Search

1st time in NYC - HELP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 06:08 PM
jil
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time in NYC - HELP

My family and I are planning a trip to NYC in a few weeks. Our main purpose is to see the Braves vs. Mets so we need to be somewhat close to the stadium - I guess. Having never been there, it's overwhelming to try and find somewhere less than $200/night to stay. Also, I don't know the safer neighborhoods from the ones we need to avoid. I've been told that it's better to stay in New Jersey and take the subway to wherever we want to go. Is there any truth to that? Any advice that you can give will be greatly appreciated.

We'd rather not rent a car so I guess the best bet is a cab from the airport to where we're staying. Is that correct or is there a bus or shuttle service to take? Please forgive my lack of knowledge. I'm sure I'll learn lots in the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Well - Shea stadium is in Queens - but you don't want to stay there (its primarily residential) unless you're going for just one night for the game. In that case I would rent a car - rather then trek around on multiple buses/subways (Queens has very few hotels - and they're generally just for the ariports.)

Staying in Jersey is not a good idea. the subway doesn;t go to Jersey - just New York. So you would have to take either a train, bus or boat back and forth from Manhattan (at least an hour a day - probably more) - which would still leave you the best part of an hour from Shea stadium (in Queens - across another river from the opposite side of Manhattan from the New Jersey side.)

Suggest you go to the web site of the metropilitan transit authority - which has a downloadable interactive subway map - which should make all this island/rivers stuff clearer.

I would reco you stay in Manhattan, see and do what you want there - get the real flavor of NYC - and then just take the #7 train to Shea (about 25/30 minutes) for the game.

Any neighborhood in Manhattan with tourist hotels is perfectly safe - although naturally some are more upscale than others.

To answer your other queries - how many of you are coming and ages (can you take a single hotel rroom if you can find a double/double or do you need a suite?) and which airport are you coming in from?

(There are multiple transport options from all airports - but the best depends on #/ages of people, which airport and which hotel - and how much luggage.)
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 07:02 AM

nytraveler has really covered it all. The easiest way to the stadium is on the subway (#7) from Manhattan. Here's a subway map link

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

NJ is a terrible idea for your trip because it's not anywhere near Shea stadium and you'd have to travel through Manhattan.

If you're really going JUST for the game, there's a Sheraton Hotel near the stadium that gets decent reviews on tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

If you can fly into La Guardia which is also near that hotel and the stadium, so much the better. But this is not a good location for NYC imo.

Some hotels in Manhattan and near the #7 train that might be affordable are the Fitzpatrick Grand Central, the Courtyard Midtown East, the Marriot Eastside, the NY Helmsley, the Shelburne Murray Hill and the Murray Hill Suites.

You absolutely don't want to rent a car
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 07:47 AM
GoTravel

While I can understand staying in Weewauken or Ft. Lee if you are doing business or visiting there, I can never understand the logic of staying in New Jersey when you are visiting New York City. Especially first time visitors.

Old Jun 25th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Stay in the CITY!!, you will be glad after that you did. Staying in NJ you will be wasting so much time getting into Manhatan and later in the day spending even more time getting back.

There are lots of hotels that will fit your budget. Try the Hotel Grand Union on E 32nd I think. I walked into the lobby recently just to check it out and it is quite nicely done. Easy to get from there to everywhere in Manhattan, and the price is around $130 a night. They have a website you might want to check out.

Also try www.hotels.com and priceline for hotels in Manhattan as well.

As mentioned the #7 train goes to Shea Stadium from Manhattan, so you won't need or want a car while you are here.

Have a GREAT time.
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 08:37 AM

Before a game the subway is mobbed with fans in their team t-shirts. Although the subway is usually very fast allow plenty of extra time before the game. As everyone points out, it would kill the fun of the trip to stay in N.J., or close to the stadium. Manhattan hotel prices are up a lot this year, but you will still be able to get a deal (may take a little effort). Aside from the hotel, dining in New York is not necessarily expensive at all, and you will love the experience.