Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Hawaii November Trip on 1 or 2 Islands - Help!

Old Sep 14th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha everyone! My husband and I are planning our first trip to Hawaii in early November. We are from Massachusetts and are thinking about a 10-11 day trip. We are in our early 30s and love a mix of relaxation and sightseeing. We are not that big into snorkeling, hiking or diving. We are trying to decide on which 1 or 2 islands to visit. We would prefer a resort/hotel/inn that doesn't have a lot of kids and isn't too far to restaurants and shops (walkable or a short drive). For at least part of the trip I want a place on a nice beach... would prefer a place where my husband can sit under some shade (umbrella, covered chair, etc). We are planning on renting a car. In terms of budget, we are pretty open (don't want to be spending over $500/night). We love whales, dolphins, etc. We also really want to see the volcano on the Big Island. Besides the Big Island, Maui and Kauai also interest us (maybe Oahu).

Thanks!
Karen
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 10:47 AM

With only 10/11 days you would be pressed to see two islands - let alone more.

We love Kauai and leave tomorrow for 1 week there - then on to The Big Island for a week - and we think that is a RUSH.

What with inter-island flights (thru Honolulu) and packing, unpacking you lose almost a day between islands.

There are literally hundreds of places on the two islands we go to that offer what you are looking for.

Try www.tripadviser.com for ideas - I also use 101 things to do in Hawaii - it lists all the isalnds and tons of activities.

Google those sites - see if it helps

Mahalo

bbt
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 12:42 PM

I would recommend Maui for part of your trip. We were on The Big Island last year for a week and we would rather have spent part of it on another island instead of the whole week there, but that's just us.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 02:09 PM

I think 2 islands is very doable. To save inter island travel time, fly into your first island and return to your home from the second. That way you only have one inter island flight to catch.

Each island has it's own flavor and which is best can be endlessly debated! I always include Oahu in my itinerary. It has a huge diversity in activities from bustling Waikiki to the quiet north shore. We usually rent a house in Kailua or Lanikai( through www.vrbo.com) which gives a quiet location with easy access to other island spots.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Absolutely and completely a personal decision. I only go to 1 island each trip. I could easily spend 10-11 days on any one of them.

You need a rental car on all the islands, with the exception of Oahu (where it's nice but not absolutely necessary as there is good public transportation).

As far as walking to lots of shops and restaurants, the obvious suggestion of course is Waikiki. Lahaina on Maui also fits that description.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 03:49 PM

I agree that in your time frame, no more than 2 islands would be wise otherwise you would waste too much of your vacation packing and traveling. If you would like more rural, quite islands, I would add either Maui or Kauai to the Big Island (Kauai being the most quiet and rural). If you want less rural, more action, more dense population, you could add Oahu to the Big Island.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 05:44 PM

We love Kauai too but don't care for the resorts there. We always opt for a vacation rental. That way we can avoid the somewhat dismal restaurant scene and not have to drive up and down the same road every day.

Maui has more diversity. It also has probably the best beach resorts in the state and probably the most reliable weather especially if you stay in the Wailea area. But, besides the beach, you have the road to Hana, the drive up Haleakala, and the beautiful Upcountry area. There are also some great whale watching cruises although November is not the best month for that.

We like to go to Hawaii in November because it's not that crowded and there's often good deals to be had.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 08:09 PM

You might consider splitting your time on the big island. A couple of days in the Hilo area, and then the rest of your time on the Kona side. I just returned from a 1-week trip to Hawaii, and I spent most of my time on Oahu, visiting friends; but I spent 2 1/2 days on the Kona side of the big island as well, at Waikoloa. It was fabulous! Can't wait to go back there again. I love to drive... sounds like the OP doesn't really want to do that. (too bad)

Oahu is great if you want lots of activity right outside the door. A car isn't necessary; but I had one my whole visit there. It allowed me to drive to the North Shore to eat at a shrimp truck twice! The drive around the eastern shore around to the north shore is really awesome (most of the time). There are lots of beaches, some amazing scenery (especially around the east side of the island) and the surfers along the north shore... those huge waves during the winter months... OMG!!

Enjoy your trip, kgwoz.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 08:15 PM

Just returned 2 weeks ago (2 weeks on Oahu (4 days) and then 10 days on Big Island).
We stayed at Hilton Waikoloa Village that was amazing. They even have dolphins at the resort. It is a 3 hour drive from Waikoloa to the Kilaueau volcano. The volcano was great. Lots of hiking. Our best view was the Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tour we took (out of Hilo) to see the volcano from aerial view.

If you follow Highway 130 to Kalapana. There is a state controlled road where you can see homes that were destroyed (and still existing ones) by the lava.

Mauna Kea was also stunning from the top.

If you don't want to drive much, then I would not choose Big Island. We had to drive A LOT. It sounds like you might enjoy Oahu and possibly Maui and take a plane over to hop to Big Island for maybe a few days to see the volcano.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 11:15 PM

Wedid ten on th eBig Island and four on Oahu.

The Big Island is great.

I know you said you don't like snorkelling but or the best Snorkelling experience EVER go on a night dive with Manta Rays go tobr /> http://www.jacksdivinglocker.com/cha...mantanight.htm

Kona Coffee is Great.
http://www.greenwellfarms.com/

The Painted Church near Captain Cook is lovely and has some great hand made craft for sale. Not a very big range as itis just a church charity. We got a little hand woven bird made by an 80yr old.Lovely.

Unless you are really into astronomy and volcanoes, don't do the tour to the top of Mauna Kea. Drive up to the info centre yourself and there are free telescopes to use.

There are also telescopes at the crater at Kilauea.

The volcanoes national park is fantastic.We spent three days there and could easily have doubled it. Do the Kilauea Iki walk and the Pu'u Huluhulu walk. Both have guide books available at the Park centre for $1 or so or you can download them. http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/hikes_day.htm

If you go to the petroglyphs near Kona, near the marina, there is a petroglyph of Captain Cook's ship.It is off the track (about ten yards) from the first tree on the right.We also saw turtles at the beach there as well.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 05:58 AM

The whales come to Maui between Dec-April in case you can tweek your dates a bit. If you do 2 Islands, include Kauai. If 1 Island do Maui or Big Island(IMO of course)
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone! Thanks for all of your feedback. Perhaps I should clarify the driving issue... We have no problem driving a long distance to see sights, etc. We just don't want to drive a long distance from our hotel/condo to eat every night.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 08:32 PM

I would fly into Oahu, stay six days in Waikiki, then 5 on Maui, and fly home from there. Since you're not really into hiking, snorkeling, diving, I'm less likely to recommend the Big Island or Kauai to you. All the islands are wonderful, and I'm betting this won't be your only trip to Hawaii, so maybe you could do the other islands on a return trip.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 10:44 PM

"I would fly into Oahu, stay six days in Waikiki, then 5 on Maui, and fly home from there. Since you're not really into hiking, snorkeling, diving, I'm less likely to recommend the Big Island or Kauai to you. All the islands are wonderful, and I'm betting this won't be your only trip to Hawaii, so maybe you could do the other islands on a return trip."

ditto

Or 5 nights on each island if you have 10 nights.

Lots of info:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...trip-to-hi.cfm

For a free Hawaii brochure & a free brochure for each island:

1-800-GOHAWAII