which marriott resort in Palm Springs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about trading my marriott time share for a week in Palm Springs. I'm debating between the Marriott Shadow Ridge and the Marriott Desert Springs Resort (II). We are golfers and will definitely be bringing our clubs. Anybody have any experience w/ either of these two resorts?
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:36 PM

I liked the Marriott Desert Springs quite a lot, though it is massive. (think Vegas) Many restaurants and one of the few decent nightclubs (Costas) in Palm Springs.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 02:26 PM

The Marriott Rancho Las Palmas in Rancho Mirage also has a golf course. I don't know how it compares to the others, though. We just like this resort, so I thought I'd mention it. The rooms are large and have a separate sitting area. The pool is nice and has not been overcrowded when we were there (usually April or October). There is also a spa and they have a wonderful breakfast buffet with outdoor dining overlooking the golf course. It is within walking distance of The River, a dining and shopping area with about 6 or 8 restaurants including Yardhouse Brew place, we've liked everything we've had here and PF Chang's. But, as I said I can't compare it to the other Marriotts.
Have a great vacation!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Any opinions on choice of Marriott Desert Springs or Marriott Rancho Las Palmas? Which has the best pool areas? Nicest rooms?
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:44 PM

Shadow Ridge is a condo /timeshare complex. While the condos are very,
very nice with lots of room, it feels
like you are staying in an apartment
complex. Pool is huge - but no trees
around or service or resort feel. I would not return as it did not have a
vacation feel.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 10:41 PM

Marriott Desert Springs is my favorite. Their are 2 nice courses to play on there. Beautiful grounds, try to get a room as close to the main part of the lobby, or else it's a long walk. The restaurant near where you check in for golf has great Southwest style eggs benedict. The time share rooms are kind of small from what my friends told me, but I don't know what to compare them to.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 06:27 AM

I'm going to buck the trend and vote against the Desert Springs resort. We stayed in the time share villas the summer before last and had to move rooms 3 times because the first 2 were cochroach infested. I'm not just talking about one cochroach but 12 in the first room on the first day and 5 in one hour in the second room. The staff was less than responsive saying "that's california". I'm sorry but I've stayed all over Ca. and never had that problem before. The pools are nice but the golf courses are a higher quality at Shadow Ridge, not that they are bad at D.S. but my husband is a big golfer and he preferred Shadow Ridge.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 11:49 AM
GoTravel

I've only stayed in the hotel and not time share accommodations but the Marriott Desert Springs Resort is wonderful!

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 07:39 PM

Shadow Ridge

pluses: better golf, newer facilities; can drive to area attractions and restaurants as quickly as if staying at DSR.

minuses: lacks the amenities of the Marriott DSR hotel on the property; buildings are "rowscrapers," which as someone else noted, might feel more like an apartment building. The timeshare at the DSR are in lower density building clusters.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 07:58 PM

We've stayed a Desert Springs a few times, but are tennis players, not golfers, and the tennis courts are excellent. My brother, who is a golfer, stayed with us last time and thought the courses were terrific. The unit was large and well equipped and there are many pools you can go to. Also, the hotel is nearby and the restaurants there are quite good--we especially like the Mexican one--sitting outside on the patio was lovely.

We went to a timeshare presentation at Shadow Ridge and I didn't like it as much.

We're in II as well and sometimes if I can't decide, I request both and let go with the one that comes up first, but I'd pick Desert Springs. You can check out Shadow Ridge while you're there for future reference.

Good luck.