1st time to Miami Beach

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time to Miami Beach

My girlfriends and I are considering going to Miami Beach in August. We have never been there and would like to know if it is suggested. We like shopping, beaches, relaxing, and nightlife. I saw the Newport Beachside Resort online, and was wondering if anyone had ever been there? Also, what are some suggested places for nightlife, shopping, and restaurants?
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM

I think for a girls trip you would be better off in South Beach.

Pros:
You don't need a car.
Everything is within walking distance; shopping, dining, and attractions.
The water temps are very very warm in August. High 80s.
There will be lots of other people on the same trip you are on.
The buildings are amazing.

Cons:
South Beach is expensive.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM

South Beach is filled with cutting edge, hip clothes shops for young women and in addition has great nightlife and a lively street scene at night.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:34 PM

My, how place names change. I am old enough to remember when what is now called South Beach was just a part of Miami Beach that was characterized by residential hotels filled with little old, mostly Jewish, blue haired ladies with walkers. Collins Ave was cheap shop after cheap shop (my MIL had one of those)and Lincoln Mall was mostly a place to be avoided after dark.

Now, it is South Beach and a happening place. Could be perfect for what the OP is asking for, if she doesn't get intimidated by the "beautiful people" on the beach.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:40 PM

basingstoke, South Beach has always been called South Beach. That part of Miami Beach is made up of South Beach, Mid Beach, and North Beach.

It is still just a part of Miami beach.

Just like the UES is Manhattan.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 02:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
karevak,

I agree with GoTravel. South Beach is a much better choice for you than the Newport that's located on the beach at 163.

I'll give you some advice for an August trip (I live about 25 miles NW of South Beach).

Get up relatively early and get in your beach stuff before noon. There's a pretty good chance that by late in the morning big black clouds will be rolling in and you'll have torrential thunderstorms in early to mid-afternoon. That rain will most likely keep the temperature from going up much above 93.

It will probably clear by late afternoon and you'll have a beautiful (humid) evening for dinner and some clubs.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 06:49 PM

GoTravel - thanks for the info. My Cuban MIL who lived there for years never called it that - just Miami, but then her English was never too good.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM

Late afternoon is fabulous for pool hopping happy hour at the swank hotel pools! Do not miss mojitos at The Delano. You may have to go into the hotel through the front door if there are a lot of celebrities by the pool. If not you can walk in through the beach entrance.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all of your respsonses... big help. Does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay in South Beach? I know someone who was in South Beach recently, and they didn't really find too much to do?... where they in a quieter part of South Beach?
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:28 AM

The person you know must be an imbicile. South Beach has stuff going on 24/7 to the point that it can be overwhelming.

Yes, of course there are quieter parts of South Beach but they are residential.