Good eats near Latin Quarter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (Family of 4, two boys 7 & 9) will be staying at an apt in Latin Quarter (address: 7 rue Broca. By looking at the map, can't tell which Metro station is closest. If you happen to know that, please share the info). We would love to get some recommendations for reasonably priced good places (around €100/dinner) to eat around where we stay. All French food, please, not other ethnic groups.

Thank for the help.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 10:54 PM
tod

Your closest metro is Censier Daubenton.
You are staying in an area simply loaded with restaurants so don't worry too much at this stage. When you take a wander around the neighborhood you will be spoilt for choice.
Just looking at No.5 on the corner seems to be a super patiserrie which will be so handy for crispy hot bread and croissants for breakfast!
At No.25 is a restaurant called Le Broca and looks very nice.

Of course you are very near Rue Feuillantines and the lovely Bistro Le Vin Sobre at number 25. This is French food done beautifully. They have a two course lunch & dinner for a set price around 25E which is the way to go.

Other than that you can read my trip report on the week we spent in Paris this past May - click on my name in the search box and you will find it.(Our Springtime stroll through Paris).

Have a wonderful time!
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 12:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Even though you want French food, with the kids you might want to make at least one visit to Pizza Pino at Saint Michel. Italian food is pretty much considered to be French food by the French anyway -- they eat twice as much pizza as the Italians (but a little less than Americans, of course, the world pizza champions).
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 02:49 AM
ira

Hi TG,

Even the French get tired of eating only French food, that is why there are so many good restaurants from other countries.

Give them a try.

I'm sure that the boys will love the pizza.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 02:56 AM

There are a couple of fondue restaurants which would probably be popular with the children - and affordeable. Please note that the Latin Quarter gets very very busy at night, and you can have a long wait for a table if you are visiting any of the eateries in the main touristy bit, rather than going off the beaten track.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 12:02 PM

We enjoyed Perraudin, 157 rue St Jacques, near the Sorbornne.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 12:25 PM

Not sure of the exact locale of your address, but the Odeon station may be the closest Metro.

With boys 7 and 9, I'd suggest Les Patios in the Place de la Sorbonne, near the Latin Quarter. Outdoor seating, decent food, not too expensive, good service. And students perform in the square for tips.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM

We enjoyed (several times) Le jardin d'ivy 75 Rue Moffetard
http://www.lejardindivy.com/index.htm
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Some people are thinking this is in St Germain or near the Seine, and it isn't. It's almost exactly the same distance to Censier metro and Les Gobelins metro stops. There is a good bus (no 91) that runs along bd de Port Royal, and another one that runs right along Clauder Bernard. Is that 100 euro per person or what? Becuase for 4 people, it's a big difference.

That's only a few blocks from rue Mouffetard, the boys will like that and there are lots of cheaper restaurant along there. Some are not so good, but some aren't too bad. Look on Mouffetard and the side streets off it (like rue Pot de Fer, especially).

There are also restaurants on bd Port Royal and then to the east on bd St Marcel. Well, there are plenty all over. The VOlcan at rue Thouin and Mouffetard, and Au Piano Muet on rue Mouffetard for a couple. There is a decent Italian resto right at the corner of Monge and maybe rue Censier (on the east side of the street) and it is pretty cheap.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 02:03 PM
blh

Another vote for Perraudin - we have eaten there several times and always enjoyed it. Also, Les Fetes Galantes, 17 rue de l'Ecole Polytechnique. We had a good and inexpensive meal there. I believe it is only open in the evening, and is a very small place.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 02:06 PM

L'Ourcine, 92 rue Broca (01 47 07 13 65).

Make reservations. This is a very good very popular bistro and could come in around your budget although prices may have gone up since my last visit. Lunch will be less expensive.

l'Auberge Etchegorry
41, rue Croulebarbe, 13th arr. , 01 44 08 83 51
Closed: Sunday and Monday

Very good Basque food in a charming setting.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 02:16 PM

I admire your plan to try to do all French food, but if the boys really want an American breakfast there is always "Breakfast in America" on Rue Ecoles. They also supposedly serve good hamburgers there for lunch.
Old Jul 29th, 2008, 03:45 PM

I'll 2d "Breakfast in America" for the same reasons as Neo.