Notices

Restaurants nr. Fallingwater ???

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Eva

Restaurants nr. Fallingwater ???

We'll be visiting Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob this Oct. and I've been looking at places to stay and eat.
Has anyone dined at Chez Gerard restaurant in Hopwood on Rt. 40 and/or at The Stone House in Farmington? Chez G. sounds good, but is it worth the extra expence ????

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 06:30 PM
carol

hi eva! i was just in this area on saturday.my 1st suggestion would be chez gerard.i have heard good things though have not eaten there.there is another place right on rt.40 in farmington called the summit inn resort.we actually had lunch there.it's very old.lots of history.the meal was good and the dining room lovely.they have a web site.summitinnresort.com.also,there's nemacolin woodlands resort also on rt.40.if you don't want to get dressed up,they have a casual restaurant near the golf courses called the caddy shack that's very good.good luck and enjoy!

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 02:51 AM
Paul

I have eaten at the Stonehouse before. It is right down the street from the Summit Hotel/Restaurant. The Stonehouse has excellent 'home-style' food, if I am remembering correctly. It was about five years ago we were there. The food was very good. We went on a Sunday afternoon - Chicken, Roast Beef, etc. was the fare. I do remember everything being very 'homemade' and the pies were out of this world!

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Paul

On a side note - there was a house very near the Stone House restaurant, on the same side of the road, that had a circular drive and odd iron-works in their yard. The had what must have been 200 rabbits running all around. There were all diferent colors and breeds. Worth going through their driveway for a bit of fun.

Happy Trails,
paul

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 02:39 AM
Lori

I'd go for the Stone House, although I haven't been there in years. I went to school with the chef! This family used to have another restaurant up Route 40. Not sure if it's still there. The Stone House used to get lots of locals.

If you want a truly upscale experience, try the Nemacolin Woodlands.

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For our trip to the Fallingwater area we ate at The Coal Baron (I believe this was on 40 east. It was very good. If it's a weekend night I would recommend making a reservation. Food was excellent, very large portions and very friendly service. We also ate at Caleigh's very good, they also have a sunday brunch. There are lots of other very good restaurants in the area.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eva,

I live in this area. Where you eat depends on what you're looking for. The Stone House has recently undergone new management--so I can't vouch for the current food. In times past, the food was decent, sometimes portions a little small for the price (we thought). Chez Gerard is a local upscale french restaurant. Whether you go depends on if you want to spend the money and want french cuisine--have heard the portion sizes are small. Just a side note, as for places where the "locals" go, this area is highly populated with senior citizens and some of the favorite places with them are more "homestyle" places--chicken dinners, ham dinners, buffets, homestyle food, etc., at low prices. There are several of these in the area that are very popular--Glisan's Restuarant on Route 40, famous for huge homebaked rolls, breakfasts, pies. Lone Star restaurant, is another and at the bottom of the mountain is the Sun Porch Buffet, another "family" style restaurant serving a huge food and salad buffet daily. Keep in the mind the last three are not fancy eateries. Another poster mentioned Caleigh's which is very good--just ate there Friday night--they are currently running a $13.95 early bird Surf and Turf (stuffed lobter/petite filet) from 4-6 Tues-Fri which was outstanding. Other selections on the menu all priced over the $13.95 early bird. It's in an historic victorian house, a little more upscale, not overly generous portions. There are a few other places over the top of the mountain, including Nemacolin Woodlands. They have a Tuesday night American Buffet and Thursday night Italian Buffet at the Caddy Shack (a little more casual than the resorts other restaurants). If it's nice, you can dine out on the deck overlooking the golf course. Italian buffet is good. There is a steak restaurant--Topos, heading east--never tried it. Coal Baron is one of the area's nicer restaurants as well--valet parking, good food.