wake Forest--K&W cafeteria is great for a student budget--although you will have to drive up the road from NCSA. Also--TJ's Deli at Thoroughgood was fabulous--the CHAM is great--if that is still there. Village Tavern in Reynolda Village makes a nice outing.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 06:51 AM

The CHAM is my husband's favorite and it is still on the menu. There are two Village Taverns, one at Hanes Mall and one in Reynolda Village. Also an excellent choice. K&W makes the best custard pie I ever ate.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:43 AM

We lived in W/S for nearly 15 years but moved away 4 years ago. In the Hanes Mall area that Loisde mentioned, there was (and still is, I hope), a pretty good italian restaurant called Macaroni Grill--they had paper table *cloths* and supplied crayons for kids (and adults) to draw with; food was very good for a chain.

And a little off topic, but someone please tell me that the wonderful South by Southwest (near Old Salem) is still operating!
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:53 AM

South by Southwest is still operating and still great. The only reservation I have about recommending them is the wait is quite long.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:54 AM

Near Old Salem is the ?Brothers' Tavern? In the style of Old Salem, old building with tables on two levels.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 02:53 PM

ncgrrl, IIRC, you are thinking of Salem Tavern (actually in Old Salem).

cmcfong, thanks for the great news about South x Southwest (I always thought those long waits were a good excuse to sample their awesome margaritas!)