Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which Island for a 3 week base over Christmas New Year?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2016, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Firstly, I would like to apologise for my total lack of research to this point.

We have just decided to consider Hawaii for a 3 week trip over the Christmas holiday period and I really don't know where to start. After the amazing guidance that I received when planning a West Coast trip in 2010, I thought that I may begin by leaning on the great wealth of knowledge available on this forum to help commence the planning stage of our trip.

We are a family of 4 from regional Australia. Our 2 boys are now almost men and will be 17&3/4 and 15 at the time of travel. It is possible that our older boy may like to bring a friend on this trip, so will need to look at options for accommodating 5 on a modest budget.

My first question is; Is it feasible use one Island as a home base for around 20 days? I am under no illusions that it will be possible to "see it all", but we want to see as much as possible at a relaxed pace.

We would like to take in the natural beauty and still be within arms reach of a built up location for some shopping, restaurants and entertainment.

I would love to take in Pearl Harbour and one of the Volcanos and the kids would possibly like to learn how to surf and spend time swimming on a safe beach, not teeming with other souls but not necessarily deserted.

We are happy to hire a car for some of our time and do day or overnight trips to the other Islands where necessary.

I have looked at some holiday rentals on VRBO and have established that there are condos and houses available within our modest $150-$200 budget, but will these be in locations that will make this trip practical?

We could also consider splitting our time with perhaps a 5/15 day split, if it made much more sense than to use a single Island.

Where would you start?
Old May 23rd, 2016, 04:30 PM

Island hopping if you have that much time IMO is the thing to do. You should try if possible to arrange your flights so you arrive on the first island, then fly between islands and home from the last island you visit. No backtracking and extra cost that way. If it is not possible, then make Oahu your last island so you will not have to connect the day you fly home.

PS, I am on Maui at this moment and flying to Kauai tomorrow for another week, then home from Kauai. But I live in California
Old May 23rd, 2016, 04:39 PM

I would probably do a split.

Oahu has much to offer and can keep you and your family busy and happy. I often spend a full week on Oahu and am never bored. An additional week would be welcome, but I don't have that option in my schedule. A car for a day or two would allow you to make the island drive...which I sometimes do twice in a week! It's so much fun! There are so many quiet beaches around the island; and there are the shrimp trucks for the tastiest lunch on Oahu; and scenery that means lots of photo stops along the way. You said you want a place with shopping, restaurants and entertainment and Oahu has all of that. Would I spend all 20 days there? Ummmmm... no.

I really like the big island for its diversity of landscape and geography. A car is a must IMO. A couple of nights around Hilo and the volcanoes plus a couple of nights along a west coast beach (I like the Waikoloa area rather than Kailua-Kona) would give you an interesting mix.

I have no idea where VRBO rentals might be located as I have never used them.

I have done the day trip flights/tours from Oahu to the other islands. For a solo traveller they are a good option. For a family they would be very expensive IMO. You could buy just the flights and then rent your own car for touring... Each island has its own charms and uniqueness.

Have fun planning!

Carol
Old May 23rd, 2016, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi hpeabody,

Thank you for your quick reply.

We will fly Jetstar from Australia as it is our cheapest option. This will arrive and depart from Honolulu.

If you were to pick 2 Islands for a 15/5 or 12/8 split, which would you recommend?

I am 50 and active, my wife is mid 40's and the boys are mid/late teens.

We are pretty 'go with the flow' types who are happy to immerse ourselves in our destinations and do "what the locals do" with a little bit of tourism on the side, rather than just try and tick as many boxes as we can.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi Carol.

I hope you are well after your scare?

I am finally back planning travel again. Hooray!!!! Hopefully this time it comes to fruition.

I have only just scanned through your last Bangkok trip report and it sounds like you had another fantastic time.

It certainly sounds like a 2 Island split would make sense.

We are trying to get a Holiday rental rather than hotels for a bit of extra space at a price, and many want a 1 week minimum at that time of year. VRBO is the one that I have looked at so far but I presume there are many.

Is there an area on Oahu that you think would suit us best?
Old May 23rd, 2016, 06:56 PM

I agree with Carol's advice. I am partial to Maui, beautiful water, always plenty to do and many many VRBO condos (I am in one right now) I like the Kaanapali/Honokowai area, but many families love Wailea too. A rental car is a must on the outer islands. Also VRBO condos in Waikiki. You probably only need a rental car for a couple days to drive around on the island of Oahu. The north shore is great. The boys would also probably like Hawaii for the volcano national park. You actually have time enough for 3 islands if the budget permits. I would ration the time as follows, most on Maui, then Oahu, least on Hawaii. 1 week on Oahu is good, I think.
Old May 24th, 2016, 05:31 AM

Hi Shane! I'm doing ok...still this side of the grass and still fighting. Results of latest scan this morning!!! Thanks for asking. Bangkok was fabulous, as always. We will go back again end of August.

My favorite part of Oahu is around Waikiki. Between Waikiki and the Ali Wai (sp) canal would put you in walking distance to pretty much everything. The hop on hop off shuttle can get you to the sea life park and the big Ala Moana mall. Or, the local buses...they go everywhere, cheap, but not in a hurry. I have never checked VRBO to see if this area is in their listings but I would not be surprised if it would be, as this is the main tourist area.

My favorite outer island is the big isand. As I mentioned before, I love its diversity. Within minutes you drive from black lava fields to lush green rain forest vegetation. I also like a day trip to the cowboy country around Waimea. I have also driven up to the Mauna Kea visitors center. The view is awesome! To go further up the mountain you must have 4 wheel drive.

Sorry to say, Maui is my least favorite. I know it is preferred by many. To each his own...

I like your 12/8 split idea, or maybe 14/6 with the bulk of the time on Oahu. Or, since you fly in and out of Oahu, maybe something like a 10/5/5 with the big island in the middle of two Oahu stays.

Carol
Old May 24th, 2016, 06:26 AM

Everybody has their own favorite island -- and mine is Kauai. Kauai is the only place where I feel like I'm experiencing my fantasy of "Hawaii" -- especially on the North Shore.

I simply do not get the appeal of the Big Island -- although I know people who say it's their fave. If seeing a volcano is a priority -- there's no where else to do it. But the odds are VERY slim that you will see any lava, unless your timing is right and you do a night time helicopter ride. I was there last summer and saw steam. I admit, I've been there several times (years ago) when there was lava flowing -- and for me, just seeing steam vents was no big deal. Miles and miles of stark black lava fields don't do it for me.

I'm not saying there are not beautiful places on the Big Island. Of course there are. My favorite is the Place of Refuge. The beach at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel was beautiful, and there is good snorkeling to be found, as well. FYI, I go back every year for a conference, so I've seen quite a bit of the island.

Maui just feels so overdeveloped to me. There are some gorgeous sites, but I prefer to see my beauty without wall-to-wall high rises framing it--and crowds. I LOVED Haleakala and several other places, but overall, I did not like being there and have no desire to return. It feels too much like a "city" to me. But that said, I know people who love Maui. My niece and nephew loved Maui. But when they came to Kauai they said they would never go back to Maui.

Similarly, for me, Oahu has some wonderful attractions and places (i.e., the North Shore) where you can somewhat escape the crowds, but I don't go to Hawaii for freeways, upscale gourmet dining, or designer shopping.

For me, no other island matches the natural beauty of Kauai--or the accessibility to that beauty. The diversity between the North Shore (where I will be in six days!) and the stunning Waimea Canyon is amazing, and the other islands pale in comparison to me -- although they all have their appeal.

I think it all depends on what you love and what you want to see. For me, it's all about natural beauty and nature; hiking; nature walks; stunning beaches ... and that's Kauai.

The good news is that you'll probably love it regardless of what you decide.
Old May 24th, 2016, 09:20 AM

Everything songdoc said is true for me too. I don't love the Big Island because it doesn't feel "tropical" (although the area north of the Kohala coast - toward Hawi - is beautiful). That's what I DO love about Kauai - so lush and gorgeous. Maui I agree is overdeveloped -- it's beautiful within the resort areas, but not so much outside of them (except for upcountry and Haleakala crater). Oahu - Waikiki is fun despite it being totally "developed", and there are gorgeous places on the island outside of Waikiki (but not so many places to stay).

With teens, I'd recommend Oahu for sure, and then it depends on your interests. If the water and beaches and nature, Kauai. If restaurants and shopping and some sightseeing, along with beaches, Maui. If lava and watersports, the Big Island.
Old May 24th, 2016, 12:08 PM

Hi, Shanek, the good news is that there is no wrong answer to the question of which islands to visit. I'm also a fan of Kauai. We now spend a month there every year. It's pretty quiet - little/no nightlife (though some excellent restaurants) so it isn't for everyone.

Enjoy!
Old May 24th, 2016, 02:11 PM

You need to pick your islands first, as you are getting late to the party, many places will have 7 night minimums over the holidays and places book well in advance.
I would pick Oahu and Kauai although you might like Maui for the whales.
You need a rental car anywhere outside of Waikiki, the buses on the outer island are designed to transport locals and do not travel to places tourists want to visit, such as Waimea Canyon on Kauai. Plus at least on Oahu and Kauai you cannot take luggage on the bus, unless it fits on your lap like a daypack.
Make sure any VRBO is legal, Hawaii has areas called VDA (Visitor Designated Areas) designed for tourists to stay. Any legal rental should be able to provide you with their TVR number (do not confuse this with their tax ID). I would hate to see you arrive and find your rental was shutdown for non-compliance.
You'll need a 2 bedroom condo.
Old May 25th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks All.

I knew that this would be a contentious issue and appreciate all your advice.

As I expected, there is no definitive answer but all your replies have given me some perspective. As always, I find the first hand opinions here much more concise and personal than what I can gain from guidebooks.

I will return with lots of specific questions when we have confirmed our trip.