Hawaii island hopping?

Search

Hawaii island hopping?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii island hopping?

I'm going to Hawaii in a few days for the first time. I'll be visiting a friend who is in the Navy and has been living there for 6 years. He lives on Oahu. I've asked him if we can island hop while I'm there, but he wants to stay only on Oahu. Will I be missing out by only seeing Oahu?
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:19 AM

Personally I don't think so, especially for a first trip. There is tons of things to do and see and you can get any kind of island experience you want: the bustle of Honolulu, to quiet little beaches, beautiful valleys. You won't have the "lost" time traveling from one island to another, and you will save money. As I understand, and someone will for sure correct me if I'm wrong and I don't mind a bit, but it's not really cheap to fly from island to island anymore. You should have a great time. Oahu is and always will be one of my favorite islands and I have been to all the major ones.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Ag3046

It depends on your interests. Do you want to see a Volcano in action? Do you want to see spectacular deserted sea cliffs? Do you want to get away from highrises and see some incredible beaches? Personally, Oahu is my least favorite, so I think yes, you would be missing out. Each island has it's own character. Inter-island flights are normally about $73 each way, but there are some specials running now for about $35 a flight on IFly.com and Alohaairlines.com

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:40 AM

I agree, Oahu is my least favorite b/c it feels the most like the mainland. The other islands offer a lot more solitude and adventure than you may be able to find on Oahu. If you do decide to go to the Big Island specifically to see the volcano though, do yourself a big favor and fly into Hilo (ITO) NOT Kona! It takes about 40 minutes from Hilo to get there and about 2 hours from Kona. You want to maximize your time.

Have fun!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 09:43 AM

For a first-time vistor to the islands, I agree with crefloors -- stay on O`ahu. There is much to see/do...be sure to see the _whole_ island, not just Waikiki though! 8-)

Island-hopping is extremely time-consuming, with the airport inspections now requiring that you check in one hour before departure (not to mention the whole car rental pickup/dropoff headaches). Do you really want to spend _hours_ doing all this, when you could be on O`ahu...on a beach or in a museum or dining or shopping??? Nahhhhhhhhhhhhh....
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 11:28 AM

I'd say the answer depends on how long you're going for and whether you anticipate going back or whether you think this is a once in a lifetime trip. Your friend may not have the money or the time off or...whatever, which is why he's saying no. But if you don't think you'll be going back anytime soon, you might be missing out.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Depending on how much time you have, I 'd stay on Oahu and get out and really see it. Those that write Oahu off as highrises and crowds may have never spent time on the windward side or the north shore. Take a two or night trip with your friend up to the north shore instead of going off island.

-Bill
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 01:04 PM

how many days will you be in hawaii? if you have 10 days you could probably visit 1 other island for a couple of days.

don't mind those who pooh-pooh Oahu. it has everything ... from shopping & dining to rainforests and great beaches. just don't spend all your time in Waikiki!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 01:15 PM

We've been to many of the islands and really enjoy Oahu. Those who don't like it and say it is like the mainland, haven't taken the time to discover the areas that are not like the mainland. Research by reading books and websites. You didn't say how long you'll be there but if it is longer than 10 days, you ought to take a couple of days and travel to another island. It's lots of fun. Aloha Air is currently having special fares.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Stay on Oahu. Save the other islands for different trip.

Lots to do:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34812564
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 03:26 PM

I, too...don't particularly care for Oahu, BUT...this is your first visit to the islands. Your friend has lived there for six years. He can show you parts of Oahu the rest of us tourists will never see...secrets of the windward side, great little restaurants, local people.

Enjoy...and save the island hopping for another trip.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 05:02 PM

try this for starters:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...el/9587556.htm
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Melissa, the link didn't work.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll be there for 9 days. This will probably be my one and only trip as far as I can tell since my friend is leaving Hawaii later this year and will be stationed in Europe after this. Since I'm staying with him, I'm saving a lot of money. I don't think I could afford it if I had to stay in a hotel.

But from what you're all saying, it seems like I'd be OK just staying on Oahu. I don't think my friend wants to spend the money on the plane rides to the other islands and it's probably best if I don't waste the time in airports, etc. I just want to go and enjoy the experience. I've never traveled much in my life so this is a really big deal for me. Thanks everyone for replying!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:14 PM

Polly, I think you will find that anything and everything that you have seen and read about Hawaii can be found on Oahu. I don't kow how old you are, but my first trip was when I was 19. I as so excited I couldn't stand it. And when I got off the plane and heard the Hawaiian music being played and felt air and saw the flowers and tropical plants, I was just in heaven. I don't know how many zillion times I'd seen travel progams about Hawaii and pictures of Waikiki and Diamond Head, and there I was , I was THERE!!!! It was amazing. I loved the torches at night, the music, the shows, the beach. We drove all around the island and the scenery was just amazing. We had some friends who lived in Honolulu and they took us to a beach one day..I have no idea now where it was, but it was practically deserted and was just beautiful. You will love it I'm sure.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

I'm going to be 40 next month so this trip is my birthday present to myself. As I said before, I haven't traveled much in my life mainly due to money problems or not having time off from work, etc. I've only been to Montreal, Florida and Arizona and never overseas. As you get older, you realize all the things you haven't done and that you'd better get moving if you want to experience certain things in life, so that's kind of where I'm at in my thinking. After this trip, I'm hoping to go to Europe and then maybe to the Philippines with a friend late next year. We'll see...
But Creefloors, I love your description of how you felt when you first went to Hawaii. I bet I'll feel the same way and I'll post about it here when I get back!!!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:37 PM
sistahlou

PollyR,

I am so stoked for you! Time with a friend who knows his way around the island. It doesnt get better than that. I will be looking for your report, since I have been to the islands many times but have yet to explore Oahu....it just may be you and your report that convinces me!!!! Safe journey!

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I *love* Oahu and with only 9 days especially if money is a concern, I would definitely just stay on one island. There's tons of stuff to see and do. Don't miss Honolulu sights of interest (Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum) and the beach and shopping at Waikiki. BUT then get out and around the rest of the island, the circle drive and/or North Shore. You might want to grab a guidebook or do some quick online research for all that is available on Oahu.