Which Area in Palm Springs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on spending 5 days in Palm springs at the end of our California trip in October. I'm a bit confused as to what area we should go for; Rancho Mirage? Indian Wells? Indio? or Palm springs itself? We want to relax with a good book beside a pool in a 1st class hotel.
Thanks for any info.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 04:29 AM
GoTravel

Check out the Marriott Desert Springs Resort. Great place to relax by the pool.

Old Sep 27th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gotravel, that's where we'll go.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:25 PM
jd

We also love this hotel. While the rooms are typical Marriott rooms, the grounds and pool are great. Try to get a room overlooking the pool area.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 04:48 AM
GoTravel

The first time I saw the swan swim through the lobby I about fell over! One of my favorite resorts anywhere. The view is outstanding.

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:16 PM

We just returned from JW Marriott 2 weeks ago. While it is a lovely hotel, it tends to be a "party hotel" on the weekends. A room on the pool would be extremely noisy and disturbing at night. We had a room facing the front which had a lake with flamingos. Enjoyed watching the sun come up over the mountains every morning. We stayed at Westin's Mission Hill in January. That would be a much more relaxing area. Either one is a great choice. Depends on the room prices available. These towns all run together and you don't even know when you are in one or the other. Easy area to get around. Fly into Palm Springs.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 12:27 PM

If you don't mind a small hotel, there are some very nice boutique "inns" in Palm Springs which are arranged around the pools, eg Desert Hills Hotel, Calla Lily Inn.

If you want a large hotel, I also prefer the Westin.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 05:24 AM
LT

Clark:

I haven't been there in a while, but I have seen bad things posted on other threads here about the Desert Springs. It seemed nice when I was there, though. The Westin is also a good choice. I'd also recommend the Renaissance Esmeralda. Haven't actually stayed there, but have been in the public areas and the restaurants are very good. While I still think it's an OK place, the Lodge at Rancho Mirage has definitely slid from its Ritz-Carlton days. As far as towns, agree with Travelpat -- the towns are pretty much the same, with just slight to moderate variations on degrees of wealth within each town. Rancho Mirage and Indian Wells are definitely first class; Palm Desert is just slightly lower; Palm Springs is more for the L.A./S.F. "hip" (or pseudo-hip!) crowd; Indio is probably at the lower end of the list -- it's not bad; I just wouldn't stay there, as it would be quite a drive to get to Palm Springs and all of the things there, and it's really more of a "locals" town, rather than a tourist area.

Have a great time in Palm Springs! It's one of my favorite places!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:44 PM

La Quinta Resort & Spa - you can't go wrong there. The rooms are called "casitas". Large and comfortable with fireplace and incredible views of the mntns. Spa & Golf at their best!
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:59 PM

I second La Quinta Resort and Spa. We stay there a couple times a year and have never been unhappy with out choice. Have a great time.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 11:00 PM

We love the La Quinta Inn in LQ. Stay in a Casita with a fireplace and patio. Lots of great restaurants in the area.

Also like the Hyatt and Esmeralda in Palm Desert.
8-)
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:50 PM

I agree with la Quinta Resort. I go there from LA often. It is beautiful. One and two story buildings which surround many swimming pools. There are also a few large pools. All the pools and the extensive grounds are nice as you will never have a problem finding a place to sit and relax. Beautiful grounds with flowers and lemon trees. Music on the weekends, a good mexican restaurant onsite, Starbucks coffee and Krispy Cremes in the morning. Great spa, fitness facilities and, of course, golf.

There are a few different levels of rooms -

resort casita - may be one of the older rooms in the older part of the resort not surrounding pools but lovely grassy areas.

deluxe casita - either have a small open patio surrounding a pool or have a private, large, enclosed patio with high walls, a table and lounge chairs - great privacy.

starlight casitas - these are second story with really nice big enclosed patios with great views of the mountains. We usually request this casita because you can't reserve a private enclosed patio with the deluxe -only request it. It is really nice for our young child who can play safely outside on the patio without us worrying about him wandering off into a pool.

I've had good luck on the La Quinta website (laquintaresort.com) checking for prices and packages then calling the hotel directly to confirm.

You really can't go wrong there.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 02:35 PM

another vote for LaQuinta. It's the only place I've stayed in the area that I've really liked. It's not perfect though, the housekeeping could be more meticulous, but it is a beautiful place. I'd go for the deluxe fireplace rooms, either with a patio, or by the pool.
It's a great place for adults...
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 06:46 PM

What's important to you? Any thoughts on what activities you would like to do besides poolside reading? I would be glad to share some recommendations.