Wild Animal Park--Feed Giraffes?

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wild Animal Park--Feed Giraffes?

We are soon to go on our annual trek to San Diego and were planning on going to the Wild Animal Park to let my younger daughter (giraffe obsessed) feed the giraffes. But I don't see that on their website anymore. Does anyone know if they still offer that? If not, it's probably not worth the trek for us, I am actually disappointed at the new changes.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Don't quote me because I'm not sure, but as I remember the "Photo Caravan" package...which is more expensive than regular tickets to the park....gets up close and personal with the giraffes. If the people on this tour have fed the giraffes all morning, then nobody else is going to be allowed to do it...so it is a hit-or-miss proposition.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM

They were doing this at the SD Zoo a few months ago but not sure about the Park. It was really cool!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Bummer. A few years ago I went and they just had an assigned time when you could go to one of the lookouts, pay something like $2.00 for a giraffe treat, and feed it to whatever giraffe was there trying to get a handout.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 10:15 AM

I highly, highly recommend the photo caravan safari at the Wild Animal Park. I did it two years ago and it was worth every penny! You are right up close and personal with the animals, and I was able to feed giraffes right out of my hand. The giraffes were my favorite part, actually. If your daughter is giraffe-obsessed, this would be an unforgettable experience for her.

I actually prefer the Wild Animal Park to the Zoo in many ways-- and as a child I definitely loved riding the tram and seeing the animals roaming around in the open. Plus, the WAP now has the lion encampment, which is so cool. I'd definitely encourage a trip there!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 10:56 AM

They do this at the Zoo and there are at least 4, maybe 5 giraffes. I think they do it on weekends at 10am. Double check me to be sure.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info about the zoo. I like the zoo better than the WAP anyhow. As far as the photo safari, the giraffe obsessed girl in question is only four so we will wait on that.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:30 PM

i was at the WAP about a month ago and you could still feed the giraffes. You have to walk out along the path to a look out point (it's above the new lion camp). It was a different spot than a few years ago, but i think that is because of the new tram that is going through the Heart of Africa. As of a month ago it was still only $2 to feed.

we were at the zoo 2 weeks ago and if remeber correctly they do have giraffe feeding as like stated above on weekends at specific times.

If you want to be sure the website should have an 800 number and you could call and find out.

both parks are great and i am sure your daughter will be happy with either one.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I think I will have to call and find out--I would hate to promise something and then not deliver!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Yes, it's still there, but in a temporary location. (it's marked on the map that you get at the entrance)
Just remember that the giraffes aren't ever guaranteed to be there. They come and go all day long.

I used to work at the giraffe feeding at the Wild Animal Park. It's a popular attraction, but there would often be disappointed guests when the giraffes weren't around.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM

I have never been to WAP for comparison, but I was at San Diego Zoo last week and I saw those giraffes really well from the top deck of the bus that makes the guided tour (which I highly recommend!!!). I did not have my 3 year old with me in SD but, if I had, he would have gone bananas over the giraffes. They were so cute --one was a baby (though giraffe babies are still rather large) and she was hanging out in the feeding spot because it was 10am and that is the time they feed them on the weekends. They said she does that everyday looking for the food even though it only comes once or twice a week. If you go to the zoo, perhaps you can time it around 10am and see if she is hunting her usual spot? I thought the giraffe exhibit at the zoo was one of the best ones becasue there were so many of them and you could see them from many angles (around a semi-circle shaped exhibit).

In the "wild" it might be a better experience, but having a 3 year old I know how important it is to deliver on those promises!! Maybe this info will help.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:23 PM

I have some fun photos of the giraffes being fed at the zoo if you are interested:

www.kodakgallery.com/carlasadventures

I also just received my monthly Zoonooz magazine and their was a photo of the giraffes being fed at the Park, which I will be visiting in a couple weeks, I can't wait.