New York over Christmas/NY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to plan a trip to New York (from Australia) over the Christmas/New Year period.

There will be my husband, myself and our daughter (nearly 6 by then). We're looking at approximately 12 nights.

My current thinking is to stay in a central hotel for 4-5 nights, then move to an apartment (VBRO type of thing) or larger but cheaper hotel room with cooking facilities in a slightly quieter area for the last 7-8 nights so we have a bit more room, cook our own meals etc.

I have so many questions, but let's start with the basics:

1. Hotel suggestions? Must be clean, classy, good value. Nothing shabby. Have looked at the Marriotts, Staybridge, New Yorker...but open to suggestions.

2. Apartment locations? Safe, close to places we might want to go, restaurants, shops. We'd like to experience the not so touristy side of NY, but still be convenient to theatres etc. Bars and nightlife obviously not a priority!

3. Christmas Day! What can we do? Here in Brisbane all the larger hotels have a Christmas Lunch buffet type thing, with Santa, gifts etc. Given we won't have any family, we'd like to do something special with our daughter.

4. Suggestions of other things we can do, in the middle of winter, at Christmas time would be great. Particularly Christmasy or cultural type things.

5. What's the best way to get Theatre tickets?

Thank you!
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 03:59 AM

Apartment rentals in NYC for less than 30 days are illegal. There are hotels that are apartment style, like this one:
http://www.radiocityapartments.com/l...modations.aspx

or this one:
http://www.affinia.com/

that could accommodate your needs.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:00 AM

In NYC, the Christmas Day tradition (among non-Christians in particular) is to have a sumptuous upscale Chinese meal. There was a time when little else was open. Now, I'm sure you'll be able to find other options in the major hotels if you don't want Chinese food, but Shun Lee is one of the best upscale options in town. I don't know of any places off-hand that do Santa with all the trimmings, though.

There are several hotels that have apartment-style units, but suewoo is correct that VRBO apartment rentals in NYC are illegal, though you will still find some. But I would not recommend taking that chance.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:07 AM

If you want something special for Christmas Day, have lunch or dinner at the Rock Center Cafe with views of the skating rink and Christmas Tree in Rockerfeller Center, not cheap but something you'll remember.

Also don't miss checking out the store windows on 5th Avenue, Lord & Taylor, Saks, Bergdorf Goodman, than swing over to Madison Avenue and check out the windows at Barney's then on to Lexington Avenue and Bloomingdales. You might also want to go inside each store to see the interior decorations. Macy's on 34th street is a bit out of the way but also great to check out.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:19 AM

"You might also want to go inside each store to see the interior decorations"... but not on Christmas Day as all department stores will be closed. Seems obvious to most of us, but maybe not to visitors.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:30 AM

I am not sure why are thinking two different palces in which to stay.

I would not stay in Times Square area or mid-town at all because Christmas week is one of the busiest tourist weeks of the year. The streets around Rockefeller Center literally become impassable. In fact they change the bus stops on Fifth Ave due to the congrestion.

I would try to stay and eat in more residential areas and then take the subway to mid-town to see the tree and the store decorations.

Also put on your list to visit the Met Museum, they put up the most elegant tree each year.

And after Chinese food all these years we have expanded our tradition to Indian, Ethopian, and Korean.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:34 AM

It's not the middle of winter. The first day of winter is December 22
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 05:44 AM

"Best way" to get theater tickets depends on you priorities.

If you have a must-see show, buy the ticket directly from that show's official ticketing service. YOu will find this by visiting the show's official website and purchasing tickets from there.

Before you purchase, check broadwaybox.com to see if the show is offering discounted seats. The most popular shows won't have discounts. Broadwaybox does not sell the tickets, but provides discount codes you use when purchasing from the official ticketing service or from the theater box office. If you are unsure about what you'd like to see, you can bring the Broadway box codes with you and see if you can get some discounted tickets at the box ffice after you're in NYC.

There is also a discount ticket booth, TKTS, in Times Square and a few other locations, that sells same-day discounted tickets. Waiting lines can be long.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 08:14 AM

If you are looking to see a Broadway show, you should book ahead. The Christmas season is a time when families bring their kids in to see shows and it's very difficult to get tickets let alone discounts.

Here is a link that will take you to the list of shows and which ticket outlet handles each show. Some shows are sold through Telecharge and some are sold through Ticketmaster.

http://www.playbill.com/events/listing/1.html
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 09:06 AM

An apartment is not a realistic option (illegal and MANY scams - some just publicized ont he new this am) - but you can go for an apartment hotel.

Not sure why you want to stay in 2 places - moving will be a PIA. And for quieter - you will still want to be in Manhattan - suggest you check out hotels on the upperwest side (mid upscale residential) that is busy but not frantic like Times Square. Tons of great inexpensive/moderate rest of any possible ethnicity. Great subway connections and close to Central Park and many major museums.

You have not mentioned the weather. You may get mild weather - in the 40s and sunny - or you may get a real winter. Last year we had more than 20" of snow. So you need to be sur eyou have ful winter geat (heavy coat, hat, scarf, gloves and boots - preferbly with nonskid soles in case we get ice.

No aware of any place with a Santa Christmas day - but Sea Grill or Rock Center Cafe are near THE tree and you might see skaters. If you do this reserve as far in advance as possible (as in when reservations open).

Sesonal" Radio city Music Hall Spectacular with Rockettes (I don;t reco for adults - but I'm a native). And they always do the Nutcracker at Lincoln Center. There will e many dozens of other events announced closer to the date.

Bring LOTS of $.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
And theater tickets will be more expensive over the holidays..
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 12:16 PM

The only tickets that might be more expensive over the holidays are the high-priced premium ones...and I'm not ever sure if those go up. All other tickets are the same price. Perhaps you mean that there'll be fewer discount offers because the year-end holiday week is the business one of the season for shows.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for some of the more helpful comments.

As far as we're concerned, it will be the "middle of winter", the official start date is just semantics, given we will be coming from a Queensland summer. We're fully prepared and already have our thermals if required.

Shame about the vrbo etc, that's the way we've booked all our european accomodation. Moving wouldn't have been an issue, given the time periods, but I'll further search for a nicer apartment style hotel, or at least a one bedder with kitchenette.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 05:21 AM

Check out the Beacon on the upper west side (but you may have to contact them directly about a suite). Anothr OP just got a fantastic rate on the Eastgate Tower - only $219 a night in June for a large suite. Granted the hotel is kind of worn - but the price is next thing to a miracle.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 05:55 AM

I was the one who got the great rate at the Eastgate Tower - yes, the hotel is worn but good location with lots of restaurants nearby on 3rd Avenue. The 2 bedroom suite was very spacious (perfect for five of us - Grandpa and wife, Son and wife and our 8yo DD) and had a kitchen which we didn't even use other than the refrigerator. Looks like their one bedroom suites are $289 for that time of year and their smaller rooms are $239 - $259.

http://www.affinia.com/New-York-City...Eastgate-Tower
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 09:24 AM

Kathryn, I agree you should be prepared for cold weather, but I'd recommend against thermals - better to wear layers you can easily shed as necessary. When it's cold outside , it can be sweaty-hot indoors since stores etc keep the heat turned way up. You'll be wearing a down coat and gloves outside and wish you had on only a t- shirt once you go indoors.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 10:16 AM

Thermals are a really bad idea in the city. they're OK if you're going to be outside all day- as in skiing or something. But when you're going to be in and out of buildings, on and off subways and buses - you will be dying of the heat - since you can;t keep taking them on and off. Layers under a good warm coat are the way to go (then you can get remove a sweater when you go into a museum of store or whatever). I also don;t reco boots that are heavily lined for the city for the same reason.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Good tip about the thermals - I was in Paris last nov and almost fainted it was so hot inside. Shall save them for days we will be mostly outside.

My have to buy coats over there as there is nowhere here to buy anything warm enough (other than ski gear).

Or any suggestions for online?

I think we're going to change our plans slightly as flights are half the price a month earlier, so now looking at November rather than Christmas, so hopefully not quite as crowded but still some Christmas atmosphere.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 05:12 PM

Kathryn, I'd think long and hard about changing your dates. The store windows are generally unveiled the week before Thanksgiving ( which is the last Thusday in November) and the Xmas tree at Rockefeller Center the week following Thanksgiving. If you want Xmas atmosphere (and it's magical), you should come after Thanksgiving.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM

If you come a month earlier the weather will be completely different. High's more likely around 50 and may be rainy/chilly but snow is not a real option. So - you probably won;t need a winter coat - a mid weight will be OK - with a couple of layers.

Thanksgiving Day is a huge holiday - enormous parade starting the holiday season (everything closed that day) and you have to reserve dinner weeks in advance for a real turkey dinner. The store windows (incredible displays) start a couple of days erlier - but the tree isn;t lit until the first Tues or Wed in Dec.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -