Which hotel in Jersey City or NYC?

Sep 26th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Which hotel in Jersey City or NYC?

We are visiting NYC in mid Dec. to see my daughter. Grandma and Aunts and cousin coming too. (4). Daughter lives near Tribeca/ Battery park area. I have picked Marriot New York Financial Center or the Hyatt regency, Jersey City. Anyone stayed at either. I have seen the Hyatt and it is very nice, just concerned about transportation with an 80 yr old. Any thoughts?
Thank you
Sep 26th, 2007, 05:56 AM

stay in manhattan.
Sep 26th, 2007, 07:19 AM
GoTravel

Stay in Manhattan.

There is absolutely no reason to stay in New Jersey if you are visiting Manhattan.

Also, Jersey City hotels with their quick access to Manhattan have gotten almost as pricey as Manhattan ones.

Sep 26th, 2007, 09:50 AM

It's no more difficult to take the PATH train to the World Trade Center stop from Jersey City than it is to take the subway in Manhattan. If you think you'd take the subway with Grandma, then stay at the Hyatt if it saves you a lot of money. But if you would be limited to cabs, then it's a no-brainer. You really have to stay in Manhattan.

But more important, wouldn't you want to be within an easy stroll of your daugher than 20 to 30 minutes away?
Sep 26th, 2007, 10:12 AM

If Granny is 80 it seems likely they will be doing cabbing versus subway. (In Manhattan subway fare for 4 people will cover a short cab ride.) I would definitely stay in Manhattan - and not ask Granny to go trekking through a lot of train/subway stations every day.
Sep 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM

What about the Embassy Suites in Manhattan? More space than a regular hotel room and right near the Financial Center. Another idea is there seem to be a lot of vacation rental apartments in Battery Park. You might check with furnishedquarters.com and see if they have any that would accomodate the whole crew. There are other hotels in the Wall st. area including the Millenium Hilton.

Just a heads up that the area near the water tends to get cold and windy in Dec. Make sure everyone brings hats/scarves etc. Depending where daughter lives, there are also options near the South Street Seaport that might be cheaper.
Sep 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. It looks like staying in Manhattan would be best. For the price the Marriott is the best deal using a AAA membership. The apts. are perfect, but a minimum 30 day stay I think we will be using cabs quite a bit.
Sep 26th, 2007, 01:55 PM

When we used to go to NY we would stay at the courtyard marriot in jersey city. The path train is right next door and it worked really well for us. It was much cheaper than any manhattan hotels at the time, but i think the prices went up. We stayed there 3 times and loved it. i see no problem with staying in jersey city if you are near a path train and its cheaper.
Sep 26th, 2007, 04:20 PM

I think that several people have missed that this includes an 80 year old lady. And they will probably be using cabs a lot to make it easier for her to get around.

It's not really reasonable to expect most people that age to be trekking into and all around the city on trains and subways (for many people that age one set of stairs or a long walk in a train station can be an issue) - never mind all day long.
Sep 27th, 2007, 04:59 AM

Well, let's give 80 year olds a little credit. When my parents visit, we take a combination of subway, buses, and cabs, and my dad's well over 80, not to mention quite fit.
Sep 27th, 2007, 05:09 AM
GoTravel

Doug, as is my dad, actually 81, who stays in the city for extended periods of time. He is in excellent shape for his age but we refrain from the subways because of the steps issue.

I think it is an issue of common courtesy to the 80 year old not that you aren't courteous.

Sep 27th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Yes we agree with everyone, the steps etc are an issue. We have decided to stay in Manhattan. We have actually stayed at the Courtyard in Jersey City..great buy..in fact will be going agian in October. Need to plan so that we dont exhaust her. Basically we are there for the decorations and a show and to visit my daughter..a girls and Moms weekend. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
Sep 27th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Well my parents are in their mid 80's and in quite good shape. But they don;t do subways because of the stairs. They usually take the bus (I live uptown and they wait until 10 am or so and you can get seats) to wherever they're going and cabs coming back.

Despite being active for their age they prefer not to climb a lot of stairs, nor ride a bus or subway when they might have to stand - and perhaps have one of the "leaners" we're all familiar with victimize them.
Sep 27th, 2007, 10:16 AM

FYI: When travelling from Jersey City to NYC via Path the following information from PATH may be beneficial to customers requiring assistance.
Customers with disabilities are advised that elevator service is available at seven of PATH's thirteen stations. These stations include five terminals - 33rd Street and the temporary World Trade Center Station in New York, Journal Square, Hoboken and Newark in New Jersey as well as Exchange Place and Pavonia/Newport Station in New Jersey.