Winter week in NH, VT or Adirdks?

Old Oct 13th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter week in NH, VT or Adirdks?

Hi All-
Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions. We're planning a week-long winter getaway for the two of us in either NH, VT or possibly the Adirondacks. Our trouble is in narrowing down a region/location. We're more the "spend the day in the woods" rather than "where's the outlet?" types. I enjoy museums, he doesn't (read: we may get to one during the whole week). A Norman Rockwell quintessential town would do us well for lunch and a stroll, but not more than a day, tops. We don't downhill, but do cross country, snowshoe and hike. We prefer inns that are quiet and off the beaten track, rather than large resorts or in-town. We are a bit spoiled, however, and really enjoy fine food and a nice wine cellar! We also would enjoy great ambience...cozy fireplaces, nicer accommodations. We're also not committed to staying in just one place. Help in choosing specifics or even just narrowing down a region would be most helpful and much appreciated!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:16 PM

You might check out the Franconia Inn which not surprisngly is located in Franconia NH. You can snowshoe, hike, ski etc. Lots or good places to eat right up the road in Littleton NH. Littleton NH has a wonderful quaint main street.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Muffin. Checked out the website. Looks promising!
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 04:37 PM
CJC

I would check out The Christmas Farm Inn in Jackson, N. H. We loved Mirror Lake Inn in New York (Lake Placid area), but it's not in the country. Don't rule out The Balsam's in Dixville Notch, N.H. even though it's a resort. It's a lovely, all-inclusive country resort with an ice skating pond, sleigh rides, cross country skiing and great food. You would have to drive some to get to a museum, however.
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, CJC. I've heard really great things about Christmas Farm Inn. I checked out Balsam's. Looks fantastic. You've stayed there before?
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 06:10 PM
bm

How about spending a night or two at the Rabbit Hill Inn in Lower Waterford, VT? It's a beautiful Inn with a great reputation and is close enough to day trip to the White Mountains. I wouldnt stay there a week as it's fairly isolated, but for a couple nights it would be great.
Another place to try would be the Blueberry Hill Inn. It's located near Middlebury, VT (I think it's actually in either Ripton or Goshen) and has it's own x-country ski network. Middlebury is a nice town to explore.
Have fun!