White Christmas in America

Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Christmas in America

Hello! My fiance and I will be going to America for our honeymoon and looking to have a classic white christmas like you see in the movies; the beautiful big American houses, making snowmen and perhaps some iceskating. We will be staying in New York from the 16th until the 22nd/23rd and looking at going to a beautiful town a renting a house/room, preferably with our own fireplace and spa, and in a town that celebrates Christmas so we can still go out for a nice Christmas meal and have lots of Christmas cheer around! Probably prefer to stay in a place with owners or reception so we can get local advice when we get there on things to do, restaurants etc.

We were looking at Vermont/New Hampshire way as it looks so scenic, but after this we will be going to Niagra falls so if it was on the way or near the falls would be fantastic too as it will save us a bit of time.

We weren't looking to spend a lot - around $250 per night, unless it was really amazing.

If anyone could help with suggestions of towns to look in, websites to look at or particular hotels or cabins that would suit this please do help!

Thanks
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 03:27 AM

Bethlehem, NH?

I would think of the Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY, perhaps Lake Placid, site of at least two Winter Olympics. It is more or less on the way to Niagara, which Vermont and New Hampshire are not.

You could go into Canada from Vermont or NH and approach Niagara from the Canadian side as n alternative.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 05:03 AM

The further north you go the better the chances are you'll see snow around Christmas BUT you are dealing with Mother Nature so there are never any guarantees - look at places in far upstate New York (perhaps the Finger Lakes region or the Adirondacks as mentioned by Ackislander). Many of the towns in Vermont or New Hampshire will fill all your requirements (except for the guarantee of snow) and they really won't be that long a drive from Niagra so don't write them off without at lease doing some research - check some of the towns near the major ski areas - they'll have plenty of options as far as accommodations are concerned. There are scores of places to choose from, here are just a few to consider:

In Vermont:
Killington
Stratton
Sugarbush
Mount Snow
Stowe
Middlebury

In New Hampshire:
Dartmouth Area
Granite Gorge
Mount Sunapee

Good luck in your search.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 06:22 AM

I've lived in central New Hampshire for 34 years, and we've had snow on the ground for Christmas about 80% of the time. Some 'picture perfect' towns - Woodstock Vt, Stowe Vt, Grafton Vt, Waitsfield Vt, Jackson NH, Lyme NH, Bethlehem NH, Walpole NH. There are dozens more.
The Round Barn Inn in Waitsfield Vermont is very scenic, as is Dowd's Country Inn in Lyme NH, The Woodstock Inn in Woodstock Vt.
Realize that Niagara Falls is a very long, not particularly scenic ride from Vermont, and can be tricky driving inn winter.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 10:10 AM
HKP

Another inn that knows it shines at Christmas: http://echolakeinn.com/

There are many, and some are more outside towns in order to have bucolic view and setting (like this one). You may want to decide whether staying in town vs. out in country is a preference. Either way, owners are used to giving advice and suggestions.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 10:33 AM

I don't know where you are flying into, but if it is JFK, then note that it can be a 4-6 drive to Vermont, depending where in the state you are going.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 11:32 AM

You should be aware there is likely no snow in NYC then and may or may not be upstate and in NH or Vermont. Many ski resorts make snow that early inthe season.

Separately, most things in Niagara Falls will be closed - Maid of the Mist and other majosr sights are open from late April though Oct - then close for the year. I wouldn't waste 2 days on that (you hve to either fly or take a 8/9 train ride to get there).

Noe if you are travleing in VT or NH you would need to rent a car - public transit is incredibly limited.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 11:33 AM

It snows at Bedford Falls every year!
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 01:50 PM
HKP

Ting!
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 03:26 PM

Quebec City is almost guaranteed to have a white Christmas. I think 2006 is the only year on record when it didn't happen.
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 03:29 PM

Just wanted to add that we spent a week there between Christmas. And New Years this year, and it was very snowy, and beautiful..