Which Miami Beach Area?

Search

Which Miami Beach Area?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Melanie

Which Miami Beach Area?

Hello,

My mother and I will be spending two nights in Miami in March en route to S. America. I am trying to decide between Key Biscayne, Coconut Grove or South Beach. Which area has a nice beach, good restos and feels more resort-y?

South Beach looks neat but I am worried it will be really loud - we are not into clubbing! Still, we want to see some Miami colour and not feel like we are in a concrete jungle.

Please help!!

Thanks,

Mel

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Nick

Aside from the fact that I think it is chronically overrated, I thought Miami Beach was OK - there last month. For beach, go to South Beach as I could not see that CGrove or Key Biscayne offered that. When we were there, it was not that busy anyway. Business people said since Sept 11th it has not been the same - maybe an exaggeration. Good value hotel is Doubletree Surfcomber - slept like a log in quiet room (away from street) with beach out the back - 2 doors down from much more expensive Delanos

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Dave

Mel,

Coconut grove is more college kids type of an area, and the traffic is terrible.

Key Biscayne is nice, but I think too quite for what you are looking for.

The best bet would be to stay on the norht side of South Beach. That way you can enoy it during the day, and be quite at night.

Also you are only 15 minutes from MIA from the beach.

I would recommend, Loews, Shore Club Fountain Blue, Eden Rock in that order.

Dave

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Patrick

Wow, Dave has said it perfectly and I agree with every word.

And I too would recommend Loews as a first choice hotel!! Walk to great restaurants, but be just past the edge of the real noise.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Elisachristine

Melanie,
I agree with those guys, the North Side of South Beach is beautiful. I would suggest Lowes or the Delano. The Holiday Inn also is very nice in South Beach and they have a quaint little tikki bar beside their pool and they even provide free beach chairs. Key Biscayne is more subdue and Coconut Grove is pretty, but it is like being in a big outdoor shopping mall. SoBe by far has the best restaurants. There is a great little sushi bar at the end of Lincoln Road (near the Banana Republic)...you sit around a bar and the sushi goes around on a conveyor belt...you pick what you want off of the conveyor belt. Its really cool. Also, Lincoln Road is lined with wonderful restaurants-all with outdoor seating. Check out Yuka if you like Cuban--on Lincoln or Bollero (on Washington Ave.) There are also great places to eat on Ocean Drive as well. Stay away from Joe Stonecrab something or other...though...everyone talks about it, but its so touristy...

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Dave

Hi,

I have eaten at the Sushi bar you mentioned and it was good. Even better is Doraku, which is a little closer to the theater.

Another good Cuban restaurant, and much cheaper than Yuca is Davids Cafe II, just down from Yuca.

I agree with your comments on Joes, it is one of those landmarks "must try" but frankly I refuse to be shaken down by the doorman, to be seated. If you really want Stone Crabs, go to the take out part of the restaurant, or to Monty's down the road.

I just think it is so vulgar the way the
Maitredi shakes down the customers! and the way he does it right in the open, is just so disrespectful to those that had reservations.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Dave

Hi,

I have eaten at the Sushi bar you mentioned and it was good. Even better is Doraku, which is a little closer to the theater.

Another good Cuban restaurant, and much cheaper than Yuca is Davids Cafe II, just down from Yuca.

I agree with your comments on Joes, it is one of those landmarks "must try" but frankly I refuse to be shaken down by the doorman, to be seated. If you really want Stone Crabs, go to the take out part of the restaurant, or to Monty's down the road.

I just think it is so vulgar the way the
Maitredi shakes down the customers! and the way he does it right in the open, is just so disrespectful to those that had reservations. $30-$40 gets you seated in minutes, at the expense of everyone else!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Kirsten

We loved the Ritz in Key Biscayne. Nice resort, decent beach, but very quiet. Had a great time in South Beach, and can not wait until the Ritz opens there...Fun restaurants within walking distance ( unlike Key Biscayne).
Good Luck

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 10:43 AM
amy

Does anyone know when the Ritz is supposed to open in South Beach?

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:17 AM
BeachBoi

RitzCarlton SouthBeach scheduled for opening June 2003.