Search

Newark NJ to NYC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Kay
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newark NJ to NYC

Is it a big hassle to commute from Newark to Manhattan or thereabouts? I can only get a flight into Newark and it seems much cheaper to stay there vs hotel in the city. But is the commute morning and night a lengthy one and what is the best mode of transportation to use? I plan to stay about 1 week.

Thanks, Kay
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Commuting between Newark and NY is easy and fast, especially by train. The trip takes about 20 minutes to Penn Station. But where is the hotel in Newark? And where are you working in NYC? Give us more info and we can help.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 11:05 AM
GoTravel

Kay, coming to New York City as a tourist, there is no reason to stay in Newark unless you are sightseeing or working in Newark.

Every day millions fly into Newark and successfully take a cab into Manhattan.

You can always take the train or bus.

The hotel savings is not significant enough to warrent the time you waste commuting.

Old Nov 28th, 2003, 11:27 AM

Though I'm going to get shot down for saying this, I will anyway. Newark isn't exactly the safest city, so I would recommend that you not stay there unless you know it well and know the places to avoid.

That being said...it's not a very long commute, but you'd have to try and find a hotel that is within close walking distance of the train or a bus to the city. And then ask others on this board if it's in a safe area.

If you're going to NYC as a tourist, I would definitely recommend that you stay in the city. There is so much to do at night, and the trains and buses to NJ run less and less frequently in the hours after rush hour.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Kay
Original Poster

Thanks for the opinions and gentle warnings about safety in Newark. I am a tourist and a Canadian at that, so given the weak cdn$, the hotels that I have looked at in the city get pretty pricey for me. I was actually considering at the Ramada at the airport.
If someone can suggest some hotels that are moderately priced, I'm definitely open to suggestions. This is my first NYC visit and I want to see the NYC Public Library, the Met. Museum of Modern Art, Guggenheim and MOMA, if that helps with location of possible hotels in the area or within easing subway distance.

Thanks again, Kay
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 11:50 AM

I agree with GoTravel. You can fly into Newark, and take a cab or other transportation into Manhattan. The convenience that you will gain for the week that you are in this exciting city will overshadow the increased cost of accomodations. The cost of commuting from Newark on a daily basis is also something to be considered. If you do not have the funds to cover a hotel in NYC, then I would suggest holding off on your vacation until you save $$, so you could enjoy the convenience and culture that a week in Manhattan will give you. If you insist upon staying in Newark, I would suggest staying at the Gateway Hilton which is across from the Newark Penn Station. Remember, Newark is a big city, and unless you know the neighborhoods, I would take care in exploring that city. (Stay in Manhattan).
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 12:13 PM
ConstanceZ

There are buses from Newark to NYC that are relatively inexpensive, frequent and easy to get to. I would not stay in Newark under any circumstances! If you are alone or with one person who you want to share a bed with go to Priceline. In NYC Pricelines warn that most beds are a Double bed. Go to Biddingfortravel.com for more info.

Old Nov 28th, 2003, 12:42 PM

We have flown into EWR twice in the last year, one time spending the night by the airport in a great Priceline deal ($47/night I think it was), then taking the Olympia Bus into NYC the next morning. Not a problem at all for us. We had no intention of staying in downtown Newark, and felt quite safe out by the airport, relying on the hotel's shuttles and buses to get us into the city. Once in the city, however, we did stay there - not going back and forth from Newark to Manhattan. Only went back out to Newark the night before a very early flight, once again spending the night by the airport with Priceline for a lot less than staying in Manhattan and had to be up early so it worked out great.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 12:53 PM

I have stayed at the Hilton Gateway, right across the street from the Newark Penn Rail station - and found the very short walk safe, and for the $$ saved, it didn't bother me at all to be staying in Newark instead of NYC. Large, comfortable rooms for under $100. However, I've also stayed at the Hilton at EWR for under $75 (again, large & comfortable), and found that to be a little too inconvenient. I like to save money, but the savings to inconvenience factor must balance out, and I don't think it did, but your opinion may differ, Kay. BTW, the Airport Hilton did have free scheduled shuttle service to the train station, but not very frequent.

Do as you feel is necessary. Those who urge you to spend more money for your trip should send you some $$ to help out, right?
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Bo

Flying into Newark isn't a problem, but commuting daily into NYC isn't worth it!

Priceline or Hotwire will save you a bundle and should enable you to stay in a central location in Manhattan. Go to www.BetterBidding.com for help with using either service.

If staying in NYC via Priceline/Hotwire is still cost prohibitive, i'd sooner recommend staying in Jersey City than Newark as it would provide a shorter commute and have more commuting options each day.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 06:46 PM

Kay,

In adiiton to Priceline.com I would also look into Quikbook.com and bid for Midtown East or Midtown West.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 02:26 AM

Look at what Bo has to say. If you "commute" to Newark every day it will cost $22 on the train, I believe the least expensive and quickest way to get back and forth. You will also always need to take this train from Penn Station in Manhattan. This will soon get very wearing. Bid on Priceline for a
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 04:50 PM

Gateway Hilton is right across from Newark Penn Station. If it saves you a lot of money on the hotel, then book there & take the train. Check the rates for NJ Transit. Should be pretty cheap. Since you are not familiar with the Newark area, I would not recommend any other hotels in that city. The airport hotels are out of the way. Enjoy your trip.

PS: if you have time, check out a concert at the NJ Performing Arts Center in Newark. It is within walking distance to the Hilton hotel, but there is also a shuttle from the train station to the PAC center. 1st rate concert hall with world class performances.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 09:15 PM

Commuting to NY from Newark does not cost $22. You can take the PATH subway for $1.50 each way. You can take it to the WTC or to 33rd Street and 6th Avenue (right near Penn Station). For more info, you can check out the website at http://www.panynj.gov/path/index.html.

I too would vote for staying in the city. If you use Priceline, you can probably get a room under $100 a night. Checking www.biddingfortravel.com for bidding strategy. However, if cost is a major concern, you could try for a hotel in Jersey City, NJ. There is a new Hyatt at Exchange Place that comes up often on Priceline for $35 per night plus taxes. It is right by a PATH station that gets you into lower Manahattan in 4 minutes. There are also some Jersey City hotels at Newport area that to has a PATH stop.

So while it is definitely best to be able to stay in the city, its not the end of the world if you don't. Keep in mind, if you do stay in NJ, you would also have to buy a Metrocard for the NYC subway in addition to the PATH fare.
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:16 PM

Kay, forget Jersey, stay in Manhattan. Even if you get just an ok room, the benefits of being in the city will far outweigh the costs. If you're looking for cheap hotels, try looking at the Comfort Inn on 35th street or the Red Roof Inn. Go directly to their sites and check the rates.