Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Oregon/Rogue River - Explore from the west or east? TuTuTun rooms?

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay...thought we'd try TuTuTun again...
were there 4 yrs ago, w/a fairly basic room & found it very peaceful. We could use some rest & relaxation for our upcoming
trip in May!

Was going to post a thread w/a title asking if the outdoor tub rooms at TuTuTun are worth the splurge, as they are quite expensive....but now thinking a gen'l thread would be better for our questions re: hiking in.

TuTuTun doesn't have any of the balcony ones...so would be a main floor room w/tub.

While searching for info on the lodge... ran across a 2005 posting here
re: Paradise Lodge & others that one seems to generally approach by hiking in (or boating) from the east...from I-5, perhaps? Sounded like lots of wildlife
& kinda cool!

Anyone have an opinion? I thought we might take the all-day mailboat from TuTuTun if staying there...but am beginning to wonder...which is the more 'special' experience, in the end?

Logistics-wise...maybe it's just too hard to schedule the trip from the eastern side, as we'll be doing a 2-week road trip. Would have a lot of 'stuff' to leave behind in car, etc.

Maybe a walk-in trip from the east is best left as a trip all on its own? Not sure how much time one would need to allocate for this...maybe a full week?

Anyway, it's something I haven't heard that much about, so will see if I can find more comments about it. When I first saw mention of hiking in along the Rogue...
I was thinking that was from Gold Beach.

I didn't realize there is a whole hiking/lodge option thing from the other side. Thanks!

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM

I have hiked the trail into Paradise and taken the jet boat out and it was very fun. I have not stayed at TuTuTun
so cant compare the two- Paradise is probably more rustic- but it was a great experience.
The hike is not for the faint of heart as some of it goes along a high ridgeline with steepdrop offs- but I wouldnt say it was difficult.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sunbum!
Did you hike in from Gold Beach area,
or the other way? That's what's still confusing me, I think.

And how long did you dedicate to the trip? Thanks again!
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 03:07 PM

We drove from Gold Beach to -I think it was called Foster Bar and hiked from there.
I dont remember how many hours it took-
seems like it most of the day - arrived at Paradise in time for to clean up and have a little rest before dinner
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:52 PM

I did a little research to refresh my memory- we did start hiking at Foster Bar- 12 miles to Paradise - so with stopping to enjoy the sites and having lunch did take most of the day.

We didnt see any critters on the trail but apparently rattle snakes and bears have been seen -
I think I mentioned in a previous post the part of the hike I didnt like was one area sloping toward the river on a steep cliff- kind of gravely and felt like if I started slipping on the gravel I would never stop. Found a walking stick and felt a little more secure with that

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM

Last summer we stayed at the Paradise Lodge as part of a week-long rafting trip on the Rogue River (which was fabulous even for someone like myself who doesn't like camping). We had deer right outside our cabin and while eating dinner we looked out the window and saw a bear on their golf course (I think it is only 3 holes). They have a landing strip so I know flying is another option for getting there. Very peaceful, I spent my time in a hammock reading a book.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the further info.
Sounds cool!