First time to Hawaii adult kids and parents July 2010

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We know very little about Hawaii at this point - other than we are very excited about our trip! We could use recommendations about where to stay, which islands to visit on our 8 day trip. We'd like to experience a luau, hike to top of a dormant volcano, fly over an active volcano, see the waterfalls, coffee estates, pineapple estates, have some time on the beaches, and one of our group would likely want to visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial. We'd love to stay on a beach front and since there are six of us it would be wonderful if we could have a central living area with 3 separate bedrooms and baths. Don't know if we're asking for more than we could afford, but want to see what it would cost. Coming from the east coast and having so many other exciting places on our list of travel destinations, this might be it for a Hawaiian experience for the parents (60 y.o.) What recommendations do others have? Thanks already.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM

You can see pineapples at Dole Pineapple, go to Polynesian Cultural Center and Pearl Harbor museums including USS Arizona Memorial on Oahu.

You can also hike to the top of Diamond Head (Leahi Crater).

National Cemetery of the Pacific is also in Punchbowl Crater. You can take a short walk to a lookout there. Hawaiian name for the crater is Puowaina.

Snorkel in a crater at Hanauma Bay on Oahu.

The only island with live volcanic action is Island of Hawaii (Big Island). The active volcano is close to Hilo. There are also some really nice waterfalls on the Hilo side of Big Island.

There are many coffee farms on Big Island that are open for tours. They are on the Kona side.

http://www.konacoffeefest.com/drivingtour/map.html

http://www.greenwellfarms.com/

Lots of info including sites with free brochures for all islands

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 06:26 PM

With 8 days, you should really stay on one island. You could make a day trip to the island of Hawaii by flying and renting a car if you wanted to pay the money to see the Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park. Flying really takes up about half a day each way, so it isn't really recommended to visit more than one island per week.

Pearl Harbor is on Oahu
Dormant volcano could be Diamond Head on Oahu or Haleakala on Maui.
Luaus are on each island
Coffee estates are on Hawaii (The Big Island)

Or, you could take one of the NCL Hawaii cruises and do day trips. You miss out on the pleasure of waking up each morning at at beach and having sunset swims, but it suits some people.

Setting a daily accomodation budget is a good place to start. You will need to rent a car on any island other than Oahu. Maybe for Oahu, too, if you want to sightsee independently.

My personal favorite island is Maui, especially for laid-back beautiful beaches. I also would not stay on Waikiki again.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 09:26 PM

The most visited islands in Hawaii are Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. It is impossible to see them all in only 8 days. A good vacation would involve staying all 8 days on one island. Even if you want to see 2 islands in 8 days, you will spend too much time and energy getting from one island to another. The Big Island has the only active volcano. Pearl Harbor is on Oahu. All islands have luaus. I would recommend getting a Hawaii travel guide that describes the sights on each island and after reading that, you will get an idea of which island seems to draw you the most.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 08:07 AM

I agree with the others that 8 days is sort of right on the cusp. 9-10 days would be fine for two islands, 8 maybe not enough. That's not to say it's not doable, though, and if you really really think it might be one-and-done to Hawaii, then it can be done. Since you seem to be interested in sightseeing (not just lazing on the beach), I'd recommend spending 4 full days on Oahu, then 4 days including the switching-islands day on either Maui or Kauai (but I haven't been to the Big Island in years, so that could be great, too, since it has an active volcano).

On Oahu, I'd stay in Waikiki as long as you understand what Waikiki is all about (very busy, tons of hotels, condos, shops, etc., but on a great beach), and rent a car to go to "do" the island -- Pearl Harbor, the North Shore beaches and Haleiwa, drive through the center of the island (magnificent), the east coast beaches (Lanikai and Kailua) (go kayaking while you're there -- Kailua Sailboards is an excellent provider), and the other things you and Dusty mentioned. Then I'd go to Maui if you want a resort atmosphere, Kauai if you want spectacular "nature", or the Big Island for the volcano.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 11:18 AM

You're clearly an active group and no one island can satisfy everything you mention. When you're looking at places to stay, there is only one that is truly unique, a place that evokes Hawai'i as it was 50 or more years ago: Kona Village Resort on the Big Island. Not everyone responds to the village, but those who do, love it dearly (I'm one). To see if it fits, look at the website I put up--for fun, because I'm a devoted fan--and see if you'd like it: www.davidskvr.net. You can rent a car at KVR, and you can pick up a helicopter there for a trip around the volcano. All the food, tennis, and most of the beach stuff is included, and both lu'aus are free to guests. They have some terrific deals (which vary all the time); one of them was a rent-one bungalow-get another for half-off which might be just the ticket for you. Perhaps it might suit for a few days' stay, after you've explored another island. Take a look.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your ideas and recommendations. I looked at the Kona Village after reading your posts and it looks absolutely beautiful. Since it's all inclusive it might be as cost efficient as any other places we might choose. I've only just started looking and don't know price comparisons. We will be doing some touring though so won't need all the meals there. I wonder now if I can talk our group into a longer stay... If we have to choose between a coffee or pineapple tour, what would you recommend?
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 06:28 PM

I'll just add that Kona Village will give meal vouchers for selected restaurants to guests who leave the village for a side trip. They also provide box lunches (but they're box lunches--they're NOT banquets in a box!) I don't think there are any pineapple growers on the Big Island, at least I've never seen any. Lot's of coffee, though. I have no knowledge of the tours.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I have printed everything out and will commence more study. Also we just brought a new puppy home which is taking up sooo much time. More later!
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:59 AM

Hello. If you are confused about choosing the most enjoyable island to visit in Hawaii, I would suggest you to choose the Big Island. But make it a point that you don’t miss the other islands. It is sensible that you book your trip with some well experienced tour company.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 10:29 AM

If you come to Oahu/Honolulu, you might consider ideas found here

www2.hawaii.edu/~turner/oahu/oahu.htm