Search

yosemite question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yosemite question

What is the best time of year to visit Yosemite?
What are some of the highlights that should not be missed and how many days should I plan for the trip. Daughter lives in Sacramento so understand that would be about a 3 hour drive?
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Sunbum, the best time for the first visit is the spring when the waterfalls are full.

They have a website where this information is posted. Would you be able to come here on a short notice?

On recommendation of Fodorites, 2 or 3 years ago I was there during the Memorial Day weekend - end of May. It was so beautiful! That year the spring was late.
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Spring time is best. March is early for flowers, but the falls are full and you can go to the Badger Pass area to rent skis or snowshoes. This might entice you:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...1&tid=34614008
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:41 PM

I agree with spring as the best time. We've been many times in April and a few times in May and those are my favorite months because the waterfalls are at their best!

The draw back for spring is Tioga Pass is closed and there's a good chance that Glacier Point will be closed too.

IMHO, the Valley is the place to be because of the beautiful granite mountains and the waterfalls. The Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequioa's is another great place to spend some time. Both these places are open year round.

Summer is crowded. September and October are great months to visit, but we have run into dry falls at this time of the year....besides missing the beauty of the falls...I miss the roar of the falls in the fall!

Utahtea
Old Dec 27th, 2005, 10:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been in winter, spring and summer/early fall. All times of the year have special reasons to visit. In fact winter is probably my very favorite time - the waterfalls freeze as they cascade down and become "snowfalls".

But I agree w/ the others - for a first visit late Spring is probably the very best. I would not go as early as March - still the chance of heavy snow and closed roads.

if you had to choose just one time I'd go between late april and at least a week before Memorial Day. This would give you the chance for good weather, fewer crowds, and more access. Tioga Pass would still be closed - but other roads might be clear.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 04:58 AM

We have always been to Yosemite in September when it's not so crowded. The only falls that will be dry is the Yosemite falls,plus the fact that you will be able to come tto the park via Lake Tahoe, Mono lake and the Tioga pass and have that wonderful view from Glacier point. Paul
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:14 AM

We went the week after Memorial Day and it was beautiful. Glacier Point had just opened and the view was fantastic. The weather was perfect..actually warm in the afternoon. The waterfalls were gushing! When we go back again...I will go around the same time.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 05:17 AM

We visited Yosemite back in early June and the falls were awesome. They had a lot of snow this past year, much more than usual, so the falls were particularly impressive. In fact, there was flooding in the park in late May including one day were the park was closed.

I would recommend visiting in Spring as well. Historically, the falls peak around Memorial Day or the first week in June, although they run well throughout May. To avoid the worst crowds, don't go Memorial Day weekend.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 08:07 AM

If you only have time to see the Valley, then spring like everyone is saying.
But, if you have more time, you might want to go in early fall so you can access all of the park. The Tuolumne Meadows area is my favorite part-there are far fewer people and great hikes (some easy ones, too, if you aren't much of a hiker). This is only open in summer and early fall.
Another highlight is seeing a sunrise from Glacier Point.
How many days? As many as you can spare. I know a family that goes there for two weeks every year and doesn't feel like they've seen everything after doing this for 20 years. Others do the Valley as a day trip. No matter how much time you allot, you will have lots to see and do.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 09:10 AM
maj

We've only been once and it was in the middle of May two years ago. Luckily for us everything opened the day before we went. How much time you need to spend there is pretty relative to what you want to do. If you like to hike, you would want to stay more days (again depending on what roads are open). We thought the Panorama Hike was fantastic, but unless you want to hike it both up and down (and even then the trails may be closed), you need to be able to go up to Glacier Point. If you want to see the highlights, take some short hikes, etc. you can go at any time and just stay in the valley. (we thought spring was fantastic) Fodors used to have a great 1 or 2 day itinerary which could get you started on what you want to do. One thing we didn't do that is highly recommended (and I wish we would have done it) is the valley tour. Personally if one of my kids lived in Sacramento, I would go to Yosemite in every season (except summer -- hate crowds).
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

We are considering visiting Yosemite over Easter- is that too early to enjoy much?

We'd be driving from Sacramento- dont have a clue about where to stay - any suggestions? We don't have a big budget-but want somewhere nice and comfortable

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 02:25 PM

You better make your reservations right now!! I checked and was surprised to see that you can still get a room at Yosemite Lodge, but only for April 15, not the 16th. There is space at the Wawona Hotel (not in the Valley) and Curry Village (tent cabins) both nights.
http://www.yosemitepark.com/bookonline.cfm?sectionID=22
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

I am very confused about being in the valley, not in the valley - I think I want to be in the valley- do I?
What entrance is closest to Sac?
There is Yosemite Lodge and Yosemite View Lodge - I think - is one in a better location than the other?

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 02:52 PM

I am very interested in seeing the waterfalls, but I will not be able to go until August. Will I be able to see anything? I am from Philadelphia, PA so I don't have a choice...
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 02:56 PM

Sunbum, Yosemite Lodge is located in Yosemite Valley. If you can get reservations, go for it.

Lee Ann
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:00 PM

Yosemite valley is where most of the park highlights are concentrated - Yosemite Falls, Bridalveil Falls, El Capitan, views of Half Dome, etc. The Merced river goes through the middle of the valley and there are plenty of picturesque meadows along the river. This is where most people base themselves because is is absolutely gorgeous, there are concession services, and it is convinient for seeing the other parts of the park as well. Yosemite Valley is also open year round, whereas other areas of the park close.

Wawona is at the southern end of the park and is where the grove of giant sequoias is. This part of the park is open year round, but can occasionally close due to snow. This is about 30 minutes from the valley, maybe 45.

Toulumne Meadows and the rest of the high country is the area that is closed all winter due to snow and only opens once the last snow falls and the road is cleared. This area is more spread out than the valley and is also a longer drive. In the summer time though, when Yosemite valley is quite crowded, Tuolumne Meadows is a very nice place to be.

I see you are planning to go up in April - the high country wont be open at that time.

From Sacramento, the fastest route into Yosemite is along Hwy 120. I'd probably go south on 99 to 120. Either that or head up to hwy 49 and take that south to hwy 120 for a more scenic route. You can also take Hwy 140 into Yosemite - you would pick this road up further south. If you were to stay in Mariposa or El Portal, that is the road you would take.

The Yosemite Lodge is in Yosemite valley. Yosemite View Lodge is in the town of El Portal, which is a few miles outside the park on Hwy 140 and about a 30 minute drive into the valley.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:08 PM

Sunburn---Yosemite Lodge is IN the Valley. That is where you want to be. The lodging "near" the valley is outside the park boundary, a 30-minute drive away. It's a pretty drive, but not something you want to do repeatedly. It is way the best to stay in he Valley if you can get the reservation.

Kerry---as for August, it depends on the year. Last time I was there in August (2004), Yosemite Falls was reduced to a trickle. Other falls, such as Vernal and Nevada, are still lively, but you hike to them. The beauty of the Valley is awesome even if Yosemite Falls is dry. But August is, unfortunately, the most crowded time.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info- I am getting a better picture I think- guess I just have to make a plan and go for it.

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:22 PM

Ooh, I love Yosemite (thus the name). I've been there in every season and each one is special. Okay, that wasn't much help. But you know what is? This fantastic site: http://www.yosemitefun.com/

It is written by another "nut" who has posted what you seek (and is an amazing photographer, to boot). You should find everything you need to know there.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 04:24 PM

Yosemite is great anytime of the year. We were there last week of September, sure the waterfalls on the beaten path are a little low, but Vernal & Nevada run strong. The hiking is amazing. Rent a bike & ride around the valley a couple of times, it is all flat. Hardly no traffic this time of the year. If you want great accomodations still in the park, but off the beaten bath head to one of the cabins in Foresta. Check out www.4yosemite.com. Great area to relax after a tough day of hiking. Clouds Rest & Meadow woods are really nice. If you are really up to it head up Vernal, Nevada falls to Half Dome. Quite an accomplishment. Have a great time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -