Williamsburg hotel/ inn w/ teens

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Williamsburg hotel/ inn w/ teens

Can anyone suggest an interesting hotel or inn for a family of 4 w/ 2 teens? The Official CW hotels are booked except for Woodlands, and that's not the ambiance my DH hoped for. Looked at a couple of the inns and they are cute but leery of them after previous experiences in another city. (The pics don't match the actual.) Maybe someone could confirm they are truly nice. Also, is it noisy at night if you are staying right in the town? Thinking about Fife & Drum.

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Are you committed to staying right in the heart of CW? If not, my recommendation would be to stay at Kingsmill Resort. It has lots of things for teens to do - pool, spa, racquet ball, tennis, golf. There are little shuttles to take you to Busch Gardens and Water Country. There are packages that include tickets to attractions and meals that are pretty cost effective. We've done it twice and have loved staying there.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 09:51 AM

As mentioned by bennie, there are several very nice "condo" options nearby that have lots to do, especially for a week's stay. Keep in mind that the "Woodlands" are not the low,dark buildings of many years ago. It has several stories and the rooms are motel size but offer a decent, cold breakfast, admission to the historic area,easy access to CW and off-season that are very affordable (currently $79). I would say yhat it approaches Marriott quality.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM

When are you visiting?

I live in Wmbg and have seen the inside of the Fife & Drum on a number of occasions. I think the photo's at their website pretty accurately reflect the decor and condition of the rooms. The rooms are on the smallish side but that goes with age of the building. Friends who've stayed there have liked it a great deal, thought the beds were comfy and the owners quite personable. It's in a fantastic location for visiting Colonial Wmbg and directly across the street from one of my favorite restaurants, The Blue Talon. That part of town rolls of the streets pretty early so I don't think noise would be much of an issue.

I'm more a fan of a hotel with wifi, big tv's working space, and comfy reading chairs and that's not the F&D's strong suit. I'd be more inclined to book Kingsmill, especially for the teenagers. But that's me.

If your taste runs to inns/B&B ambiance, then I think you've got a good choice in the F&D.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 04:23 AM

I agree that Kingsmill Resort might be your best choice with teens. As mentioned, there is lots for them to do and the resort is lovely. We stayed there for a week when my son was a teen and he loved it. Swimming, tennis, bikes, golf, raquetball, etc. Close to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA and a short drive to Colonial WIlliamsburg.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input I've received. We are arriving end of March for college visits, so not a lot of recreational activity necessary except for exploring Colonial Williamsburg, besides W&M. (Only 2.5 days) We would prefer to be w/i walking distance of CW.

Rooms available at Applewood, Alice Person, Cedars, Gov's Trace, Woodlands (generic). Any recommendations?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Your family should consider an historic residence on the Duke of Gloucester Street (or nearby). The cost could be similar to 2 rooms at the Inn or the Lodge.

Call Colonial Williamsburg for information. It's a little-known secret that historic homes are available.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 06:45 AM

rookie, Have you read any of the tripadvisor reviews of the places you mentioned? I find TA fairly reliable. I am acquaintances with the current owners of the Cedars and can testify that it's a lovely house inside and out but I have no experience staying there.

It's worth noting that Governor's Trace is within walking distance of CW but it's located at the Capitol end of Duke of Gloucester St (opposite end from W&M). DOG St is only about mile long so everything is easily walkable but the other places are in closer proximity to the nicer restaurants in the restored area & Merchant Square.

The Historic Homes would be an excellent choice but I assumed from the opening post that they were all booked. The HHs are not exactly a secret, they're all listed on CWs website.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the very helpful comments! We are going to choose between Alice Person and Applewood since they have the best suites for our family. Cedars is very nice but rather expensive comparatively.

Looking forward to a lovely visit!