Which Kauai resort should we choose?

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Kauai resort should we choose?

Hi,
My husband and I will be vacationing in Kauai February 07. We can choose between the Sheraton Kauai Resort at Poipu or The Princeville Resort on the north shore. We will be vacation without our kids for the first time in three years. We'll want to surf, snorkle and lounge around. Maybe do a little sightseeing but the primary focus will be to relax. I've been reading alot about rain on Kauai...we live in Seattle and will want to experience as little rain as possible. Which resort would you suggest?
Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:23 PM
TahitiTams

HI..
I just booked the Grand Hyatt in Kauai and the sunshine on sale gives you the sixth night free and free breakfast that is a full spread everyday..
It is in Poipu area and everyone says it is spectacular!
kauai.hyatt.com
go to the special offer and they have lagoons that you can swim and kayak with water slides and I want sunshine when I am in Hawaii.. I can always drive to Princevillle and enjoy it's beauty but if you live in Seattle, you want to be on the sunny side of the island which is Poipu..
Have a blast!

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Sounds like you will want to stick with the south side then...and I've heard only great things about the Hyatt. The north shore is my favorite (jaw-dropping scenery) but you can always visit (and stop by the Princeville for a cocktail). should also be more accessible to snorkeling and surfing in Poipu.

Aloha!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 06:58 AM

I agree that the South shore is the best choice for February. The north shore often has strong wave action and rip currents in the winter - not the safest for inexperienced snorkelers. Beautiful place to visit, though.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:08 AM

I'm guessing you're using Starwood Points for the hotel, which I believe would rule out the Hyatt. As the others said, if you don't want rain Poipu is the way to go in February. However, I've stayed in the Garden Room of the Sheraton and was very unimpressed, so I'd recommend booking an ocean view room.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Several years ago my husband and I booked at the Sheraton-an anniversary trip w/out kiddies. We were disappointed w/ the Sheraton and ended up moving over to the Marriott in Lihue. The Sheraton didn't seem as nice as I expected it would be. Poipu itself is great but I was hoping the Sheraton would be more luxurious and "tropical" than it was. I haven't stayed at the Hyatt but checked it out and it is beautiful. I would definitely consider it if you want to stay in Poipu. Kauai is a wonderful island!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:31 AM

You do want the south shore if you want as little rain as possible. But, that said, the Princeville is a much nicer property than the Sheraton.

I would book the Hyatt in Poipu and save your Starwood points for Maui or Oahu! (more and better starwood choices on both islands.)
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:28 PM

The general advice here is good, if you want to avoid the rain then stay away from the north shore. Most of the time the winds come from the north east and drop the rain on the north east side while the south and west sides are in a rain shadow. Occasionally the winds come from the other direction and the south and west sides get the rain, but that is the exception to prove the rule. Coming from Seattle in July, I stayed in Princeville and the rain drove me nuts so now I stay in Poipu.

As for resorts the Sheraton doesn't have a great reputation, especially the garden rooms. However it is on a very nice beach with gentle waves. The Hyatt is a far superior hotel and is on Shipwreck beach which has bigger waves for boogie boarding. If you are comfortable in the waves then it is a fun place to play in the waves.

Alan