Wicked (NYC) Question

Search

Wicked (NYC) Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2007, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wicked (NYC) Question

Hi - Really wanting to see Wicked on a weekend NYC trip in January. Looks like we can get "partial view" tickets for $130 each. (Sat night show) They are the last 2 seats on the the Orchestra rows B, C or E. How limited is the view? How would these seats compare to the rear mezzanine? Really want to see the show, but not if the seat we can get ruins the experience. Also, will these prices come down any as the show approaches (weekend of 1/12) or is it just too popular? Thanks for any advice!
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 11:22 AM

From what I understand, the view isn't too limited. Plus, sitting that close, you would be able to see faces more clearly. The Gershwin is a huge theatre, so sitting in the mezz is a fair distance from the stage(though certainly still enjoyable.)

Are you looking to purchase the tickets through ticketmaster? If that's the case, no, the price will not come down. Wicked tickets have never been discounted. I'm not sure about a change in price if you're going through a broker.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

This is through a broker - I believe it is sold out through ticketmaster. That's good to know on partial view - we may grab those last minute if they are still available. Otherwise it sounds like the TKTS booth is a good bet for other shows.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 11:35 AM

I have a new hobby. It's spending time on Craigslist flagging all the SCALPERS, who are ruining the Broadway market. They buy out everything good making it impossible to get seats from the theatre or its agent direct, and reducing the possibility of the theatre doing discounts. Then they advertise for free on Craigslist which is supposed to be for "individual sellers" only.

They do often have reduced price tickets last minute (the scalpers that is, not the theatre), but they tend not to be very good seats.

But back to your question. I'd take those end seats in E if there is a choice. I'd much prefer being down that close. Not everyone will agree, as some like to see the "spectacle" from further back, but I'd really enjoy seeing faces and expressions.
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 09:36 PM

if you're going to buy through a broker, definitely make sure it's a somewhat legitimate one like StubHub, Razorgator, TicketsNow, etc. Tickets may come down in price on Craigslist, once they brokers see that they will lose money unless they sell asap.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:32 AM

As I mentioned, I've been following (and flagging) the ads on Craigsist for a while. Basically the scalpers don't seem to reduce them until a day or two before the actual performance. Even then, I've often seen them just coming down to face value or slightly above for the top shows. Other shows they are offering discounts for are still available from the box office with a discount code for even less!

I wish everyone would avoid buying from the agencies all together, so that we could get back to the days of actually buying them direct from the theatre and its agent. These agencies are buying out everything and then together they inflate the prices. If no one would buy from them, they'd stop buying so many and and we could go back to buying them direct for lower prices. Just my 2 cents.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 07:37 AM

In October, I checked Ticketmaster almost exactly 48 hours before Wicked and the "premium" seats that they sell for $250 up until then were reduced to face value-$110-and I got 3 in the third row. This doesn't always happen, but is worth a try if you have the nerves for it. That said, orchestra seats at $130 now are a good deal, IF from a reputable broker but I agree with Patrick that one should try to avoid rewarding the scalpers.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, this is great info - yes, I don't mind waiting until last, last minute - because there are so many shows that we want to see that I think we can get at a TKTS booth if Wicked doesn't work out. And we have confirmed seats for a Friday night show, so whatever we get Sat is bonus. I will check ticket master and some reputable brokers in the few days leading up to 1/12 and see what happens...!
Thanks again all - I can't wait to get there!!
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 06:01 AM

Rather then "check reputable brokers" a few days before, why not print out some discount codes from broadwaybox.com (or playbill.com) and drop by the appropriate theatres and see what tickets they have at those discounts? Much better idea in my book than using brokers, or even standing in line at TKTS to see what they might have at the last minute.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

The problem is that I can't seem to find more than 1 discount available for Broadway Box, Playbill or any others for Sat NIGHT - they only offer discounts for Fri Night or Sat Matinee - which is great, we got our Friday night tix thru Broadway Box at a GREAT price - but we also want to see a Sat NIGHT show and they don't seem to be good options.

Thanks everyone
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Compare what www.applause-tickets.com has for your date. They're a broker that seems to get good seats for Wicked and for that kind of money, you shouldn't be in partial view seats imo.