Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

S.D. Zoo or Wild Animal Park, how about Orange County??

Old Feb 28th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have been to the San Diego zoo but it was many years ago (we live 2 hours from S.D.) We have never been to the Wild Animal park. We have visitors (in early 60's, good health etc.) coming to visit from NYC in early May and trying to plan day trips with them. Would love to hear comparisons between the two. Also, what would you suggest for a day in Orange County? Thank you!
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 08:36 AM

this is my first time responding to a post, so i hate that i am about to be negative, but.....
a group of us went to the wild animal park in escondido last year and were disappointed. by noon, we had seen and done everything in the park. the entrance fee was comparable to what you'd pay at knotts or s.d. zoo, where you would certainly get a full days entertainment!
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 02:18 PM

I live in San Diego and frequent the zoo much more often than the Wild Animal Park. The Animal Park does have a great tram ride that lets you see rare african and asian animals in a 'natural' setting. Rhinos, giraffe but mostly buffalo and many kinds of antelope, etc. It lasts about 45-60min. It is very enjoyable, but that is the highlight of the park. There are walking trails to get closer to the animals, but they are a bit long. There is also a wonderful gorilla exhibit and lorikeet landing, where you can feed birds that land on your hand.

I prefer the zoo much more, there is so much more variety, not to mention the pandas, koalas, etc.

Have a wonderful visit with your friends!
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 02:41 PM

I alsolive in San Diego and have been to both the Zoo and the Wild Animal Park many times. I agree that the Zoo is the place to go. If it has been some years since you were there, you will find that there have been many changes. Also, if you have had enough of the Zoo, there are many other things to look at and museums to visit in Balboa Park.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:00 PM
ltt

the zoo will have changed a lot and is alway enjoyable but you need to enjoy walking a lot.
i enjoy the animal park but i've always thought it was a good deal for members but i usually am ready to leave within 3 hours so it's not such a great deal.
another fun attraction which i love in san diego is sea world.
if you want to head to orange - how about a lunch in laguna beach. lovely place to send 4-5 hours eating and waundering.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:37 PM

Another vote for the zoo. We're members and get free admission to both and find ourselves going back to the zoo much more than the park.