visiting NYC - stay in Brooklyn?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in NYC Dec 14-17, and the hotel prices are, of course, outrageous. We need a room that can accomodate a family of 4 - preferably w/ 2 double/queen beds per room. Has anyone stayed at the fairly new Brooklyn Bay Best Western? I like that we can get a room with 2 queen beds for about $185 per night. I've never been to Brooklyn, but I've heard of some good restaurants there. Is there good shopping?How long would it take us to get to Manhattan by subway or by taxi? Is it hard to get a taxi to Brooklyn? TIA!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 01:12 PM

I noticed a new hotel in Sheephead Bay - is this the one? If it is it will not be AT ALL convenient to get to the city. It's a nice little area but no where near the subway.

Any cab will take you from the city to Brooklyn (get in before you tell them where you're going). But to go from Brooklyn to Manahattan you have to call a car service and the hotel would be able to recommend one. But really - you don't want to stay in Sheepshead Bay to see Manhattan.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Brooklyn is very big, There are places close to Manhattan, but this is not one of them . Figure about an hour each way on the subway to midtown Manhattan. A taxi would cost a fortune, and no, it is not easy to find a taxi in most Brooklyn neighborhoods.You would be able to get a taxi from Manhattan TO Brooklyn because taxis are required by law to accept any fare within the five boroughs
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 03:01 PM

If you're considering staying outside Manhattan, some people speak well of the new Comfort Inn in Long Island City (Queens) just one subway stop out of Manhattan.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Try the Hampton Inn in Manhattan. It will be over $200,but this is NY City at the time you want to be there is an expensive time. You will be much happier walking out to things you want to see. Central Park, midtown Manhattan within walking distance.
They do have double/queen beds. Also you have breakfast. Hamptons are good for a family.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:46 PM

Sorry - for those date the Hampton Inns with rooms for 4 are running about $500 per night - those that still have any rooms left.

Agree that Sheepshed Bay is not someplace you want to stay - it will take at least at hour each way to get into the City. The budget motels in LI City are much closer - about 20 minutes or so - although the neighborhood is nothing to write home about (perfectly safe - but semi-industrial).

Sorry - this is just the price of NYC at the busiest time of year.

You might look at travelzoo or kayak.com to see if you can find anything better. But do be careful - since some of the Jersey hotels listed are 1.5 hours from the city, and some in Queens are used to house homeless families.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 06:05 PM

I did find 2 room at the Manhattan Hampton for Dec. 21-23 $226.97-king sized bed and 2 queens for $257.10. I booked these yesterday Nov. 9 and have had confirmations. I was very glad to find these as I had looked very hard also to find a rate and place I thought reasonable for the dates.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback! I defintely need to cancel our res at the Brooklyn Bay Best Western... I didn't realize how big Brooklyn is until I mapquested it. I checked the Hampton Inns. Unfortunately, the Hampton Inn in the Financial District (around $200ish) doesn't have any rooms with 2 beds on our dates. It looks like a great value, though.