NYC at Christmas -

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC at Christmas -

I want to take my grandson to NYC for Christams. Many years ago, I took my son for a one day excursion. We flew up early, toured the city, ate, shopped and flew home late that same night. Does onyone know of a company that offers such a tour from Charlotte, NC? If not, can anyone advise me on reasonable accomodations for 2-3 nights in December? I'm checking VRBO and Craig's list. Thanks, Judy
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Christmas season is usually the most expensive time in NYC - except for the last few days leading up to the holiday. Then, rates are more moderate - but never low. There may be some deals on travelzoo, kayak etc - but you won;t know that until about 3 months in advance.

Separately, the tine right before the holiday is one of the most crowded/expensive for air travel - since so many college students - and others - are all headed home at one time.

So while this is a great time of year to be i n the city , it's one of the most expensive ones.

Know nothing about tours from Charlotte - you might check with a local travel agent.

As for reasonable accommodations - what do you consider to be reasonable - and what would you be expecting (do you want luxury, moderate - or are you willing to look at small hotel/B&B options with a shared bath?)
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Also, be aware that most NY City short-term apartment rentals are not legal (at worst they violate the law, and at best, they violate the building's restrictions on subletting), and that most New Yorkers on this board caution that Craigslist in particular is a very bad idea for Manhattan due to the high number of scams (apartment buildings that don't even exist, for example).

Can you go right after Christmas Day -- I seem to recall that the week right after Christmas, until it gets closer to New Year's Eve, is slightly less expensive.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM

You might want to look at Murray Hill East Suites. Check out the Trip Advisor reviews. They're uneven, but prices are reasonable and the kitchens (hard to come by in NYC rentals) would save $. The location is wonderful, you could walk to Grand Central, the theater district, Times Square, Rockefeller Center.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Avoid vrbo and Craigslist. They're a really bad idea for NYC. radiocityapartments.com offers apartment type accomodation in a hotel that's centrally located. If you can go some time after Dec. 18, prices are usually better than earlier in Dec. onboardtours.com is a good tour co. in NYC that gives a good overview tour.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM

I would also avoid staying in Midtown during Christmas unless you like being in the middle of the action. Rock Center, Fifth Ave, and Times Square are tourist epicenter and the streets are insanely crowded most hours of the day and night. Some people love that stuff, however.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 11:11 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I love NYC when it's decorated for Christmas. I've found that going the week AFTER Christmas is a much better buy. Hotel rates are usually lower. Tickets for the Radio City Hall Christmas Spectacular are MUCH lower the week after Christmas. I've flown up on Christmas Day and the flights were far less hectic. Since you are taking your grandson, he probably needs to be home on Christmas Day but consider a couple of nights the week between Christmas and New Years. Lots of hotel options but one of the Hampton Inns would work nicely. www.hamptoninn.com. Good rooms and nice free breakfast.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 04:23 AM

We've also had great luck with more reasonable hotel rates between Christmas Eve and the day before New Year's Eve. Used to be until New Year's Eve, but many hotels have expanded their dates for premium rates.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
You can check a great range of hotels for price and availability in New York on www.quikbook.com.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for such great advice. I was in NYC the week-end before Christmas a few years ago and I know how hectic and expensive it is. That's why I thought a one day excursion might be resaonable and fun for my grandson. I had not considered a trip after Christmas! Great idea. Might consider that instead. Judy