Help-First time in NYC and need some advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My inlaws are flying into JFK in May for a short visit(they are from the UK) Their plane flies in on a Friday and we're driving up on Saturday to meet them and spend a few days in NYC before taking back to where we live in VA. My question is concerning hotels in the area. We want to stay somewhere inexpensive(less then $100) a night. I've heard the hotels/area around JFK are not the best. I was thinking somewhere in Jersey but they are going to need to find transportation to where ever the hotel is Friday afternoon. What would be the best option for them and what are your suggestions as far as hotels/areas. We still would like be able to be close enough to catch the train/bus to NYC to explore.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Finding a hotel at less than $100 a night in NYC or the airport areas is going to be next to impossible. If you are coming up from VA, can they fly into Newark ?? Better for your meet up and probably more likelihood of getting hotels on Jersey side near your price point and eliminating transporation costs from JFK to NJ.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM

You are correct not to stay near JFK. The hotels are not connected to the airport, so reaching Manhattan will take as much as 90 minutes and a number of connections each way unless they pay $50 each way for a taxi.

Less than $100 per night will be challenging anywhere in the New York metropolitan area. And unless you stay near a PATH train Jersey City, NJ, or in one of the new hotels near a subway in Queens, your in-laws will spend at least $20 per day each and an unpleasant amount of time commuting to Manhattan. Add that commuting money to your budget and for $130–$150 per night you may have better options to consider. Keep in mind that hotel tax adds about 18% to any hotel rate.

Some people opt for a hotel in Secaucus, NJ, and speak well of it. A few of these hotels are quite close to bus stops which may seem convenient. Other hotels state they are near a bus--a gross exaggeration unless a half-mile walk through an industrial area seems "near" to you. Since the trip from Secaucus to Manhattan involves one of the busiest sections of highway in the region as well as a trip through the Lincoln Tunnel, travel times quoted are at best guess-timates. (A friend who commuted this route regularly by bus often has 45 minutes added to the trip because of delays over the last three miles to the tunnel.) These travel times and schedules may make it difficult to return to the hotel at some point in the day. I don't suggest Secaucus.

The areas in both Secaucus and Queens (Long Island City area) are more industrial without many options for things to do and places to eat once you are there. At least in Long Island City, you would be just one or two stops from Manhattan.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Park Savoy can do less than $200 and it's in a good area. 158 W. 58th St. It is VERY basic but clean. It has been a year since DH and I went there.

I don't think you will do much better in NYC.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 12:54 PM

would your in-laws and you be willing to share a suite?? either with 2 bedrooms or 2 king size beds--you might be able to hit your mark that way
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 01:07 PM

I have heard good things about this hotel.

Even though there are shared baths, they are cleaned many times a day

hotel17ny.com
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 03:57 PM

$100 for 2 people (I assume you don;t mean 4) is going to be very difficult either in NYC or any place reasonable nearby. If you are willing to bid blind on Priceline you might find something for $100 for 2 people - or might not. You can check hotels in Long Island City (but it is mixed use) and you need to pick one near the subway. Also, the ones in good locations in Jersey(easy transit to the city) will probably be more than that. If you can share a room you have a better chance for a double double for $200 per night - but I would start looking for internet specials as soon as you have your dates.

RadioCity Apartments is well located and inexpensive - but usually sells out far in advance.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM

For random dates in May the TRavel Inn on the far west side of Manhattan has rooms with 2 double beds for only $175 per night. This is the only hotel in Manhattan with free parking (worth about $40 per night) and although basic it is clean and reliable. This will save a LOT of time and money over trekking in from outer area I would reserve this immediately and then look around to see what else may be available. (For example, ferry from NJ to NYC is about $15 per day per person - or $60 for the 4 of you. PATH train is much less, but the hotels near the PATH won;t cost any less than this - only the far distant ones will.)

Other hotels I would have reco'd are either full already or far above this price.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all-I was looking and was quite impressed with some of the hotels for the price in Long Island City. I'm going to try to convince my husband to drive to Baltimore and take the train so we do not have to deal with the car while we're there. As I think that's the best way to go.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Do verify how close the subway is to any Long Island City hotel you pick. As mentioned, some are closer to subways than others.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM

You might want to look into the Mega Bus as well for getting up to NYC and back. You can park your car free in a patrolled area at White Marsh. If you order tickets far enough in advance, you can sometimes snag them for a buck!