CATH, Inc. Coffee and Tea House
City Market Deli
Le Peep (for breakfast)
Bar-B-Q Heaven
Giancarlo's Pizza
Shapiro's Deli and Cafeteria
Milano Inn
Dutch Oven

Also, any recommendations for lunch in Broad Ripple or Zionsville? Many thanks!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:56 AM
hoosier hospitality

don't know about the others but a dutch oven is when you break wind in bed and pull the sheets up over your lover's head so that they can enjoy the aroma too

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 12:04 PM
al

For lunch, try Yat's, a new, unpretentious, reasonable cajun/creole place near Broad Ripple, on N. College, by the former Atlas supermarket (and possibly very close to the CATH Coffee House). Just ate there 2 weeks ago and it was amazing.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Julie

Shapiro's is excellent, they give you huge,tasty sandwiches for a decent price.

Giancarlo's is a good spot for pizza.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Phoebe Bird

Al and Julie, thanks for the reviews. One thing though -- I was under the impression that the CATH Coffee House was at City Market. Two locations, perhaps? Thanks again!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:00 AM
al

CATH must have more than one location.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:10 AM
me

An Indy restaurant listing without St. Elmo's is incomplete.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Phoebe Bird

me, can you tell me something about St. Elmo's? We're mostly looking for inexpensive and kid-friendly. Does this fit the bill? Thanks.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:59 AM
al

St. Elmos is one of the finest restaurants in Indy - a steakhouse founded in 1902 or thereabouts. It's definitely not INexpensive and their degree of "kid friendliness" is questionable too, but if you can steal away, like steak and don't mind dropping $200 for 2, St. Elmos is a great place. Note: Their shrimp cocktail ($10) is world famous, and if you have one you'll know why.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:08 AM
al

By the way, Yat's (see above) qualifies as inexpensive and kid-friendly.

You order your food at the front counter off the list on the chalkboard. The menu is different every day. A plateful of food is $5, but you can have 1/2 and 1/2 for $6.

I can vouch for the jambalaya, chili cheese etouffe with crawfish, and grilled corn and black beans w/ sour cream. Really outstanding stuff.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Phoebe Bird

Probably not going on the list, then... ;o) Thanks for the info.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Phoebe Bird

Thanks Al, Yat's sounds good. We'll be spending a day in Broad Ripple Village, and we'll be having lunch while we're there, so maybe we'll give it a try!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:40 PM
peg

If you go to Shapiro's, you can feed three kids (or two adults) with one sandwich. And, it's the *only* place to get matzo ball soup and yummy potato pancakes. Cheap? Well, sorta/kinda, but the food is plentiful and good, and it's an Indy institution. Be sure to go to the original one just south of downtown (south meridian I think... can't recall right now). Avoid the high noon lunch crowd, go early or late.

Milano is an older Italian restaurant, also just south of downtown. Used to be pretty good--big portions, reasonably priced--but I don't know how it is now.

Peeps is great for breakfast, not particularly cheap, but the portions are huge. Highly recommend the granola pancakes.

By the way, if Yats is near the old Atlas Supermarket, it's at 54th and College, which is about a mile south of Broad Ripple proper. Not walking distance with kids.

There are also a bunch of places inside Circle Center Mall downtown. There's also a good Italian place on 54th street, between College and Keystone. I think the name is Mama Corolla's. Not real cheap, but the food is good.

Hollyhock Hill is a great old restaurant in a big house around 80th and College. They have wonderful fried chicken and the like, served family style. Very family oriented.

You didn't ask, but don't miss the Children's Museum, and the Museum of Art at 38th and Michigan (421) and Eiteljorg Museum (near IUPUI) are both excellent. And your kids might enjoy the Indiana Historical Museum, it's also downtown, a few blocks northeast of the circle. Have a good time. Indy's an underrated city. Clean, relatively cheap, and easy to get around.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Phoebe Bird

Peg, thanks for the recommendations. Granola pancakes... mmmmm... Yes, we're definitely spending a day at the children's museum, but I don't think my kids (4 and 2) would last long in a historical museum. Thanks again!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:43 PM
Craig

I would also recommend St Elmo's (got to have the shrimp cocktail best I have had anywhere) and Shaperio's (sorry about the spelling) for fantastic eastern style deli food

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 04:55 PM
xxx

ttt