Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One Island or Two for 8 day Hawaii anniversary trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:49 PM
Deblynn

Need to decide which islands to visit in Hawaii. We will have about 8 days. It's our anniversary, and I don't want to be going non-stop all the time, want some relaxation and romance. Should mention, we've never been to Hawaii. Any suggestions will help. Thanks

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Deblynn, with 8 days you sure can do two islands. But you will more or less lose one day getting from one island to the next one.

If you want to relax and just chill out IMHO I would do just one island. I am a bit tired and recovering from a virus also so not feeling as though I would want to bounce around much. But if you want to see two islands it sure is doable.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 03:15 PM
gyppielou

One island, and you still may be nonstop all the time! Research and decide for either Big Island with volcano and other side... Maui, including a a couple of nights in Hana if that's your thing,... or Kauai with it's north shore and canyon.

By doing one island, you can truly explore the island, while still leaving your desire to relax and enjoy your accomadations and favorite places.

Just my opinion. Use your search window to research hundreds of posts on each island!

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 03:47 PM

Yep...one island. Kaua`i would be my suggestion as it is my current favorite. Read up on each one and pick the one that sounds the most appealing. Don't discount Oahu. Many never get beyond Waikiki. While Waikiki is certainly worth doing and seeing, the island has much to offer.
Happy Anniversary!
-Bill
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:03 PM

I wouldn't ``split'' the time, but it might be worth considering spending the one night in Waikiki on your way home.

We love the other islands and it's their appeal that takes us there. But we've taken a Waikiki night on a couple of trips -- for the sole reasons that it complements the other Hawaii experience so nicely. The urban-beach mix has a special sense of romance to it.

Pack a change in our carry-on so the logisitics are east. It helps that HNL-Waikiki connections are a snap.

Just a consideration.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:12 PM

that's ``so logisitics are easy.'' sorry.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 04:06 PM

Agree you might want to spend a day or two in Oahu--it's fun and a nice complement to an outer island.

And no, you will not lose one day in interisland travel. That's the biggest myth ever. Just book an early interisland flight and you'll be fine.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:29 PM

For an anniversary trip you want time to focus on each other, and one island is plenty for 8 days. I've been to maui and Kaui. maui has some very romantic places though it's expensive. We just had a wonderful anniversary trip on Maui, stayed at Hotel Hana Maui and Maui Prince hotel.

Kaui is picturesque and charming, I love the fact that it has so few high-rise hotels, adds to the charm, great for an anniversary as well.

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:02 AM

I vote for kaui. I love it and could easily stay there for 2 weeks. You might consider taking a red eye home and going out of Honolulu and seeing Pearl harbor. you go all that way.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:52 AM

We are in the same dilemma,going to Hawaii for first time,25th anniversary. We are spending a week at Oahu with our kids,they go home and then we have 4 more nights. I'm leaning toward Kaui,but Hana and other parts of Maui sound so nice,also the volcanoe is active on the Big Island. ASny suggestions,we like acctive stuff,snorkeling,the boat ride to Napali sounds awesome and the north shore of Kaui was recommended to me but I really don't want to deal with rain, we're going early April,any suggestions...sorry to be so wordy...Joanne
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:10 PM

Don't let the rain issue keep you from going to Kauai. I think people tend to make way too much of the rain being a negative thing on Kauai. It isn't your typical mainland dreary, soaking, cold, depreasing type rain. It's normally more of a refreshing, cooling, pleasurable shower type rain that comes and goes and usually results in the most beautiful rainbows you've ever experienced. I find the many daily rain showers actually a very enjoyable part of the Kauai experience.

Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:56 PM

The call for relaxation and romance seems to point toward Kauai, but I'd point out that as first time visitors, there's such a wonderful variety on the Big Island that you can take in as much or as little as you'd want.

The volcano flightseeing is something you'll remember for the rest of your lives. But if you to exclusively veg and be romantic, it's tough to beat Kaui.