Williamsburg, VA -- Food and Off-the-beaten Path

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Williamsburg, VA April 4 – 7, 2009 and are looking for insider tips on where to eat and sights not to miss. We are traveling with two children, 8 and 12, but we all enjoy delicious food (especially at non-chain restaurants) and discovering hidden gems off the beaten path. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM

The Fat Canary and the Blue Talon Bistro were fab, along with the Cheese Shop for sandwiches. None are off the beaten path, though.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM

We always enjoy a place called Second Street. They seem to have refined the atmosphere and menu a bit between our last two visits, but we still liked it. Also, although we haven't eaten there recently, we used to enjoy an Italian place called Sal's, and I still see a lot of positive comments about it. Finally, though this is neither an insider tip nor off the beaten path, dining at one of the Colonial Taverns is a neat experience at least once.

Since Thomas6 referenced the Cheese Shop, I have to vent about this place that I literally love to hate. I'm actually disappointed when we don't make our regular stop there, and I don't get the opportunity to annoy my wife by complaining about it. I should mention that Thomas6's perspective is probably the more common one (and is similar to the rest of my family's). I'm the one in the minority (and even I have to admit that the sandwiches are not bad). Their ordering process always reminds me a bit of the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld, and it is as if the place is designed to be swamped even with the most meager "crowd". I always ask for lettuce, tomato, and mayo on my sandwich, because I'm amused when they tell me each time that they don't have those, but they do have sprouts, sun-dried tomato paste, and some sort of salad dressing (or something like that). My favorite complaint though, is the time when we tried to order a grilled cheese sandwich with American cheese for my daughter, and they were out of American Cheese ..... at the Cheese Shop. Sorry for venting, but my family will probably appreciate that they're no longer the only victims.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 04:25 AM

In Williamsburg an excellent restaurant is The Trellis:
http://www.thetrellis.com/
The Colonial Williamsburg restaurants in the restored section are very good. I assume you are driving and if you have a car be sure to take the Colonial Parkway to see Yorktown Battlefield and Jamestown. Within 20 miles in Newport News is the Mariner's Museum, one of the world's great nautical museums with exhibits and a park that will delight the kids (and adults). I grew up there and my son still lives there with his family. If you have specific interests (Civil War, Revolutionary War, military history, Amusement/Water Parks, etc. just let me know.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 06:17 AM

I never drive past Williamsburg without making sure I am hungry and ready to eat at the best BBQ place I have ever found- Pierce's BBQ. http://www.pierces.com/

There's frequently a fast line, but it is worth it. You'll find locals there just as often as tourists. If the weather is nice you can eat outside. If it isn't, eat inside. Its some of the best BBQ you will ever find!
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for these great suggestions -- including the rant!

kelticshaman - Revolutionary War and Civil War are an interest, especially cultural aspects related to the same, as are Amusements and reasonably priced golf courses.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM

For teh Civil War there are numerous road-side historical markers. Start with the informations here: http://www.civilwartraveler.com/EAST...peninsula.html

Also visit the Casemate Museum at Fort Monroe in Hampton (30 miles from Williamsburg) and the previously metioned Mariner's Museum with its exhibit of the ironclad Monitor. There is a Condfederate fort and earthworks behind the patcick henry Inn in Williamsburg and in Newport News park are impressive Confederate works remaining from the battle for Dam #1.

For the Revolutionary War there is a small battlefield outside of Williamsburg but nothing remains but a quiet pine forest (http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=2440). Yorktown is where the action is. Be sure to travel there via the Colonial Parkway. Several plantation homes remain along the James River and can be visited by traveling west along Rt. 5. Some have relationship to Revolutionary War events.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 06:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I second the recommendations for Second St, Sal's by Victor on Richmond Rd, and Pierces. The Fat Canary and Blue Talon are on the "nicer" end of the spectrum for restaurants with Fat Canary a step above BT. If I wanted a good adult type meal but had kids with me, I would go out to Cities Grill on Rt5. They have a great kids' menu and an open kitchen which, I find, always gives kids something to watch.

If you are looking for ethnic food, Emerald's (Thai) near Busch Gardens is good and so is Pancho Villa at Rt 5 and 199.

Retros on Prince George St next to Merchants Square has great fries, burgers, hotdogs if you are looking for something really casual and quick.

The Golden Horseshoe dining room at the Colonial Williamsburg golf course is great for lunch on a nice day. Ask the waitresses for bread so the kids can feed the ducks. They keep bags of it for duck feeding.

Another great lunch place for kids that I haven't been to in years is the restaurant at the Williamsburg airport. They have always had great sandwiches and soup and its fun to watch the planes take off and land. Call for directions and to make sure they are still open (757) 229-9256

What golf courses are you looking at? They should all be in great shape that week. Call around for specials. The Golden Horseshoe and Kingsmill are our top-rated courses but don't assume they will be out of your price range.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 02:36 PM

If you're in the mood for a quick but delicious bite, you should stop at Pierce's Pitt BBQ. It's right down the street from the Great Wolf Lodge.