SD Zoo or Wild Animal Park

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SD Zoo or Wild Animal Park

Hello. I have been to the zoo several times, but never to the Wild Animal Park. I am taking my wife to San Diego for the first time and need help deciding which one to go to. I have only heard bad things about the Wild Animal Park but am open to suggestions.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM

Go to the Wild Animal Park! It is so neat to see the animals roaming,as if they are in their native habitat!
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:46 PM

I've been to the zoo a handful of times and the WAP just once, but, I love them both. If your budget permits, what made the WAP really special on our trip was the photo caravan safari. I think it lasted for a good 3 hours and offered an up close look at the animals (we even had the opportunity to feed rhinos and giraffes). It was a really great experience.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM

Go for the WAP and the caravan tour. I have been to both and while I love the zoo, the caravan gets you closer access than anyplace I have ver been
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:14 PM

I would take into consideration the time of year. Summer is likely to be hot at the WAP. Since it's her 1st time to SD, I'd vote for the Zoo.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM

We loved the caravan at WAP.
Zoo if very good, but if I had to pick one it would be WAP. I don't remember what our tour was called, but we did feed Giraffe and Rhinos. Very cool. The Roar and Snoar program looks very cool as well. You should check into that and just spend the night in the zoo or WAP. I think they both have some overnight program.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM

We loved the caravan at WAP.
Zoo if very good, but if I had to pick one it would be WAP. I don't remember what our tour was called, but we did feed Giraffe and Rhinos. Very cool. The Roar and Snoar program looks very cool as well. You should check into that and just spend the night in the zoo or WAP. I think they both have some overnight program. We didn't get to do that, but wished that we would have.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 08:15 PM

We much preferred the zoo.

The WAP was a bit disappointing to us. The animals were not always easy to see, and you don't get as close as the zoo. It was also quite hot (went in October).

We did not go on the special up close tour, which costs more. Just did the regular ride around the park. Maybe that special tour makes it more worthwhile.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:29 PM

Both are open in the evening during the summer. trippinkpj is right, if it's going to be hot, you're better off at the zoo because the enclosures are smaller and the animals are easier to spot.
If the weather is moderate than try the WAP.

What month will you be here?
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:41 PM

I would not underestimate the charm of seeing a baby panda.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:30 PM

If you go in the summer and come from a green part of the world, the wild animal park can seem disturbingly dry and brown and overgrazed and barren.

IF you do go to the WAP, definitely spring for the up close tour.

I myself adore the Zoo.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:55 AM

I think the Wild Animal park is awesome. Many times we post a pick of the Zoo over the Wild Animal Park, because people are visiting the San Diego area for limited days and the Wild Animal park is just a bit of a drive and little kids can get grouchy. But, for just yourself and your wife, it is very nice. It is very warm there and your should go early intthe day or later toward the evening.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM

Oh and don't miss feeding the giraffes, very cool. Ask at the front for times. It's free with admisssion.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM

Here's another vote for the zoo, which is among the best in the world. The animal habitats are excellent, too.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:33 PM

We went to the zoo a couple of days ago. I'm afraid we didn't go much on it - thought the animal habitats were poor and cramped - and, for the size of the zoo (and the reputation for one of the best zoos in the world), there weren't many animals! Maybe it was just us, at the end of a long and tiring trip - but we wished we'd gone to the Wild Animal Park instead.