Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Willard Intercontinental or Mayflower Hotel in Washington D.C.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My adult son and I are going to D.C. for four nights at the end of October. I am trying to decide between the Willard or the Mayflower. It has been almost 50 years since I've been to Washington, D.C. and this will be my son's first visit. We want to do all the usual stuff -- museums, monuments, war memorials, etc.

I am leaning towards the Willard because the location looks more convenient and the reviews on Tripadvisor are consistently good. I have a good friend who thinks we should choose the Mayflower. She has stayed at The Mayflower and likes it. The Mayflower is cheaper. For some reason, I am drawn to the Willard.

So, which would you choose and why? Thanks!
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:31 AM

Do you know the history of the Willard? It is such a part of American history. It is beautiful and convenient. You can walk right over to the White House. I've visited the hotel, but never stayed there. If I could afford it, I certainly would.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

I have read about the history of The Willard. I think that is why I am leaning that way. However, the savings at The Mayflower is significant. My friend thinks the location of the Mayflower will give us more affordable dining choices.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:08 AM

Probably true, so save the money and make a stop at the Willard to see it and read the articles and info they have posted in a little history gallery.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO it all depends on where you want to eat, what kind of food you want, and how far you are willing to walk/Metro/take a taxi.

The Willard as well as the nearby Marriott would be a lot more convenient if you were walking to the Mall or even down a block or two and then to the Smithsonian museums.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:31 AM

Did you know the term Lobbyist was coined by U.S. Grant about the people who came to the Willard to ask him for consideration for various things?

Also, interesting newsman, Henry Villard, spent a lot of time with various presidents, meeting some at the Willard.

So, if you don't get to stay there, it is well worth a visit.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

We are interested in causal dining for dinner. We will be out and about for lunch (obviously) and then we will want to grab a bite for dinner. I don't want to spend $200 (or more) on a meal. We are willing to walk or take the Metro.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Oops - casual.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
As u said, t he Willard is a better location - probably about a mile closer to the Mall and the White House. If the weather is nice, the Mayflower is still an easy walk to many attractions. the Mayflower is right near a metro. It really depends upon how much u like to walk versus taking the metro which is not cheap. It will cost u close to $5 roundtrip per person during non rush hours. http://www.wmata.com/ As far as dinner, it's a toss up -- u wont have trouble finding casual places to eat.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

I made a reservation at The Mayflower this morning. The Willard is my first choice, but I just can't justify the cost. I am sure we will like The Mayflower.

Thanks to all for your thoughts on this.